• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

1/25-26 report

blueroof

Found the crappie to be fairly aggressive so far this weekend. Picked up some good numbers of nice sized fish the past two days with minnows on the jigging stick (usually tail hooked.) Deadstick was producing too, just not in the numbers as the active rod. I've been having real good luck with #10 gold diamond jig fishing 35' right at the edge of the break. Ran dry on crappie minnows, got a couple over 13" with fatheads right before my wife called me home...

Lots and lots of folks out today, saw some nice walleye (good job Croixeyes!) and heard of others.

Good luck, LB

Thanks blueroof,my buddy and I ended up catching 12legals today and several other shorts.Plus a couple of bonus smallmouth bass and a crappie or 2.Our biggest eye was a little over 20inches and all porked up for the winter.It was a great day to be on the Croix.The fish today wanted a real aggresive jigging action,would not take a minnow set.Colors varied from golds to greens,glow and firetiger patterns all produced.I would love to get out tomorrrow but I think my chore list may keep me around home....Good Luck Out There................

Croixeyes, did you get off the river around noon?! Sounds like you get stuck out there.. Hate it when that happens! Kinda surprising you got that many fish considering you were surrounded by those 50 portables grin.gif

Fly651, always willing to help out. I'm certainly no expert, just have an understanding wife and a job that has odd demands. I sent you an email.

LB

Well i haven't gotten in to the waleyes like i had hoped yet, have only caught one (really fat 16.5") and that was thursday night. I thought i had figured them out and put in 2 more nights at the loc. and nothing else to show for it. Made it out for some crappie yesterday also and took home 12 in the 11"-13" range so that was at least encouraging. Headed back out there this morning. Was using greeen forage minnows and they were slamming it. Good luck out there! Croixeyes thats an impressive catch you had out there i may be sending you some questions your way in the near future when i get frustrated enough.

man , i think that was the most people i've seen out there in the 30 years i've been fishing the croix. i'd move 100 yards away from everyone and within a half hour there would be 5 people around me. move again and same thing. i've never seen the that many shacks spread out so far on the sconi side. but the slabs did bite. 37 ft of water about 5-10 ft up. and a few saugs thrown in. nice job croixeyes on the walters ,they sure are fatsos this time of year

That was no doubt the most people ive ever seen on the Croix ice fishing.And by the reports its no wonder,some of those eyes we caught yesaterday were middle of the day fish,which I found surprizing.I checked into their stomach content and found some pretty good sized shad still so they arent afraid of large meals.Blueroof,you are on a nice crappie bite there.I hope things continue,but man those areas are getting alot of pressure.Im gonna check out a couple of spots I havent tried during Ice season,but did well in fall to see if the Sauger are still there.

Hey fellow outdoorsman and women...would someone be willing to lend me some information on where a decent place to try on the croix might be? I am thinking of heading out tomorrow after noon and have never been to the croix. maybe some info on lures, color, location, ect...send me an e-mail if you are willing to [email protected] you do not have to give me secret spots, but let it be known that I am not a going to give away any "secrets or tips" that you might be willing to share with me. Thanks in advance everyone! Good fishing!!

With the great weather forcast for today and previous days success, decided to try the river again. Had the opportunity to meet up with a couple of other FMers and drill some holes. As Gman pointed out, pretty tough to stay away from the crowds - people upon people all over the river.

Found the bite to have changed dramatically (again.) Had a hard time finding crappies that were willing to bite. The ones we did find were out deeper. Got a handful spread throughout the day, but they were few and far between. Picked up a couple sauger out deep, so not all bad. The first one I hooked into was about 17" and was up off the bottom quite a ways, thought I had the mother of all crappie for a few moments...

Had a fun day, nice to fish with good people. Wish the bite was better, but that's fishing. As a bonus, I caught one heck of a sunburn on my face...

LB

Once again could not get into the crappies, but today I finally caught my first eye on the st crox, so that was nice. Just under 15 inches in about 17 feet of water. Moved out to about 34 feet of water. Got a few small crappies, a few small white bass, 3 small walleye, and 2 sauger both about 15 inches. Didnt hammer them by any means but it was a beatiful day to fish and nice to meet up with some guys from this site. Going to try to get out early tomorow morning and see if I cant get a few eyes.

I fished the Croix for the 1st time this year. WOW! People everywhere. I did manage 7 keeper crappie, all 9 - 10 1/2". I think they were doing a bit better at the highline developement than the Hudson access area. Ran into AirJer there...sorry about getting skunked.blush.gif Will try some exploring new areas next time out.

Well I wouldn't say skunked! I would say there where a lot of white bass fish sticks coming out of the hole and one perch. The Marcum lit up for about a half an hour and believe me we put everything down the hole with no luck?? Next Time I'll have to try heading a little more north.

Good running into you Donbo even if you did ruin our day with tales of bountiful fish being caught! grin.gif

Was out with blueroof, big wade, kingfisher and uwleagle yesterday. Nice to be out and it was kind a mini FM get together. Fishing was OK, but was fun just bsin with everyone. Fun time watching kingfisher wrestle that cat up from 30 fow. What was funnier was he couldn't get it up the hole so he plunks his whole arm through the 24" of ice to grab it. Didn't work, but lucky it wasn't a pike.

yeah, that was kinda fun to catch!!! always fun to catch a 23 inch cat on the river from 30 feet using an ultralight rod and 4 pound test through the ice!!!!