• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pressure Ridge

shaky legs2

Kelly or Jon - did the pressure ridge on the NW road get any bigger or affect the road? When we came out early Sunday morning it was quite a sight. Thanks for marking it with the stakes. When it cracked on Saturday our house shook and water almost came out of the holes. I am glad I brought along another pair of underwear.

I was fihsing in the open when the "quake" occured. I imagine it looked like i was dancing a jig for those 5 seconds. Not the most enjoyable feeling I have ever had.

It was unreal how much the crack along the NW road moved. It went from a 2" height difference to over a foot. Didn't seem to mess the road too bad, just keeps a person towards the East side of the road.

Speaking of which, when you meet the white extended-cab ranger, don't be suprised if you get a wag of the finger if you are not over to your side far enough......lol.

I forgot to mention a thanks again to Jon P. for the WD-40. The door lock stayed good for the rest of the trip.

Originally Posted By: Roughneck17SC

Speaking of which, when you meet the white extended-cab ranger, don't be suprised if you get a wag of the finger if you are not over to your side far enough......lol.

Yeah, that guy is a real piece of work. We ran into him on one of "his" roads that shoots off of the 5.2 mile road going NW off of Hillmans. There weren't many houses out in that area but there was one that happened to be on some structure we were going to check out that looked decent. Anyway, we end up deciding to set up about 75 yards away from the house. I leave my pickup on the road as we are unpacking our stuff (we were packed to the gills and I didn't want anything bouncing out of the bed when I broke through the snow on the side of the road). Well, up comes deputy d#$%head, who pretty much immediately starts chewing us out for not being off the road, for setting up to close to his rental house, and as he put it "just being such a f'in a-hole"! (by the way, the law states that you can't put a house within 10 feet of another, we were 225 feet away!) Anyway, as soon as he made the remark, "you a-holes must be from the cities, huh," I decided the conversation wasn't going anywhere and got in my truck to move out of his way so he could leave. I back up to a split in the road and wait for two minutes as this guy continues to chew out my buddies. What a [PoorWordUsage]. Then this guy comes back after dark and plows the road another two feet wide to pile up snow on the side of the road I was on. Needless to say, I had a frozen pop can ready to fire at him if he came back again. That was all I could take.

Not sure exactly what kind of day this guy was having, but there is no excuse for that kind of behavior when we really weren't doing anything wrong. Yeah, the truck was in the road, but how hard is it to ask us to move it. The truth of the matter is that if the guy would have come up and asked us politely to move a little further away from his rental we would have done it. But, because he was such a royal [PoorWordUsage] we decided to stay. And his spot sucked.

Anyway, I'm done venting. Like most everyone else, we had a tough bite this weekend but managed to bring home a few. No crappies.

-Chris

He must have been having a bad day... I think the "quake" had him worked up a little bit.

I thought it was funny to see the wag of the finger cause I was over as close to the ridge (NW road) as I cared for.

Though I'm not sure plowing snow up towards where you were fishing was the most appropriate retaliation for what he viewed as city-slicker-esk.

Waht outfit did was that guy with? Behavior like that will definitely not get my business.

I understand the need to keep roads clear for the plows but c'mon. I plan on taking my kids up there soon and I would have had a very difficult time with them seeing something of that sort.

Please do not base giving or taking away business on one event. The outfit is very good and anyone who has rented from them will tell you the same.

Everyone has bad days.

Roughneck, I agree with everyone has a bad day but you have to be accountable for your actions.

What was the name of the outfit?

I have no idea which place he is with. There was nothing on the white, extended cab Ford Ranger that I saw. It was dark when he came back and tried to plow us in so I didn't get the best look at his plow unit. It was a V-Plow on a dark colored extended cab pickup that looked like it may be a Dodge Ram. Not sure on that though. If somebody knows who this is send me an email if you're not comfortable posting it here - I won't post it. I would love to send this guy a "Christmas Card" full of all the current ice fishing regulations and a few choice words on his demeanor Saturday.

As far as taking away business from this guy, he deserves to lose business if he is going to harass people like that. I don't care how bad of a day he was having you don't just drive up to people and start cussing them out for no reason. He's lucky I'm a pretty level headed person.

I have never seen 7 guys move so fast to get out of a fish house as we did when the pressure ridge happened. I think we all set land speed records. It actually shifted our house so the door wouldn't shut.

cpinkert: Chris you must have mellowed out from you hockey days... I can remember back then it would have taken two linesman and the referee to hold you back. LOOOOOL Bill

Surprisingly the ridge didn't get any worse today. We were worried about that happening when the bank broke through the ice with warm weather coming. At least now we know where the ridge will be. \:o

Originally Posted By: shaky legs2
I forgot to mention a thanks again to Jon P. for the WD-40. The door lock stayed good for the rest of the trip.

When the cold weather hit I threw a can in the truck. It works great on frozen fishouse doors, truck doors and even keeps the snow from freezing in the plow hinges.

No problem on loaning you some, couldn't imagine fishing in -20 below with a bad door latch.

Hopefully the ridge doesn't continue to move with the temperature swings that are comming up.

Though I'm sure you guys will manage it if it does. Everyother year it has worked out.

Good stuff Bill! Yeah, I have definitely learned to pick my battles a little better with age. I just wanted to start fishing, not get yelled at by some guy having a bad day.

Whatever, though. Some people just suck.

How's the fishing been on your end Bill? I haven't been getting out as much as I thought I would because of the slush factor and nothing happening on Mille Lacs. Two trips to Red has been my season thus far, not a single crappie yet. I am going back the last two weekends of February and at least one of the first two in March, though. I am determined to hit the motherload at least once this year!

-Chris

Chris, two trips to LOW. Good fishing on both trips. Brad is headed up 3rd week in Feb with a couple of buds to give the wallies and saugs a try. We have a perm on Millie, its been hit and miss especially with the ice conditions and not being able to get the house out where we wanted to go early. A few wallies and some perch, but pretty inconsistent.

I have a cabin over near Mora, chased crappies a few times, lots of fish, no size. Best two months coming up through the end of March though for the pannies.

Headed to Oahae on the Missouri also in late March, have a nephew out in Redfield SD and the walleye fishing can be really good that time of the year. Bill

We've been thinking of building a new bridge. A lighter one out of aluminum. Gonna use Foster's emptys. grin.gif