• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Morneau and Cuddyer inked to long term deals!!!

Willy

I just saw this on FOX 9 website. Not sharing any details yet but apparently it is true.

They don't sign anybody?? What about White, Batista, Boone, I'm sure there are other hacks I cant think of, well technically that is signing nobody so I agree with what you said. But from what I heard what they are saying is true for once. Now they just have to figure out what to do with Santana. I really think after all these trade rumors they will sign Santana to a 4yr 20 mil contract that would be nice.

Shooter:

The Twins have agreed to multi-year deals with first baseman Justin Morneau (for six years and about $75 million) and outfielder Michael Cuddyer (for three years and about $23 million), according to a person close to the situation.

Cuddyer's deal also will include a club option for a fourth year that could raise the overall value of the contract near $35 million.

Shooter?

Happy he has something up, but I usually take his info with a grain of salt. He is worse than Sid if that is possible.

If it is true though, that is really ponying up for Morneau. Nice to see them pay and keep their guys for once.

I do however wonder if this news mean that Johan has been or is extremely close to being traded.

It is about time the Twins do something smart with contracts.

So far I am VERY impressed by B.S. -- I hope he keeps it up and either signs JS or gets value for him.

Shooter = Charlie Walters of the Pioneer Press. He's the St. Paul version of Sid only he doesn't know everything, everyone or come over on the Mayflower.

Yes! I'm celebrating this one with some tickets to a couple games in the first series. Was waiting for just a little commitment to winning from the F.O before I made the long drive.

I truly believe Johan will be signed to a longterm deal. Why? Because otherwise they would have moved him by now. Good Job Twins!

I hope you are right, but even if that is not affordable, I feel like the Twins are trying to win. I was beginning to wonder. A few of us made the argument a year ago that you sign a couple bats instead of Johan if you have to make a choice. It's just less risky than investing all your money in one arm. I think we just gave most of Torii's money to Morneau and Cuddy. Good decision.

I saw in the paper that the Yankees were trying to sign Cano to a longer term contract. I wonder if this would be a stipulation by the Twins to do the trade. Don't want to lose Santana to a guy with a one year contract.

I'm not sure if Cano was every really in the Santana deal. I know the Yankee's are real high on him, and not much has been speculated about him involved with any deals to the Twins recently. I think most of the deal have been with Melky Cabrera and Phil Hughes right?

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
I doubt it the Twins don't ever sign anybody. whistle.gif

Morneau - 6 years, 80 million

Cuddyer - 3 years, 23 million

Believe it ;\)

It's nice to see the Twins locking up their "core" players. I hope they sign Santana but I don't think it is going to happen.

Originally Posted By: Mike412
 Originally Posted By: PierBridge
I doubt it the Twins don't ever sign anybody. whistle.gif

Morneau - 6 years, 80 million

Cuddyer - 3 years, 23 million

Believe it ;\)

Yeah I was joking...

Listening to all the whining about how the Twins don't sign their players you would think they have never signed anybody and let all of their good players go which of course is ridiculous to say the least.

As a matter of fact the only good Twins players not signed and lost that I can think of are Tori Hunter a 33 year old Outfielder signed by the Angles to a 6 year 90 million guaranteed contract the biggest contract in Team history.

And I suppose we could have had the old crystal ball working and realized David Ortiz instead of being injured all of the time and not able to play defense in Fair territory would turn out to be one of the best hitters in the game.

So I guess my point is the Twins have the Best business model in Baseball and I don't think it's even remotely close.

Go Twins!... this ain't Monopoly guy's... grin.gif

I dont think David Ortiz would have turned into the same power hitter as he did, if he would have stayed with the Twins. I dont think he would have had the same exposure to some extra "Juice" not that I am implying anything, but he sure bulked up when he got to the east coast.

Ortiz was still a 15-20 HR a year guy with a good OBP and SLG% for us though in limited playing time. He was a bopper throughout the minor leagues. It was not or at least should not have been unforseen that he could or would produce as a power hitter if he stayed healthy.

I am not saying there was a way to know he would become "big papi", but he had the potential all along, a mistake by TR, I'm not letting him off the hook 100%.

If I remember right, they let Ortiz go becasue he couldn't stay healthy on turf. I think they knew he could hit, although he's probably not worn out a fielder's glove in five years. Didn't he forget to bring one along to Kansas City when he was with the Twins and got benched? At the time, he proved nothing to the major leagues. He's had a great career for the Sox but small market teams need to put complete players on the diamond. And, how could you afford to protect him in the lineup? He's benefited big time form having that other goofball (don't get me started on another Manny rant)hitting next to him.

Originally Posted By: Cicada
He's had a great career for the Sox but small market teams need to put complete players on the diamond. And, how could you afford to protect him in the lineup? He's benefited big time form having that other goofball (don't get me started on another Manny rant)hitting next to him.

Oh, I think we could find room for him on the bench to DH. Any team that claims they couldn't keep a hitter of that ability around because he can't field is foolish. Heck, he gets on base at a .384 lifetime clip. Recently he has put up OBP's in the .400s and slugged in the .600's. I am pretty sure the Twins(or any team for that matter) would let him leave his glove wherever he wanted as long as he hit like that. He is a picture perfect DH with an OPS of over 1.000!

I do agree about his protection in the lineup in Boston. Manny is a heck of a hitter and does provide protection for him in that great hitting lineup they have.

Thats it 4 yr 80 thats on top of the 1 year on his contract for 13mill and some change, so we would have him locked for 5 years 93 mill!

Somebody was talkin about Cano --

No way are they going to give him up. They don't have to either. They know he is theirs if they want to spend the money on them.

Money is messing up our dealing the BEST pitcher in MLB.

That is really upsetting.

Hard to believe we can't get more -- I would think Hughes(don't trust him), Melky (don't like him) and Cano is a pretty fair deal.