• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey hows the fishing going on in this area I have a cabin up on Little Pine but have once yet been able to come up and fish. I'm hoping ill beable to come up b4 walleye closes to get into some action.

Does any 1 know of a good crappie lake nearby?

You don't have to go far there is nice crappies in both Little and Big Pine. We also have a cabin on Litte Pine, and will be up there fishing this weekend.

I've never fished Little Pine on the ice, but I've caught some decent crappies on the open water so I'd imagine they're in there. My mom has a place on the North side and one of these winters I'm going to hit the ice!

I to have a small cabin on Little Pine and have never fished it in the winter. Have never even driven by the lake from November to March for that matter. We mainly spend the early and late seasons fishing from our dock for walleyes, but over the last couple of years we have gotten 4 nice crappies ranging from 13-15 inches. Kind of crazy. Does the lake get hit pretty hard in the winter?

-Hossienda

No,Big Pine gets fished a lot harder. You will not see the big towns like you do on other lakes which is nice.

The crappies were a total shock to us. We pretty much always use shiners and that is what we got them on. Where abouts do any of you guys have your places?

-Hossienda

Yes it is. We are also on Benny Lane. Fishing this weekend was ok. We did pick up a couple of crappies, a lot of perch, and a few walleyes. Where on Benny Lane are your cabins? Ours is on the south end close to where it dead ends. If any of you know who Benny was our cabin is right next to where he lived.

My mom's is toward the dead end on the north (we're at the end where the farm was).

My place is in the middle of you guys. Old fire number was like 106 or something. Not sure what it is now. My family actually has 3 places all right next to each other. One little cabin, a nice log home and then a house next to that.

-Hossienda

Hossienda, we're old #102 so we're just down from you. We're right next to the place that burned down 3-4 (or it could have been longer, time flies) years ago that still has the huge garage standing.

Jw, I know where you are talking. It is my little cabin, Trossen(place with the sailboat) then Pauly's where it burned. Stop by for a beer this spring if you are up for the opener or putting the dock in.

Sounds good, I'm usually up there with 1 or more of my kids for opener. You usually have quite a group up there as well. \:\)

wplatehunter - how was the ice on LP? More specifically, how's the driving condition of it? I've got a day off this week for fishing and I may come up for the day. I don't have a sled or wheeler, and I don't necessarily want to hoof it. Any help is appreciated.

The ice is good. I was driving my full size truck on both little and big pine with no problems. The only thing I saw on little was a pressure ridge, but we were able to get around it. The snow close to shore was deep, so I would not drive to close to shore. You will be able to see where people were driving. Good luck fishing. We might come up next weekend. If you are going for walleyes just a heads up they stopped biting shortly after it got dark.

Thanks for the report. I won't be able to make it up there tomorrow, but hopefully before the end of the season in a few weeks. I'll be up at my other up north haunt this upcoming weekend.

Remember the river runs through Both little and big pine lakes be careful By the bridges.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.