• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lakemaster or Navionics chip for Namakan?

I just purchased a Lowrance H2o and I'm trying to decide which chip to get. Are they both the same for accuracy regarding Namakan? I borrowed a GPS with a Navionics chip last year when I was on Namakan and I was amazed at how accurate it was. The problem is that a couple of lakes that I fish closer to home are only on the Lake master chip.

Nels

Nel-Bells - namkan was not on the chip that I bought a few years back. but I love it on Kab. it was marked well. If namkan was added i would go with the Lakemaster, it is sweet for alot of MN area lakes.

I'm pretty sure I saw Namakan on the 07 Lakemaster list of lakes. I'm hoping that someone has used it and if so how accurate was it? I'm sure its just a DNR version but just so the hazards are marked accurately.

Nels

Just checked the Navionics 2008 chip & it does have Namakan on it. It's not HD but it shows most contours like a Hotspots map or DNR map.

My brother just got an H2O also & it worked pretty sweet on Kab ice fishing with the one ft. contours. Can't wait to give it a try this summer.

John

I use a lake master chip and it works good, the biggest probllem is that with the lake going up and down all the time because od the dam the map may be off by a few feet here and there. So far it has been very helpful. For me a big part was the Canadain side and I know the lakemaster chip has it.

Originally Posted By: JKing

My brother just got an H2O also & it worked pretty sweet on Kab ice fishing with the one ft. contours. Can't wait to give it a try this summer.

John

What chip has Kab in 1 foot contours?

Also is there a paper map available for Kab that shows the lake in this kind of detail?

Sorry for not responding right away I was away from the computer over the weekend.

It's the Navionics 2008 North Chip. I have not been able to find a paper map to show this detail yet. We did get the Nav planner software that allows you to look at the chip on the computer instead of just through the GPS. That works pretty decent.

Thanks, I'll have to pick one up before opener. Would love to get my hands on a big paper HD map of Kab somehow to hang up in the cabin. Has anyone heard if Lakemaster is planning on making a HD map of Kab? Thier website doesnt tell me much.

Yeah, my great grandfather built it in the 1950's. Log cabin, not on the lake but a short hike just up from the info center.

Farley, Navionics should be publishing a Kabetogama HD map, actually the paper version of the map as seen on the 2007 North chip. They did have a publication date scheduled for the end of January, for release anytime now. I know Gateway Store has a standing order in now, and they said they are still waiting on delivery

i have the 2006 lakemaster chip for minnesota lakes and kabetogama and namakan r on it.

Does the Namakan chip show the contours for the Canadian side as well...if so, I may have to make an upgrade? Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted By: Farley
Has anyone heard if Lakemaster is planning on making a HD map of Kab? Thier website doesnt tell me much.

Last time I asked about HD soundings of Kab I was told they put their time (and money) into areas that are more popular. That way they can recover the cost of the project sooner. You can go to their website and send them an email asking for an update on their plans for Kab/Nam.

My Lakemaster chip is lacking detail on Kab that I wish it had. Considering getting the Navionics chip also. Not sure which of their chips has it because they have a few options to choose from. I've heard it's pretty awesome, but you can't zoom in as close as you can with a Lakemaster chip. I sure hope Lakemaster is planning to survey Kab/Nam soon!