• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Would you guys oppose

Muskiefool

say 10-20 Trophy Northern Pike Lakes with say a 26-40 slot with no spearing ban???? this is just hypothetical

just my thoughts, but we are not spearing muskie's. there is nothing wrong with slots, but if you check a few lakes with them already, they do not always work. I have the best catch and release of any one. buy that I mean I don't have to do any but wacth them swim. It's awsome to just watch.

But the question is, are asking about protecting a "muskie lake" or just asking about any lake?

Mike89

I'm talking about taking some lakes and turning them into trophy Northern Pike Lakes by protecting the big fish, I know in allot of cases a slot is looked at as a spearing ban and the 24 inch pike is tough to determine for spearing, so I just thought 26 as a number, I think it would be nice if MN had the potential for some 25+# Pike other than the occasional anomaly, I assume most here love pike and understand it's not a garbage fish like so many anglers have treated them for 100+ years, I would just like to here what the spearing community thinks about this idea as a point of friendly discussion.

I don't oppose setting up a protected slot for pike on a limited number of lakes. In most cases slots seem to be helping, and in others the data is a bit more equivocal. There are a few lakes that have it already. Are there already enough of those? Probably not, but designation has to be done carefully, and not to the extent that too much pressure starts to be concentrated on other lakes close to the procted bodies of water by those who want to harvest a few of those 26-36" fish.

It is possible that the current regulation of 3 fish with not one over 30" actually leads to fewer fish killed on some lakes because people would stop fishing or spearing sooner rather than continuing to catch and unintentionally kill slot fish during the course of a day while going for a trophy or limit of eaters. I am not sure about that but it is a factor to be conidered.

We have enough laws already. I would encourage posters placed at accesses encouraging protected slots, but the enforcement efforts just don't go far enough the way it is now. It boils down to individual protection of a particular water, and there are so many opinions on what is ok to do that this will be a debated issue, even with the science plainly set out.

Just my opinion, brent

Originally Posted By: Muskiefool
say 10-20 Trophy Northern Pike Lakes with say a 26-40 slot with no spearing ban???? this is just hypothetical

This is more than hypothetical. Northern Pike slots were put on over 70 some lakes 5-6 years ago with no spearing ban. The DNR is currently proposing to add to this number of lakes. See my comments under "How Valuable are our Big Pike" thread. No - I am not opposed to these slot limit lakes and have learned to live with them on one particular lake. I am opposed to the continued expansion of slot limits to the point the DNR may impose a statewide slot limit on all lakes. A statewide slot would reduce fishing opportunities and the chance to ever "go after the big one".

people think that spearing is so easy and we take all the big fish out of the lake which is not the case i suggest that if havent speared try it and see how many 40 inch fish swim by good luck i sat out yesterday for 6 hours and got 2 24inchers

I'm not being critical, I'm just wondering how many support or are opposed to the idea of a BIG slot on a few lakes that have the potential for trophys, I'm not talking about a restorative slot like those imposed on lakes that have trouble with size structure.

Welcome to FM Minnow!!

There is alot of times that you go out and not see anything big at all. Its been a little over 3 weeks for myself, to see a fish bigger then 35 inches. On the other hand, i seen three fish today that were nice eatting fish, 23-28, but was enjoyed by watching them swim by. its something that you can only see through a spear hole.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.