• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Half Ton Truck Mileage Survey

Blaze

Question

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my truck to a newer one and wanted to get feedback from those of you who are running them right now regarding mileage since I put on 20K/yr. I'm looking for a 4x4 half ton crew cab and would like to hear REAL city/hwy numbers for these trucks:

* 2004 or newer GMC/Chev 1500 4x4 with 5.3l

* 2004 or newer Ford F150 4x4 with 5.4l

* 2004 or newer Dodge 1500 4x4 with 5.7l Hemi

Please share any other details that would affect mileage - mods, if you're a lead foot driver or granny style, axle gearing, etc. Also interested in hearing any major issues with any of your trucks. Thanks for your input!

Blaze

I own a 2001 Ford F150 super cab with 5.4L V8.

Typical highway mileage has been 17.5mpg but recently I used Seafoam to clean the injectors (I usually use a cleaner 2x annually) and my highway mileage climbed to 19mpg even while carrying my ATV in the box.

My average mileage driving 20 miles back and forth to work and about town is typically around 15-16mpg.

It drops down to about 14-15 pulling my boat. 16' Sylvan Adventurer with 90hp 2-stroke.

Hope this helps.

Bob

I have a 2006 Silverado 5.3L crew cab and I get 15.5 driving in town and 18+ on longer trips. I do not run any E85 and would recomend to anyone at the current price to do the same. Running E85 milage drops to 12 in town. E85 is not the way to go.

I have a 2005 F150 Lariat w/about 90,000 miles. I get anywhere from 15-20 mpg highway depending on speed and gas. If I go 55-60 I can even get a hair over 20mpg, but that is rare. Towing a 2 place snowmobile trailer or boat is around 12mpg. I did have my tranny go out around 75,000 miles, but that was related to the conditions I have towed in. I do a lot of towing to Montana, and I tried to do it with CC on. I think it just wore it out. It was expensive, but I don't blame Ford. I am on original tires, brakes lasted 80,000.

My dad has a 2005 Chevy LS. His mileage is a touch less than mine by maybe 1mpg in the same conditions.

All the 1/2 tons are going to be in that same 15-20 range. You can only get so efficient with a 5,000# brick shaped object.

If I got another brand new truck today (2007 or older), it would be the Ford first, except, Chevy has the 100,000 mile warranty, so I would go with that one if I did it again. I do a ton of driving, so warranty is important. Hands down the Ford is better in every aspect, especially interior comfort/quality and motor. The 5.3 in the Chevy is a complete dog unless it downshifts and runs at 4,500RPMs. The interior is the same as an early 90s Chevy, and it was dated and crappy looking then. I would not get a Dodge. Too many horror stories.

Hands down the Ford is NOT better in every aspect, especially interior comfort/quality and motor.

Originally Posted By: Lip_Ripper Guy
I have a 2005 F150 Lariat w/about 90,000 miles. I get anywhere from 15-20 mpg highway depending on speed and gas. If I go 55-60 I can even get a hair over 20mpg, but that is rare. Towing a 2 place snowmobile trailer or boat is around 12mpg. I did have my tranny go out around 75,000 miles, but that was related to the conditions I have towed in. I do a lot of towing to Montana, and I tried to do it with CC on. I think it just wore it out. It was expensive, but I don't blame Ford. I am on original tires, brakes lasted 80,000.

My dad has a 2005 Chevy LS. His mileage is a touch less than mine by maybe 1mpg in the same conditions.

All the 1/2 tons are going to be in that same 15-20 range. You can only get so efficient with a 5,000# brick shaped object.

If I got another brand new truck today (2007 or older), it would be the Ford first, except, Chevy has the 100,000 mile warranty, so I would go with that one if I did it again. I do a ton of driving, so warranty is important. Hands down the Ford is better in every aspect, especially interior comfort/quality and motor. The 5.3 in the Chevy is a complete dog unless it downshifts and runs at 4,500RPMs. The interior is the same as an early 90s Chevy, and it was dated and crappy looking then. I would not get a Dodge. Too many horror stories.

Sorry but I have to take issue with some of your points. I am not married to any specific brand, I have owned all of the 3 main brands at one time or another.

1st of all I don't think any one brand is heads and shoulders above the other. They all have good and bad points. I especially wouldn't say mine is the best if my tranny went out at 75,000 miles no matter what I was pulling. You might have had a chevy or Dodge under the same conditions last 150,000 miles or you might have had a different ford that lasted 200,000 miles. Each truck is going to be unique.

interior comfort is going to be in the eye(or butt) of the beholder. I personaly do not think that the ford F-150 or the super-dutys are very comfy. I think the chevy is the most comfortable and I think it is a tie for second between the ford and the Dodge.

The chevy interior is not even close to the same as the early 90's. There was a major interior change in '95 I think and it has changed some since then also.

What exactly are your horror stories about Dodge? The tranny problems that they had 15 years ago? This is a completely different truck since then. A lot has changed.

I have a Dodge with the Hemi that I bought new in '04 and I have yet to have a problem. I'm not bragging, that's just the way it should be no matter what brand you put that kind of money down for!

As far as my milage goes, I get between 14 and 17 everyday type driving. Depends obviously on how much of it is highway.You will get a little worse milage with the Hemi but you are only talking 1 maybe 2 MPG worse than any other big V-8.

Wow, anyone want to trade! I have an 06 F150 with the 5.4 and I get an honest 12mpg and I drive like an old ....... Drink as much coffee as you want, you will have to stop at the gas station anyway.

Keep this one on track please. He asked for mileage numbers.

Please do not inject personal opinions about brands. It always ends up the same argument otherwise. No one is ever gonna settle the "which is the best" because there isn't one. Each has their own strengths.

Sorry I didn't mean to get this one off on a brand bashing tangent.

I just checked my mileage log that I've kept since I got my truck in April 2005. I have a best of 20.2mpg, and a worst of 7.8 which was pulling a 2 place snowmobile trailer in 4x4 into a 40-50mph headwind. My average over 2 1/2 years has been 16.4 mpg.

I should have added that interior comfort is completely personal preference. I test drove all 3 brands of trucks, and the SUVs from Chevy and Ford before I purchased. I chose the F150 based upon interior comfort/quality, quietness of the interior, and the low end torque for pulling. I spend at least 2-3 hours every day in my truck, so I wanted to be comfortable.

Again, this is all my opinion, everyone is free to have their own.

2006 F-150 Supercrew. 3.73 gears. 5 miles one way to work, average driving other wise. 13-14 mpg. From Grand Rapids to Duluth (Menards) and straight back, cruise control 60 mph, 15.4 mpg. 10 mpg pulling 30 ft travel trailer.

I have a 2002 Dodge quadcab, 5.9. If you don't turn it off when re-fueling, you will never fill it up. It's one thirsty S.O.B. I love the truck, but the gas mileage sux. Hwy 11-14. I'm not a gear head, but I think it has a 3.93 gears???? Does that sound right?

I have a 2003 chev 1500 with the computer mileage and it's at 16.4 mpg lifetime mpg with 48,000 miles on the truck. During the summer I drive an hour to the camper(highway miles) and I get up to 21 mpg in that hour of driving. The real time mpg reading are interesting to watch and see the difference between 65 miles per hour and 70 mph.

2004 Silverado 4x4, extended cab Z71

I only measure mileage on longer trips where I can drive a set distance at relatively constant speed. Since I have had this truck, the mileage for these longer trips has consistantly been 18 - 19 MPG. I have no idea what the mileage is around town, other than that it is noticeably lower. I would guess around 15 mpg.

2004 Silverado 4x4 EC Z71

5.3 w/3.73 rear

18-19 consistently on the trips up north, 15 when towing.

16-17 around town (I have a 25 mile drive each way to work primarily highway)

Originally Posted By: Chauncey
I have a 2006 Silverado 5.3L crew cab and I get 15.5 driving in town and 18+ on longer trips.

Same truck, similar mileage. Oddly, when loaded (w/ 1 ton or so) it would get 20+mpg at 65mph. Towing a Reata, get 13 at best, have gotten as low as 10.5 into a headwind. LB

I drive a Nissan Titan and get 14-16 highway and 12-14 in town. 10-11 when pulling the snowmobile trailer. I would be careful about trusting the mileage reported on trucks computer. My wife drives a Dodge Durango with the hemi and she gets 17 highway, but the computer usually says around 19. Upon checking everytime I fill up her vehicle, the computer consistently reads about 2 mpg higher than it really is. Dave

2004 F150 Lariat Supercrew ~

Highway driving - 16-17 mpg (empty), and 11-13 when pulling the 19 ft I/O. Every once in a great while, I can maybe get 18 (if there's someone in front of me slowing me down grin.gif). I don't measure city driving, as it always seems to be in the 14-15 mpg range. In the winter, mileage is horrible no matter what.

FWIW, I love the truck, but wish the 5.5 ft box was a little longer -- can't close the tailgate with the 4-wheeler in the back.

2006 F150 FX4 SuperCrew w/ 5.4L

1st 20,000 miles highway 15, city 12-13, 10-11 towing.

After I hit 20,000 now get 17-18 highway, 15 city, 12-13 towing.

I keep a pretty close track of the milage and it was as soon as it hit 20,000 miles, was kind of a pleasant surprise. I have also found that there is one gas station that I fill up at once in a while and I consistanly get 2 mpg worse on thier gas.

2001 F150 XLT Supercab

Summer highway driving w/cruise control at 70mph = 17.5 mpg

Summer highway w/o cruise control at 70mph = 16 to 16.5mpg

Winter driving average 13 to 13.5mpg

Winter driving during this weeks cold temps = 12 mpg OUCH!

echo - 12mpg? You're in my range with #s like that! I have a 2500HD Crew that gets 12-12.5 consistently. I check it every tank with the odometer and gallons filled. Gets expensive when I'm putting on 20K+/yr, though I have hit a rare 16mpg on the hiway if I drive nice. Typical hiway mileage usually runs 14-14.5mpg.

Anyone have numbers for their Tundras? They're nice trucks with a great reputation. I'll admit, it would be hard to give up my Chevy preferences, though. cool.gif

Good info so far guys, keep it coming and thanks for keeping it civil!

Originally Posted By: jltimm
Good luck with the REAL mileages!

HA! Very true. I love reading these threads. My only advice would be don't buy based on the fact that someone on the internet told you they get 20 mpg with a full size 4x4 gas truck.

I have an '05 tundra double cab, when I bought it I did a lot research to find who had the best mileage and that is what I came up with (they're all pretty close anyway). I average about 16, a guy could probably get 18 on the highway with the cruise at 55 (which I don't do). Towing about 13. One trip I had 4 snowmobiles, 4 guys and all our gear with the cruise on 85, 9 mpg, ouch.

O6 Tundra Double cab best mileage was between walker and barnum last summer cruise set to 55 and just barely squeezed out 19 mpg. Otherwise the norm is 16 to 17 on the freeway (70mph)and about 13 in town or towing the boat at 70 mph. A little better than 13 if I drop down to 60 mph with the boat.

smartthinkingef8.jpgdscn18800lh.jpg

Everytime it read one of these post I get kinda confused! There are so many things that effect milage! I have a 00 1/2 ton chev and I get 13.5 average whith 285 tires. I bought the truck from my father who boutght it new. He got between 16-17 if he tried with 265 tires. I got 14.5 with 265s. All my #s are daily driving no long trips. Now my dad has a 02 1/2 ton with 245 tires on it and it gets 17 but gets 13 with a trailer. Put a 2 place Floe behind mine with 285 tires an it gets 11 no matter whats on the trailer. Bottom line you wont get the same milage as anybody else just too many variables. Btw those 5.3 chev moters are kinda a joke they are way to high strung with no bottom end touque, its more of a car moter. Id go back to the 97 1/2 ton with a vortec 350 that I had before this one anyday, that was a all around much better truck! That thing would out pull a 5.3 anyday!

That's right, you can do a lot to change the mileage of your vehicle. Anything and everything to changing tires types and sizes, aerodynamics from bumper to fenders, the whole air intake to ignition/combustion and exhaust process, swapped CPU chips, and even coasting your truck in neutral down hill.

Flames and racing stripes only makes a parked vehicle looks fast and mean, but still cool. LOL's

I love it. A 1500 is a truck? I thought those things were just parts cars for real trucks (2500-3500 diesel's) grin.gif My 2007.5 GMC Sierra 2500HD w/Duramax-Allison gets 14-16mpg in town and slightly north of 20mpg on the highway if kept under 70mph. Put the Lund Fisherman on the back and it still gets 18-20 mpg on the highway.

If I were in the market for a 1/2 ton I would buy something used for a few years until GM puts out the 1/2 ton with a smaller Duramax Diesel in it (2010, 4.5L Duramax)

Originally Posted By: kjgmh
2006 F150 FX4 SuperCrew w/ 5.4L

1st 20,000 miles highway 15, city 12-13, 10-11 towing.

After I hit 20,000 now get 17-18 highway, 15 city, 12-13 towing.

I keep a pretty close track of the milage and it was as soon as it hit 20,000 miles, was kind of a pleasant surprise.

Same truck, same year, same mileage, same experience. I keep track of every drop of gas that goes in.