• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Douglas County Pheasants Forever Banquet

Oh yeah, it is that time of year again! The DCPF banquet will be held Feb 23, at Arrowwood starting at 4:30 pm. These banquets keep getting better and this one will be the best so far. They will be talking about the 1040 acre land acquisition they spear-headed this year. Quite an accomplishment for this chapter. Hope to see ya there!

Hey Cody,

Just wondering where the 1000 acre piece is located?? Also, any idea how many people have attended the banquet in the past? I have never been to one but would consider it this year if it works for my schedule.

-Hossienda

Go past Belle River headed East it is the piece to the North starting right as you cross the Long Prairie River and extending North ohh mile and half. Follow the gravel north after the river, when it turns East every thing North and West of you is part of it, the minimum maintainence Otter Tail Trail cuts through the southern third going NorthWest towards Spruce Hill.

The biggest problem for all the chapters of the "pheasants for the freezer" will be the turning back in of CRP land and the high prices of grain. I'm afraid it'll be back to the plowing from fence row to fence row very shortly.

kobear is spot on. It is a really nice parcel.

And yes, the CRP issue is going to be critical. All the more reason to support a group who is helping locally to improve wildlife habitat. Although if CRP goes away permanently, I would say that even the fencerows may be gone. PF's Dave Nomsen (from Alex, incidently) is doing a great job in Washington DC lobbying for CRP.

Last years banquet was in the middle of a snow storm and the place was packed. If I remember right they had to dish up extra seats and meals to accomodate everyone. It was a good time last year.

My father got enrolled in CRP for another 5 years...but he had to fight for it. He wanted another 10....

This may not be the place, but I hope someone brings up the topic of illegal road hunting. This is giving pheasant hunters a bad name and discouraging CRP land owners from letting anyone hunt.

I beleive that Bill Maynard should get most of the credit and there was a lot of other groups that threw in a lot of money to make this possible not just pcpf out of alex

Bill was very instrumental in the land acquisition. In fact, he was given the Dedication Award at the Pheasants Forever state meeting a couple of weeks ago. The Dedication Award is given to a PF committee member who goes above and beyond the call of duty in the name of habitat or conservation education. Hats off to Bill for his work. There were quite a few organizations who donated various amounts of money to help this go. All in all, a great project was accomplished. I in no way meant to say they were the only conservation group involved, in fact I said "spear-headed" which is what they did as the lead conservation group on this acquisition.

Let's not forget the great work done by Art Engelbrecht either. Art was my parent's neighbor and a great role model for me growing up; Art passed away this December. He was a real driving force for conservation and is the reason there is so much of the public land around for so many to enjoy in Douglas County.

I think that CRP is really needed, but I also think that access to the CRP is equally as crucial for ensuring all hunter participation, not just the rich. The amount of housing development and the diminishing hunting possibilities are some major issues that need to be addressed for the area. Land in this area is either partitioned for building or becomes someone's private reserve. Fewer hunting places...fewer hunters...fewer voices in the community. I hope this aquisition is the start of a turn around for the area.

hooklinesinker,

I totally agree. If you can support the efforts of Douglas County Pheasants Forever and Viking Sportsman please do. These are the groups that are making a difference locally. They cannot do it by themselves, they need the support of a lot of people. I know DCPF would like some more people on the executive committee to help them make the decisions on where to put their money. So get involved, come to the banquet and help make this area better for everyone. You will get out of it as much as you put into it.

Hey CodyDawg,

When is the next DCPF gathering? I'm living in the cities right now, but my parents are still over by Forada and I am up there every weekend during the hunting season. I would love to be a very active member in your PF chapter. Also, wouldn't mind hunting or joining you out in the field sometime. Your the type of mindset that hunting needs.

They meet on Monday nights. Unfortunately, I, like you, am stuck in the dumb cities. For now. I am from there and go back there quite often. I do as much as I can on the banquet from down here for preparation. I will be there for the actual banquet helping out as well.

Only 2 1/2 weeks away now! Man, you outta see the trailer they are raffling off. Hoochiemama!

• 2 weeks later...

just bumping this up to the top as it is coming up fast. we have been working hard on the banquet and man, there are some nice prizes...

Copdydawg See you are still busy with the Banquets and all. Glad there are guys like you to help promote all the programs that are good for the Kids and the birds as well. We need more like you. Hope to see you out west here again next fall, and hope the Elk tag draw goes good for you and your Dad in Wyoming this year. Still not a lot of snow here, and the birds seem to be doing very well as of late. Going out today to check on the farm to see if all is well there. CAJ

Why do you have a Super Black Eagle on your bench? that doesnt sound like something you would shoot!

Teaching Firearm Safety Class again. Man, is it possible that the kids can get younger? Wow. Some good kids, but some really green ones as well.