• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Coon Hunting

David Kasten

I have a English. Run him time to time. He's a 2 year old who's coming along pretty good considering how lazy his master is!

treeinghounds002.jpg

Nice looking tree dog.This is my current project a year and half old bluetick that i hunt dang near every night. I will be pushing him hard this year in the ukc hunts. Have you guys been able to get anything going lately? Is he registered? 697916-R1-11-11.jpg

He's registered. I just picked up a registered English female pup to run with him next year. Matches him for color real close. We are planning a run to Southern Iowa in the next couple of weeks.

UKC? Have you had him in any nite hunts? What part of SE minnesota are you from?

AHH i want hounds so BAD!!!!! my pa wont let me get a pair i have wanted some since i was knee high i picked up a sringer for birds but i want hounds so bad for coon perhaps cats and some day a bear maybe but i think it would be amazing,

beautiful hounds boys

~Phil

Yeah he is UKC. I've never hunted in any of the nite hunts, and don't know anything about them. I live near Rushford/Winona area.

if think youd ever want to come check it out sometime let me know, me and my buddies are always looking to get new people into the sport. I also know a lot of guys that run coyotes.

Have you guys ever hunted with blackmouth curs? I've got a 3.5 year old that I'd like to try and hunt sometime. She's got every squirrel treed in the neighborhood.

i dont know if i would ever do yotes but i think coon would be amazing... ever since i read where the red fern grows as a little boy.. it is torcher to let a kid read that and refuse to let him have a pair when he or she is ready to get there own lol but seriously... i was campin in far far northern wisc and i woke up early one late sept morn to hounds chasing bear and was lucky enought to see and watch as the bear and 5 hound roar throught my camp!!! and saw the bear after it was treed and hunter got it it got my heart pumpin

I've coonhunted for years, and its a blast, i used to run hounds and about ten years ago i switched off to curs and really enjoy that....

Coonchaser,

Where did you get your curs? Did you have any trouble training them? Mine is about 3.5 years old and really stubborn. Any ideas?

Well, first of let me just say that the curs have been a learning experience, They can be really quirky and wierd, and i've had a ton of them, It takes some doing to get some good ones, I sold my first 100 % treeing litter about a year ago and thats after ten years etc....

Let me know what you've done with him and i could give ya some pointers, I've had one black mouth and he was an ok dog, I know a guy in michigan that has a few and he wins alot with them, etc...

Iv never hunted with a cur but i know plenty of guys that have and do. Have you ever had her around a caged coon or anything like that? 3.5 years old is getting up there for training and teaching her new tricks. Not saying it would be impossible but i try to have my dogs hunting and treeing on there own by 1 year. The one im hunting now i had rock n' rollin at 6 months old.

The only thing iv ever heard about curs is they are very tight mouthed dogs, they wont let know where there at or what there doing until there treed

hcoutdoorsmen, if your serious about wanting a hound that would a good all around dog i mean it would chase and tree what ever you put it on coon,bear,bobcat,etc i know a guy in circle pines thats always got a little of Del Cameron hounds (bluetick) the name is about as old as it gets. Anyways let me know if your interested.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Those pictures bring back some good memories Thanks!

No problem, they are good times i couldnt imagine what it would be like if someone took away this part of my life. Good times.

no trevor, thats a pic i took of crazy craze, jesse nappin hunting the river bottoms of owatonna last spring. By the way, me and mark hit dale andersons and treed some coon, 1 bore was real big. Wait till warmer weather comes our way and ill be in the woods 7 nights a week.