• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Crystal Lake (Dakota County)

Any reports/tips for this lake? I know the lake, and I've heard there's a good crappie bite this season? Thanks guys.

yea i live right down the street form the lake and there is a good crappie bite strait out from the access, you will catch abotu 10 or 15 a ngiht but i havent got one over 10 inches yet this year... i have also heard of people catching good size eyes in between the beach and the island but havent been out to try it yet

According to the DNR the walleye reports are bogus. The 2005 survey found 1 sauger. I've been fishing the lake for years and never heard of anyone catching any eyes or sauger. They say the sauger was probably illegally stocked.

i thought the same thing until this summer i caught two small eyes about 10 inches each fishing with small suckers off the peir for muskies

i thought the same thing until this summer i caught two small eyes about 10 inches each fishing with small suckers off the peir for muskies

Maybe the Walleyes migrated via storm sewer system connected from other lakes?

i was in about 20-25 FOW strait out from the access, my bait was about 3-6 inches off the bottom with waxies and small crappie minnows i might be out there too look for my small shappel portable good luck

I've been told the lake connects with Sunset Pond. Which is why people were finding tigers in Sunset. Not sure where else it would connect to.

Let me know if you have any luck with the waxies and crappie minnows. The last few years I've fished that area with waxies and small crappie minnows all that ever turned up was mini sunnies and perch. Aka fish suckers.

Keller and Lac Lavon are right across the street from Crystal and I heard long ago they were connected by drainage. There isn't a walleye population in either of those lakes, so they didn't come from there.

Well this is one thing I will have to check out this Saturday. If you see a silver FX4 with Trap Yukon near by come out and say hi. Will post the results Saturday evening.

No eyes but we got some decent perch. I'll be out there looking for crappies one evening this week so maybe we'll find some eyes at night with the crappies.

Good luck on finding walleyes on this lake. I know that there are a few and I do mean a few but I have never caught them. However there are all the 5-7 inch crappies a guy could ask for. Good luck

I am hoping to be out there Wednesday night. Head down after i get off work at 330. I doubt anyone will be with me so there will be an extra seat in the house if you want to join me. Silver F150 FX4 with a Trap Yukon. Come out and say hi.

I might take you up on that, however, this wednesday (tomarrow)will not work for me. I also have all the gear, and would like to try the lake out. I might try thursday. if you don't mind, let me know how you do tomarrow.

Originally Posted By: Wallabee
Does it also connect to Early Shores?

What all is in early shores ive seen people out there ice fishing before is it mainly pan fish or does it have northern too?

I'm planning on fishing Lake Crystal tonight after work. Are there any bait shops nearby Crystal so I can stock up on waxies and crappie minnows? I will be coming from Hastings.

there is a gander mountain and fleet farm both about a quarter mile south of the lake

Crystal will be a great lake in a few years when all the midget crappies grow up. I caught 12 in 15 minutes. Then moved and caught another 20+ in an hour and half.

In a few years it will have some nice perch and crappies. But for now its the place for tons of small crappies.

I went to Crystal last night and caught 2, 9" crappies, a lot of 4-5" crappies, and with a few potato chip gills thrown in for good measure. I think you are right that this lake could be great when all of those 4-5" crappies grow up a little. How long does it take a 5" crappie to become a 10" crappie, assuming an ample food supply?

I have fished Crystal since the 1970's. The fish size and quantity has not changed at all. Bluegills and crappies have always been over populated and stunted. 9" crappies are about as big as they get and there are not alot in that size range. I have never caught a keeper bluegill on Crystal. I have caught nice bass,northerns and a few upper 30 inch tiger muskies. It is a great lake for small kids as the potatoe chip sunnies are like piranahs.

Mwal

i heard of someone catching a 52 inch tiger out of crystal this summer does anyone know if that is true or if there are even tigers that big in there?

If they did catch a 52" Tiger Muskie out there it is a new state record. Got this from the DNR.

Current State Record -

Tiger Muskie: 34 pounds, 12 ounces, 51 inches, Lake Elmo (Washington County), 07/07/1999.

yeah sounds like a fish story but i did here it from a guy who works at the gander mountain which is a pretty reliable source so i dont know

I know there are some big Tigers in that lake. The DNR has stocked it heavily. When I worked at Gander Burnsville people would come in on occasion talking about catching big tigers on Crystal.

Enough stocking, with all the small sunnies, crappies and perch eventually people will catch some monster Tigers.

yeah thats true there is a lot of forage in that lake i'd like to try it a little more for muskie this summer

I know a few spots out there. I am just lacking the boat and muskie gear at present. But there are some really good spots out there. Check a good lake map, and I dont mean the map from the DNR website.

i fish it a lot on the summer ive managed too pull two out of there the biggest being about ten pounds but i also lack a boat so im stuck with bobber fishing the pier... but what other map is there to get?