• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This is what makes sportsman look bad

I was bored and looked at some youtube vids and i saw this, it was shot in Minnesota sad to say. These are the type of people that makes many other sportsman look bad, at least in my opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PAMqM8JR5w&feature=related

This is the same group of boys, looks to be releasing a dead fish after poor handling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QteGogFzzVc

I watched both and I would think that the 31" survived. The line was cut and it didn't look cold enough to freeze the gills. Sure it's always best to give it a few shakes to get water through the gills, but sometimes they slide right out of your hands. Didn't really look like they tried to revive it in the hole was the only bad thing.

I've never speared before but I would imagine that fish fall off the forks when pulled out of the water sometimes. I've caught a few pike that had some nasty cuts in them either from a grazed spear or other fish.

I guess the only problem I saw in the two videos was the speared pike that fell back down the hole. I did find it funny how they got mad at the camera guy for talking, and the guy who let the pike fall off. Reminds me of messing up when trying to land one of your buddies fish, and the choice words that follow!!!

You didnt find it wrong they were both tossing spears, thats what bothered me the most. Ok if you only have one house take turns first fish one guy will toss the spear, the next fish the other guy, come on 2 spears that just really makes me mad

lmfao that video with the tip up was funny.they were kinda scrared to grab that pike and he measured it wrong.atleast they had the common sense t ocut the line instead of jus tjerking the hook out.

I don't spear because I don't like to clean fish. If it's legal to both toss the spear, which I have no clue, then I really don't see a problem. I would relate it to two hunters shooting at the same rooster I guess. Just my opinion, no argument intended.

the chances of the other spear knocking off the fish is pretty high I imagine unless you hit it at the same time. Just take turns.

Those guys had no idea how to throw a spear. They do need to take some fish handleing classes though.

they're just clueless...if non-sportsmen see this and are dumb enough to believe that all of us top out at this level, oh well.

ps- I have nothing against the spearers cleaning up on the hammer handles like those kids are doing...my problem is when a group of spearers sit out on a lake and continually pull out big northerns. Not many big northerns left in this area and we all know that no C&R (at least C&R with a live fish being released) in the world of spearing.

Dang square-holers!

SA

This has nothing to do with the origonal subject, but now that I've spent a 1/2 hour watching u tube this is worth seeing.

It's pretty impressive to say the least. Not a whole lot of moving around for those guys. Drill a few holes and if the fish aren't biting, go home. It's gotta take close to 5 minutes to drill a hole that deep.

i watched a few of those videos and at the end of one it says, "do u eat it" and the guy said "no"

so my ? is y spear and kill a fish it you are not going to harvest it?

Just watching those fools deal with the ice, you just knew thier spearing ability couldn't be any better.

Spearing question, i saw on a post it says push the ice under after cutting the hole, and i always thought cut it into small chunks to take out then put them back in when done. Which is best? I have never speared but look forward starting next year.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

mrlean,

Check out our spearing forum here on FM. I don't spear either but you'll get some good info there especially for a new spearer.

In regards to the utube videos goes. You'll find good and bad there as there is not filtering agent for this sort of thing. If you want to get yourself worked up go ahead and keep looking. Please do not group the folks here on these forums with those with questionable outdoors ethics.

theres a great video on utube I saw last week.

do a search for "man attacked by northern"

This guy lands a nice trout, When he is releasing it, a monster comes out of nowhere and takes the trout right out of his hand. Leaves his hand bloody and everything.

haha i saw that it was pretty funny, felt bad for the guy but still he face was priceless.

You have to understand that everyone will look at things different. I myself, being that i spear all the time, and out there all the time, dont go out to try and spear my three fish everyday, I go out spearing to see all the fish in the hole, not just pike, but everything else.

Spearing is a sport that will always have people upset about it all the time, becuase of all the horrible stories from back in the day.

Believe it or not, there are alot of people still out there that love this sport, and will do anything to make sure it stays here in Minnesota. There is nothing wrong with it at all. Its the people that say all this stuff, that have never been in the house and never seen it happen.

I dont like the spearing video at all, i think its a bad rap for the sport.

LOL these guys that are taping these video don’t have a clue!!!!! They are young and need to go out with some fellow FM’ers and learn about spearing, !!! There is no need for them to be throwing two spears at a little fish like that, yes there is a time where having two spears in the house is a must, but the only reason you have a second spear is to make sure a big fish doesn’t come off the first one. For all you guys that are asking questions about spearing please check out and ask them in the Spearing Forum. We love talking spearing in there!!!! \:\)

I was never trying to put down spearing, my dad has been doing it for years and i look forward to doing it myself. The only thing i was going at was what you said you didnt like it cause it gave a bad rap for the sport and thats what i was saying. I hope people didnt think i was trying to put down spearing or anything like that, i was just upset with the way they were going by things, tossing 2 spears was the biggest. I just meant that people who arent sportsman might come across that video and say oh thats what there all like. I apologize if anyone took what i said out of context, i was never putting down spearing, just the way the boys were going at it. Sorry all

What I saw was some young boy's trying to spear for the first time. They both said that in the video. If they have a dad that does not spear or dad that is not around tohelp, yes your first time my be clueless (cutting ice and throwing a spear)......but they will never forget the time they had together spearing their first fish. It is priceless to them no matter how you see it!

Think back to some of the stuff you did with your high school friends the first time...(fishing, hunting, etc)

We can't all be pro's and do it right the first time out! You have to learn some how!

Be happy for them and hopefully they will get better with experience and introduce more friends to the great outdoors!

I suppose it would be better that these you kids were sitting at

home watching Tv or playing video games or out buying or selling

drugs, I think they look like good kids that have an interest in

something and look like kids doing it. I would suppose everyone

on here was a pro the first time out. I would say they migtht

have there own show someday on a outdoor network.

hopefully soon, we will have a spearing video shot so people can see everything and how it all works.

I understand what you are saying but still they are making these videos because they THINK they are pros!!!!

or there trying to make something for themselves to show other people.

Everyone looks at things differet, just a matter of what you believe in.,

There's a lot of stuff posted on Utube that is just plain dumb. With everyone having a cell phone with video capabilities there's lots of impulsive stuff on there.

I should also say that it's a nice resource for those of us that would like to post good stuff as well. I person has just gotta be running their personal filter on higher when you go looking therough the stuff there. ;\)