• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Santana negotiations; Mets backup plan

IFallsRon

It appears the Mets' negotiations with the agents for Johan Santana won't be over quickly.

Sources familiar with those discussions said Thursday that while the talks may not go right to Friday's 5 p.m. ET deadline, the two sides were still far enough apart that it was unlikely any deal could be reached before Friday morning at the earliest.

The sources also left open the possibility that the talks could collapse without an agreement, though the odds of that appear remote.

Santana's agents, Peter and Ed Greenberg, are believed to be looking for a six-year extension in the range of $150 million -- a figure that would include an upfront payment that would boost Santana's 2008 salary ($13.25 million) to beyond $20 million.

The Mets, not surprisingly, differ on the dollars. But the biggest obstacle appears to be the length of the deal.

Indications are that the Mets want to limit the guaranteed portion of the extension to five years, not including Santana's current contract, which expires after 2008. So if Santana's side is adamant that the deal extend beyond 2013, it's believed the Mets would insist that the back end of the contract not be guaranteed, but could include at least one vesting option year.

In the meantime, there are signs that the Mets continue to express interest in free-agent pitcher Kyle Lohse. Lohse was viewed, essentially, as the Mets' backup plan in case they weren't able to trade for Santana. But when one baseball man who had spoken with Mets GM Omar Minaya was asked if the club could end up with both Santana and Lohse, the reply was: "Absolutely."

Lohse?

R U kidding me.

They can have him. But based on recent baseball economics I would bet he will cost. $11 million a year. Not bad for a half-talented cry baby.

Yikes.

Boy, I wouldn't mind the Mets playing hardball, watching it fall through, then repackaging 57 to the Red Sox or Yankees so we can actually get a better deal. Should have taken those initial offers...the longer you wait, the more desperate you look.

i would agree with you 100%. I really dont think its a great deal that we worked out with the mets. I think that we can get alot more from other teams, but we will have to see what happens.

If this deal doesnt go through, the Twins will get next to nothing for Santana next season as he will just be gone with the wind. The Twins will never pay even close to what is needed to keep him. All the other teams will turn it into a bidding war to the highest bidder.

We should have dealt him off right away when the other teams were interested with maybe some talent ta boot.

I don't think we would get the talent that is in the mets package(i know there are a lot of questions about it) in any other deal before spring training if the deal with the mets would happen to fall through. The twins would have to hope for rotation problems with the yankees, red sox, dodgers, or angels in spring training for one of those teams to give up more than the mets are giving up. The twins would also have to convince johan to waive the clause which i think migh be done. It migh not be during spring training, but when the twins are out of the race by the end of may i think he would rethink his situation and go to a team in the hunt for the playoffs even if he doesn't get an extension.

It would be nice if the Mets and Johan didnt agree on any terms, but I dont think the Mets will allow that! The Mets have the money, an extra year on his contract wont hurt the club in the long run. If they let Johan go the NY fans will be irrate!

Actually, the whole thing is Gil Meche's fault. They had to overpay that scrub to go to KC -- kinda like they overpaid for Silva.

He was almost cut last year.

Yikes

yes, who are these idiot GM's and why are they overpaying for average pitchers

Barry Zito - 7 years & 126 million

amish, you might be right. But i think that Santana is worth that kinda money, just becuase hes one if not the best picture in the game.

sdstate hit it on the head IMO. What do you think the Yankees or Soxs will be willing to give the Twinkies July 1 for 57 when they are pursuing each other if the Mets deal falls through? Herschel Walker? I hope that the Mets hold tight. Major league baseball owners have become their own worst enemies.

I agree, the owners are killing other owners. Except, we never have an owner who steps it up, so carl doesn't count.

Originally Posted By: Dahitman44
kinda like they overpaid for Silva.

He was almost cut last year.

Yikes

Wait, you mean $12 million a year for 12 wins isn't a good deal?

Yeah good old mr. "I have a tummy ache so I can't pitch a big game in the playoffs"

That guy was a LOSER.

Oh yeah -- One million per win -- he will be LUCKY to have 8 wins this year and 14 losses and a 4.9 era an opponets average of .359.

So, should I tell you how I really feel?

"Johan Santana Extension Talks Continue

UPDATE, 2-1-08 at 1:32pm: Jon Heyman has an update as we near the deadline. The Mets are expected to give Santana a six-year extension worth $132MM ($22MM per) and also tack on a $7MM bonus to up his '08 salary. That would put Santana over $152MM for the 2008-14 seasons."

Found this at a MLB rumor site. Wish I could get paid that much for doing what I do for a living. Greed, but someone out there is dumb enough to pay it.

I dont believe romors from the media, they are to often wrong. We will be finding out soon enough!

So what if the Mets back down, do you think he will come crawling back to the Twins and ask for them to sign him with their highest offer? I doubt it! Or do you think Yankees, or Boston will step up and make another offer?

I personally think the Mets will cave and give him what he asks for!

Time has passed and no word yet! Im sure there will be an extention since it is a New York team!

Just heard on sportscenter that the deal is complete. Mets have him signed but the terms have not been released yet.

Id have to agree there. The richest contract for a pitcher in mlb history, and the highest for a player not named A Rod.

"Santana and the Mets agreed Friday to a $137.5 million, six-year contract extension"

Unbelievable!!! Hope the arm holds up for 6 more years!!! I wonder how high these contracts will keep going, twins will have to go AAA in a few years cause they won't be able to pay anyone, wait a minute new stadium coming.....hope they won't charge too much cause I'll be one of the first in line. Good luck to Johan I guess but better luck to our prospects we got!!!

As part of his six-year, $137.5 million contract extension - the largest contract ever given a starting pitcher - Santana agreed to defer $5 million per season at 1.25 compound interest from 2008 through 2014. The 2014 salary is currently a $25 million club option with a $5.5 million buyout. Santana will defer the buyout, if exercised, at 1.25 compound interest. The 2014 salary can become a player option if Santana:

* Wins the Cy Young and places second or third in any of the next five seasons.

* Finishes second or third in Cy Young voting in any three of the next five seasons.

* Pitches 215 innings in 2013 and is on active roster during final 30 days of season.

* Pitches a combined 420 innings in 2012 and 2013 and is on active roster during final 30 days of each season.

* Pitches a combined 630 innings in 2011-2013 and is on active roster during final 30 days if each season.

Befitting his status as a superstar, Santana will receive use of a 15-person luxury suite at Shea Stadium this season, including the playoffs, for all Mets' home games. He will also donate $250,000 a year to the Mets Foundation.

It's never about the money. It is about the competition and about being on a team that is committed to winning and building a championship and respect and Blah Blah Blah........

ITS ALWAYS ABOUT THE MONEY!

When in doubt, always "follow the money"

Windy

I would like him to tank, give up 5-6 runs his first few games and get 4 straight loses and let him see how the NY fans are and then see how much he likes NY then!