• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

4-H fishing day

My brother-in-law asked me to post this. He has 4 kids in 4-H (Weeping Willows 4-H Club) and they want to do a fishing day for the younger kids. It is taking place on Super Bowl Sunday in the afternoon. They were looking for a place to fish sunfish and I don't think size matters much. Just something to keep the kids interested. They did mention Waconia, but I have never been there and I know my brother-in-law hasn't either. Anybody willing to help us out? You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you don't want to share any info. on line. Thanks

Hi Schwanny. Those were the days. I was a big 4Her, helped steer me into a career and several hobbies. If I remember correctly, Weeping Willows are a Sibley County club. And if that matches your location (New Auburn), then I'm on the right track.

Anyways, I could steer you north to a few lakes, but I think you'd do better heading south to Washington Lake in LeSueur county, just east of St. Peter. It's a two basin lake with a couple public accesses. Try going off the north access out onto a big flat area of sand straight off the access. There are usually a few bluegills roaming around along with some crappies. You can actually get decent size as well. I don't mind telling you this because it is a community spot and there will be lots of people out there I would guess.

Be sure to bring a road map because to get to the public access you have to follow some winding county roads. Remember, it is the access on the northeast side. Don't drive past it, it's separate from the frontage road.

Lake Map of Washington: http://thoreau.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/lakemaps/b0202010.pdf

Good luck.