• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Original Sturgeon Excursion - April 19, 2008

I might slide in an early report for you as I'll be back and forth from home and the pond thru the weekend. I was fishing them Wallys thru the ice right up from Vidas ramp on Saturday, 3/8'r in 16-17 foot hung nice. I'd say that the current is moving a tad or 2 more than last year and fortunatly the levels up as well.

Here's hoping the weather stays mild as it has thru April so far!!!

fiskyknut

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• harvey lee

• crazyice

• Tyler Holm

If you could do that, it would be greatly appreciated!!

So what kinda conditions would make it perfect? Most of the river fishing I've done was best when the water's low, or at least not real muddy. I'm assuming it's the same thing here?

Dont forget your crawlers guys. One can also order them by friday at Moore's bait & Tackle. One can order them by the flat.-40 dozen. One can contact Bob at

612-861-7412

The buddy I'm going with works at Cabela's, so he get's 'em at 60% off. I'm getting 'em there.

Man, I can't wait! Only 11 days!

I waited a while to make my decision, but I finally decided to just go ahead and build my rod for this trip. I picked up my custom st. croix blank, handle, holographic guides, and reel seat last night. I worked on it for almost two hours before retiring to bed. Got up bright and early this morning, and now all I need to do is epoxy it together. I got all the guides tied on, color preserver is applied, and the second coat of epoxy is drying on the handle as I type this. I can't wait to pull in some dinos with that thing!

I was talking with Steve over the weekend and he told me he will have plenty of crawlers next week, so you guys can stop in at Log Cabin Bait and get you some crawlers as well.

fiskyknut

I've always thought about building some of my own rods. Just outta curiousity, what did you pay for everything to build the rods compared to just buying something of equal value? I had a buddy that use to build his own rods, but he usually ended up saving no more than 10% off retail for a rod from the manufacturer, and if you build 'em yerself I don't think you don't get the factory warrenty?

Originally Posted By: fishuhalik
I've always thought about building some of my own rods. Just outta curiousity, what did you pay for everything to build the rods compared to just buying something of equal value? I had a buddy that use to build his own rods, but he usually ended up saving no more than 10% off retail for a rod from the manufacturer, and if you build 'em yerself I don't think you don't get the factory warrenty?

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/125/page/1

Everything you need to know....and more!

Iffin I was a betting man I'd say the lower river and the bay will be wide open mid/late next week, Wed or thur. Looking like temps up into the sixties early in the week too.....Sweeeet!

thanks for the link dtro. I didn't even see that there was a forum for rod building on here. I guess there's a forum for everything else, just didn't think of looking for one

Real quick answer for you fishuhalik, so as not to hijack the thread, I used better quality components, so $150 plus time. It would retail for way way over 200 though. I will post some pics when it is done in the rod forum.

Originally Posted By: crazyice
Real quick answer for you fishuhalik, so as not to hijack the thread, I used better quality components, so $150 plus time. It would retail for way way over 200 though. I will post some pics when it is done in the rod forum.

Awesome idea. Then put us some pics of the fish it caught. Ok back on track!

Looks like I have to cancel my reservations for this trip. My Brother just got a new job and they scheduled him for that weekend. I was really looking forward to catching my first sturgeon.

I'll be up there on Saturday 4/19. I would be up there now if I didn't mind large crowds of people! Sturgeon fishing from now till opener is usually unbelievable...you would swear the river is packed solid with them.

Looking forward to it. It'll be the first time out in my "new" boat and I'm hoping to break her in right with lots of fish sliming up the carpet!

See some of you up there.

Originally Posted By: CatManLee

Looking forward to it. It'll be the first time out in my "new" boat and I'm hoping to break her in right with lots of fish sliming up the carpet!

We'll have our radios on waiting for the "Help" call grin.gif

Ha,Ha...Now that's funny. LOL. I'm bringing my brother along this time, so hopefully I'll be alright...Thanks! But...Just in case, what channel is it????

Talk to ya later.

Will be there on Sat am. Is there a designated radio channel for the event? maybe one for walkie talkies and/or one for marine band.

“I hear the boats a leaving their rolling round the bend, and I aint seen the sunshine since….I don’t know when.

I’m stuck in front of this PC and time keeps draggin on. But those boats a keep a leaving on up to Sturgeon town.”

"ouch" You're scaring me! Nothing but sunshine coming, and alas, soon you will join the boats.

When I was just a baby, my mama told me "Son,

Always be a good boy, don't ever ride in Lunds.

But I caught a Sturg in Vidas, just to record its tag

When I hear their wakes a-rollin, I hang my head and cry...

I bet there's rich folks fishing in fancy sparkling boats

They're probably dunkin' crawlers and threading up no-rolls.

Well I know I had it coming, I know I can't be free

Cuz I'm stuck behind this PC, And that's what tortures me...

Well if they freed me from this prison,

if the Rainy River was mine

I bet I'd move the ice a little farther down the line,

but Far from FM prison, that's where I want to stay

And I'd let that lonesome river float my blues away.....

**Dream Sequence**

Ya had to go and put that video up didn't ya Scott!?!??!

Thanks a lot for the sleepless nights until next week. grin.gif

What did I ever do to you!?!??!?!? grin.gif