• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Original Sturgeon Excursion - April 19, 2008

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

When was the last time you tangled with a fish that was older than you are? How about the last time you have battled a fish that weighed upward of 100 pounds? If you are like most who live in Minnesota, your answer is never!

Change that. Make this year, the year you do battle with a prehistoric beast. Give yourself the chance to catch your fish of a lifetime.

All are welcome to be a part of the 2008 HSO Sturgeon Excursion to be held the weekend of April 19, 2008 on the Rainy River/LOW near Baudette, Minnesota.

Join your HSO/FM family in search of the largest fish that swims in Minnesota waters. Fish weighing over 50 pounds are not uncommon, and fish over 100 pounds are possible. From jumps to rod breaking dives to pulling 100+ feet of line and burning drags, sturgeon battle like no other fish in Minnesota!

Bring your heaviest tackle, catfish rods, muskie rods, and even very heavy bass gear will do. Beyond that, all you will need is muscle and some warm clothes.

After a day on the water, join us at Schusters and meet FishingMinnesota Staff and other FM members and friends: putting a face to a posting name is priceless. To sweeten the deal, it’s very affordable, as well, thanks to Schusters who’s opening its doors to FM members for an extremely reasonable price $25/person/night for two nights. Contact them here Schusters Resort or call 1 (800) 243-2412

To wet your whistle a short video clip from 2005...

Sturgeon Fishing Clip - CLICK HERE

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DTro

• harvey lee

• crazyice

• Tyler Holm

Thanks to the numerous different Fishing Minneosta sponsors generosity, we have included these resorts for lodging for the Sturgeon Excusion for the April 19th weekend get together. Please mention that you are with Fishing Minnesota when you call to make your reservations. The fee for these resorts will be $25.00 per night plus tax.

Wheelers Point Resort

http://www.wheelerspoint.com/resort.htm (800) 542-2435

Adrians Resort--

Phone

(218) 634-1985

Riverbend Resort

http://www.riverbendresortlow.com/aboutus.html

1-800-292-3084

So, who is all coming to this great get-together for an awesome weekend of chasing this great fighting fish?

***Raising hand high in the air!!***

Won't miss it after the fun we had on the St. Croix I know that we already have a room booked as well.

There's no doubt that these fish will give you the biggest battle of any fish in the state.

Take a look at this video, and pay attention to the first fish how it just keeps peeling drag off of an Abu Garcia 7000!

Don't miss out on this trip.

Sweet video...looks like a lot of fun. Definatly some powerful fish from the looks of it!

awesome video bud, looks like its alot of work and alot of fun. Not like flippen in a 5lb large mouth

Originally Posted By: Bass N Spear
awesome video bud, looks like its alot of work and alot of fun. Not like flippen in a 5lb large mouth

For sure not a bass. These are the most fun fish to catch that I have ever fished. God I love them. They just about out rank deer hunting for me on my must do list for the year.

Just made my reservations for the weekend after the excursion at Riverbend. Can't make the excursion this year but I won't miss fishing the beasts.

Oh it will be ok Tom just leaves more beer for the rest of you grin.gif.

This will be my first year up there.....and there won't be much for leftover beer if I have anything to say.

I have fished the Croix for a couple years and have several 50 plus inchers under my belt......but these sturgeon in the Rainy have a little thicker body. I can't wait to tangle with one.

Alright, Cabin booked at Wheelers (Shusters only had larger cabins left). This should be fun!

Got a question though.. I read the regulations and if I understand it correctly, you need a tag if you wish to harvest one. Does that mean I can fish for them without a tag if I'm not planning on harvesting them.

Originally Posted By: Kylersk
Does that mean I can fish for them without a tag if I'm not planning on harvesting them.

Yes, that's correct.

And to boot, you can only keep one, with a tag, from April 24 - May 7 & July 1 - Sept 30.

marine_man

marine_man is right. Don't worry about buying a tag for this event, as the season will only be catch/release when we are there.

I'm bummed. I was excited to finally make this event but the one weekend I coulnd't do it was April 19th. Got a half marathon and wedding that day. Guess I'll see some of you at Cool Cats though. Maybe next year.

Biggest one I ever caught was a baby on the St. Louis river. All of six pounds. Count me in. I have never fished the Rainy and almost have a few times. I can't wait! Does anyone know if walleyes are open then, or not? They use to have an early season, but not sure if they still do. BC

Walleye season is closed when the excursion is going on. What a monster in that video! I can only hope to get something half that size this year.

Good thing he had music in the background. He's probably saying,"My arms are tired, my arms are tired, my arms are tired!!!"

End of April can't come too soon after watching that!!!

Looking forward to this event. I can't wait to try out some of the new cattin rods on these sturgeon!

Yeah, I was thinking about placing an order for a few things that I need before the trip.

Then I watched da_chise31's video.

Time to go make that order.

Can't wait for the fun!!!

I can't wait. Now I have the itch. I am buying a new rod and reel for the event. I am going to be replacing my one that I lost last year. With the same pole and new Aubu 6501c catfishing reel.

Originally Posted By: crazyice
Only nine weeks to go! Anyone else getting stoked for this?

All extremities raised