• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Who reloads?

fishwithteeth

I was at a local outdoors store today and just about fell over. I understand the cost of metals has gone through the roof, but a box of Federal 2.75" copper plated 4's and 5's at $17.99 - are you kidding me? Of course this is the same store that was $100 more than their highest competitor on an A-Bolt .243.

So tell me, who reloads? I need some info. Is it cost effective? What reloader should I be looking at? Where should I buy my components?

I shoot quite often - sporty's league, handgun, and rifle. Any help would be much appreciated.

FWT

FWT, I reload, you can buy shells probably cheaper than you could reload them right now. The big difference comes in the quality of the shell. The price of metal went up significanly for reloaders also. A bag of lead used to cost me $15 a couple of years ago, its about $10 - $15 higher right now. I'm reloading shells with real wads and more powder for more consistent shooting for about the same price as the shot in a bag cheapy shells you can buy. You probably won't save any money unless you compare the price of the higher end shells. Also, the price of reloaders has went up a little too in the last couple of years.

I can add more info if you you want to. I haven't been reloading very long, but I like the shells that I do reload. Shot reloaders and rifle reloaders are two different kinds. You will probably invest around 200-500 dollars, depending on reloader, shot, powder, primers, wads, hulls, etc... I have a mec9000, its a good reloader. But runs around $400 dollars now, so you still have to buy all the supplies. I shoot trap every week, if I wasn't doing that, it wouldn't be very cost effective.

Thanks for the info.

I have been looking at the MEC650 since I shoot more sporty's and hunt birds more than anything else. But I enjoy rifle shooting and like to test various loads and bullets - which gets expensive and sometimes I can't find the loads (bullets) that I want. So I may look for a rifle/handgun reloader after I find one for shot shells.

When you purchased yours, did you look for any used reloaders?

I have been reloading handgun and rifle for a short time also, I don't know that I'm saving any $$ at this time, but it is nice to try different loads. I also got a Lee load all shotshell loader for Christmas but haven't been out and got any supplies yet. That loader is very reasonably priced. Try shopping ebay, craigslist, and gunbroker for used stuff, another good place to look for supplies is gunshows with all the people getting out of it due to prices. (there is a nice show in Pine City on Feb 23-24, there is a raffle for a few guns and other prizes too) (shameless plug)

I was leary about used and to be honest, when I checked them out, they weren't that much less than the new ones. One thing to consider is waiting for a good promotion. You know, the one where maybe if you spend enough money you get a bunch of money back, or on a gift card, it would pay for a lot of supplies. The 650 is a good reloader, its just a lot slower than the 9000 and you will have to buy a brass resizer unless you will only shoot shells shot out of your gun, which means buying all new shells at first. For the price of the 650 and the sizemaster, you could just about buy a 9000 series.

I would have not had a problem buying a used reloader from someone I new or someone who new someone who new someone. Its hard to know what your getting on craigs list or ebay, especially if you are just getting into it. Its nice to know that you have everything from the factory, including manuals, bushings, charge bar, etc...

I reload 300Wby,30-06,270,308,243,22-250 and 223 shells, I don't know how much money I save, But I it would hurt the check book to buy a 1000 rounds of 22-250 to take on a dog hunt. It's a fun hobby, and if you buy brass and powder in bulk I think it does save quite a bit of cash. I don't buy bullets in bulk anymore because I could not find a load that would shoot them decent. It is also pretty satisfying to go to the range and shoot a 1/2 MOA group that you loaded yourself.

reloading is not cheaper to start but after 5-10 years it starts to pay its self off its more of a hobby and hobbies are not cheap but fun . if u buy 100rds of shells, bullets, primers,and powder u don't save money but u can reuse shells 5 times and if get reloading equiment then tell everyone u know to save shells u can get alot of shells and that will save some money

Thanks for the info fellas.

I think I am going to start reloading.

I do have one more question. Have you ever calculated the cost of reloading target loads? high power nickel or copper plated 2.75" pheasant loads? 3" loads? steel shot? per box as compared to what you would pay for a box at GM or FF? In a nutshell (I guess this was more than one more question!) what does it cost you to reload a box of those type of shells? Can you reload steel in a standard reloader or do you need special equipment?

FWT

Reloading target loads for the 12 and 20 gauge is not going to save you much money. Essentially you can reload yourself a better quality 12 or 20 gauge load for the same price as you can buy a cheap factory loaded one. When you start reloading for the 28 gauge and .410 you will really start to save money on a target load by reloading.

As far as hunting loads go, reloading is much cheaper for all gauges. The 2 3/4" 1400 fps shells I like for pheasant hunting are around $17 dollars a box. I can reload the exact same thing with top qaulity components for about $5 a box. I do an obscene amount of pheasant hunting in 3 states and reload for my friends and myself. I was able to recover the cost of my reloader inside of the first year.

For a guy just starting out reloading I suggest picking up a used MEC sizemaster. It doesn't kick out a ton of shells, but it is easy to learn on. I would also suggest picking up Lymans shotshell reloading manual and reading it cover to cover before starting in. I didn't have anyone to mentor me, but I was able to teach myself fairly easily with Lymans book.