• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Going to burntside not part of the bash?

I will be going with a friend to try and get some lakers and I have a few questions:

First what is the bite like up there and can a newbie to the lake get steady fish if they have good information.

Secondly what is the quality of the fish on average 1 pound or 10 pounds.

Third where is the best place to access the lake from.

Fourth is there any type of spot that is better than another and what type of water should I be looking for.

Finally if anyone is so kind and would like to reply with GPS coordinates to cut our looking time down, that would be great.

IGO, most folks won't part with GPS coordinates, but let me break down the rest for you.

All these questions are answered in a few threads here, such as inland laker tactics, the Bside Bash thread and one or two others, but they are all scattered out and hard for you to get through at this point and pick out the bits of good info.

The bite varies from day to day. Some days the fish have a bit of lockjaw, other days it's hot. My best day on Bside was five fish through the ice from 2 to 12 pounds.

Most fish run from 2-7 pounds, with an occasional fish into the teens and more rarely one over 20. There are 30s in Bside, but they don't seem to get caught.

The best winter lake access is at Van Vac public landing. You can find directions to that by looking in on the burntside bash final details thread.

I recommend getting the Sportsman's Connection book of maps for St. Louis County. Burntside takes up several pages in that book, and the map has enough detail so you can find good laker locations. And good laker locations on Bside are those that involve main-lake points the drop into deeper water, with most fishing taking placie in 40 to 60 FOW. If you can find deep humps (few of them are visible on the maps) and deep water that cuts in close to shore, those also are excellent areas.

Some commonly fished areas include (you'll need a map) the east shore of Dollar Island, the deep water around Blueberry Island and the deep trough of water that comes out of the Dead River. If you choose those locations and stick somewhere around 50 FOW, your odds of finding fish are good.

Also, if you have a bit of time, check out the inland laker tacticts thread right on this same board after you've gotten directions to Van Vac from the Bside bash final details thread. There's a lot of useful info in the tactics thread, and much of it has to do with Burntside.

Good luck!

Boy nothing like giving out my honey holes Steve. ;\)

Seriously though like Steve says do some reading back and you will find all the info a person could need.

If you see as at the headquarters Sat stop by and have a bite to eat and help out Deb.

Good Grief!!!!

[Note from admin. Edited. Please see forum rules before posting again. Thanks Justin!]

Justin

Hey Steve, no honey holes there. Most weekends you can find folks fishing on those spots. Quite well known. grin.gifgrin.gif

Ya I know just given ya some pre bash ribbin. Thus the wink.

I have fished some of those spots. I think I even have a spot marked on a few of them on the H2oc.

And after all of this stop at van vac headquarters is there. they will be more than willing to show you on the big map.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The invite to the Bash is for everyone.