• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Sturgeon rod/reel combo?

Kylersk

Question

I'm looking for recommendations on a good, but inexpensive (under $100 total) Sturgeon Rod and reel combo. Looks like I'm heading up to the Sturgeon Excursion!

25 answers to this question

Get a catfish setup.

I've got a cheapo...Shakespeare Alpha spinning real that weighs about 24 oz with 6 ft heavy Rhino Stick. Altogether $40. Buy line and tackle.

My next set up will be 8 ft heavy casting rod and Shimao Cardiff 400A casting reel, primarily for musky and sturgeon and maybe cats.

What makes it a catfish setup? I've looked at cabelas and they have rod reel combo's but not sure what to get as far as action.

Cabelas King Kat rod would work great with a good Abu baitcaster and would keep you under the $100.00 mark. I have numerous rods and some that go near the $100.00 mark. The King Kat will get the job done and one could also use it for Flatties on the Minnesota.

Mainly that the rod is made of fiberglass and it can take a lot of punishment. Also typically comes with heavy duty line guides that are double footed. Fiberglass rods typically have moderate actions in medium power as they can load and bend throughout most of the rod. They are also heavy compare to your graphite rods. Many of times you do not use these rods to do a lot of casting and retrieving a lure. You typically cast it out and let it sink to bottom or just sit out there if you use a float. My heavy power rod may sport a fast action but it's just so stiff that it seems to do that. But when I've got a 30 lb fish on the end, the whole rod will start to flex.

I go back and forth on this. I appreciate the glass rods for their backbone and sheer strength, but at the same time love the weight of a graphite rod. As I fish for these things more and more I understand how important a lighter rod is. You wouldn’t believe how light of biter they can be. A lot of times I’m straight down and holding the rod in my hand.

Having said that, for the price I don’t think you can go wrong with the King Kat spinning combo you can find at Cabelas. Under $70, plus a free hat. It’s a quality reel to. If you look at my pic in the Excursion thread, that is what I’m using.

You can get away with a heavy bass rod, but could be in for a LONG battle if Mr Big decides to bite.

Kylersk-

This is a tough question as all of my favorite Catfish/Sturgeon type rods are now discontinued and unavailable. I'm pretty particular with my rods as Cattin' is what I live and breath all summer.

With that said, there are some rods that will work just fine. With each of these rods, I would be looking at the 8' models in MH action.

1- Cabela's King Kat ($20)

2- Ugly Stick Catfish ($30)

3- Berkley Glowstick ($35-50)

When it comes to reels, casting or spinning is up to you. I really prefer a baitcaster and I would put an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6500C3 on there in a heartbeat. I wouldn't even consider any other reels unless you stepped up to a Garcia 7000C3. A 6500C3 will run you $90 however. With Spinning, I would choose an Okuma Epixor EB50 model, they are a bit less expensive than the Garcia baitcasters.

I would like to go back to Dtro's comments however. Cabela's has sold a King Kat combo, which comes with a Saltstriker spinning reel. The Cabela's Saltstriker is an Okuma Epixor EB50, it just has Cabela's branding on it. This combo is a fantastic deal if you can find it. I didn't notice it on their website at all however.

Kylersk

I have some catfish combos I got for surf fishing vacations I took in the Gulf the last couple of years. I never use them here but they should work fine for Sturgeon and you are welcome to borrow them if you want. We're probably even neighbors since I live on the edge of St. Boni. Let me know if you want them.

I definitely agree with the light bite fact. I've not notice some of those and only find fish gnawing on bait for who knows how long. Mostly I miss out on the hook set.

The next rod I was looking to get is actually an inshore rod. Been eyeing the Shimano Calcutta rod series. It's a carbon graphite rod. I think Fuji SiC line guides. It will have to be ordered. Without an actual rod to hold in my hand, I've been hesitant whether to go through with that transaction.

PerchJerker,

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldnt feel comfortable borrowing them.. Hate to have them break or something while I used them.

Kyler, lots of affordable rods will fill the bill. Do not skimp on your reel choice though, get an ABU baicaster, 65 series fine as a 7000 is kinda over kill in my book and costs a bit more too. So getting set up may run you a tad over a C note but that ABU is gonna last you all your life and you'll be able to use it for lots of other fishes as well.

Start throwing all your change at the end of a day in a jar and you should be able to save up enough to cover the over 100 dollar cost!

fiskyknut

Originally Posted By: Kylersk
PerchJerker,

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldnt feel comfortable borrowing them.. Hate to have them break or something while I used them.

I understand, but you don't need to worry about it. I almost left them at the beachhouse we rented in Florida so we wouldn't have to haul them home. I got them free through work, and I doubt if I'll ever use them again, so it really doesn't matter to me if anything happens to them. My offer still stands if you want to use them \:\)

Ok, I'll take you up on that offer.

email me at kylersk at yahoo dot com and we can discuss it further.

Thanks again!

Kylersk, I also have a couple of rods you could borrow, and as for breaking them, I think they're bulletproof. They are spinning rigs and since I own a house in Minnetonka and one in New Germany, I drive past you place a few times a week. My #3 son is a sturgeon fanatic so he fitted me out with rods that would stand up to the abuse. They're yours for the asking. Bob

Okay, I actually ended up getting a musky casting rod. So that I can switch to doing some musky fishing. I might be inclined to go to Iowa and do some Asian carp snagging.

Ok, now that I got the rod and reels lined up, thanks again PerchJerker.. I need info on line and tackle that I'll need. I think I got the hooks figured out, just not sure how to rig everything.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Kylersk
I need info on line and tackle that I'll need. I think I got the hooks figured out, just not sure how to rig everything.

It's very simple.

Line: 50lb or greater superlines or 20-25lb mono. I have used 80lb Power Pro and 20lb Trilene Big Game and both have performed very well.

Hooks: My preference is 3/0-5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks.

Sinkers: Anywhere from 1-3 ounces depending upon current. I think I used 2 ounces almost exclusively last year. I use either bank or no-roll. Shape doesn't matter too much.

Swivels/leader: Heavy duty swivels. A leader between 6"-18" long made out of the same line that your main line is. I prefer a shorter leader.

I will snap a photo of an example rig when I get home.

Here's a shot of a typical rig. The bead between the sinker and swivel is not necessary, but I usually put one there.

canon240pg1.jpg

Can somebody explain what the purpose for a circle hook as opposed to a regular. What does a Circle hook offer over a regular hook?

In normal circumstances, a circle hook is used to keep from gut hooking a fish. The way it is designed, it will pull out of the "throat" of the fish and turn on the way out, only hooking the lip of the fish.

For Sturgeon, even with J hooks you don't see a lot of gut hooked fish, so I guess it's just personal preference.

What I really like about a circle hook for sturgeon is that, once the fish is hooked, very rarely will a circle hook pop out.

As far as hooking percentage, I don't think there is a big advantage either.

It works, so I just stick with it.

I know a lot of guys use regular J hooks or even jigs and do just fine.

Honestly, it's really hard to screw up this fishing. There are some fine details that help, but nothing NASA like.

Thanks for that explaination. I will have to pick some up. Sounds like a good idea for CPR.

Just remember FunFish, there is a little learning curve to fishing a circle hook. Once the fish has the hook in its mouth it only takes steady pressure to make the hook turn. If you set the hook normally, it will pull the hook out without making the turn and you will not catch the fish.

When they work, they work well.

These first showed up in the offshore fishing, and now that is pretty much all they use out there.

One reason I like Circle Hooks for sturgeon fishing is the way the hook is "set".

Sturgeon are notorious light biters. I always, always hold my rod so I can feel for them. Tap... tap, tap... That might be all you feel through the rod. If I think I have a bite, all I have to do is slowly lift up on the rod until I feel weight, at which point, the circle hook has already done its job of hooking the fish. Now I just reel him in. Pretty simple.