• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I'm pretty new to lake ice fishing (grew up on the Mississippi) and a long time lurker here. I want to thank everyone for posting all their info. I've learned alot.

I'm trying to get my wife into ice fishing and now that its supposed to get warmer, I want to take her out on Sunday. She is from the South and is excited to try it. We have only been able to get out a few times in the past few years and never really caught much.

As we are newer to the area, are there any lakes where I can take her to catch some pannies, perch and set up a few tip ups? Even if we catch dinks all day, she can learn the techniques and maybe get hooked!!

Thanks for any info and if you want to keep it off the forum my email is [email protected].

reddsixx,

I would run her up to West Rush.

Just look for the crowds for a place to start. If you have a flasher, punch some holes in the 30-40 foot holes, and look for suspended fish, anyhwere to 10 feet off the bottom, now your in Crappie city!

Luck to ya!

Keith

P.S. you can get lake maps for Rush at the DNR website for download, and print. Make sure it is the Rush Lake in Chisago county cuz there is a scad of them LOL.

I found that the best action for beginners is the chisago Lakes area.West Rush is best for size, but you cant beat the action on Chisago,North or South Center or Green Lakes.It is supposed to warm up this weekend so there will be a lot of people out.Most of the lakes in the area including East and West Rush have special regulations so make sure you check on DNR site befor you go. Good Luck

I would run her up to West Rush.

Just look for the crowds for a place to start. If you have a flasher, punch some holes in the 30-40 foot holes, and look for suspended fish, anyhwere to 10 feet off the bottom, now your in Crappie city! No wonder this lake is a blanking zoo all the time.................................................................................................................................................................................

Ya know, it's a lake within an hours drive of the cities. It's right off the interstate. And it AIN'T no secret.

So, that said, if it POs you, that people try to give others a shot at a fish or three, maybe you could consider digging a pond in your back yard, and you can keep it all to yourself.

sssshhhheeeeeeessssssshhhhh.

Keith

No wonder this lake is a blanking zoo all the time.................................................................................................................................................................................

Simmer, not a secret lake. I don't see a problem telling someone to try a lake and just follow the houses.

what's the point, the lake name? It's pertty sad when you can't help newbies out without being raked across the coals. I am a newbie for ice fishing so I guess I wont expect any help or information from a website that promotes helping each other out? .................................................................................................................................................................................................

I would say that that info is exactly the kind of thing we're trying to promote here. He isn't giving gps coordinates, or any other secret locations. I'm sure this post will not affect anyones fishing other than for the good. Good luck redsixx.

Exactly no GPS coordinates, or exact locations...would I be in the wrong to say, Try LOTW just stick around the houses? would that bother you too?

No kidding? Give a guy a little help and some people get all worked up about it. It's not like cigar island N 12 degrees 124' W 94 degrees 669' is a secret

rumeye,

whats the problem? That was a decent post trying to help a newbe out, and the other guy was right it aint no secret. Its a huge lake with tons of fish. I personally think mabey you were a little harsh. I used to live in cambridge like yourself, and it is only 15 minutes away and a great fishery, but come on, a secret it is not. look at the landing some days, people park on the road to get at that lake. mabey barbelboy took it a little to far, but helping a newbe out isn't a crime. Relax, there are plenty of fish to go around.

Personally I'd head to Big Green, just south of Chisago.

Leave the landing and take an immediate left.

You'll see houses set up in 8-12' of water, all the pan fish you want, even pulled an 8 lb walleye from there.

Just remember though, on this lake all crappies have to be 9"+, all walleyes have to be 17"+.

Thanks for all the input. We ended up going to Green in Chisago. We were there from 2-6PM in the SW area in about 5-6 FOW. Caught alot of little sunnies, about 5 keepers and a few crappies, 2 just under the 9" slot and one almost 10". All CPR. Hope that wasn't too much info. ;\)

My wife had a great time learning how to use the spring tip bobber, setting the hook and baiting. Still iffy on getting the fish of the hook, though. It was a nice day out, didn't have to fire up the heater until sunset. The only negative was hand drilling the holes with 20+" of ice. Oh well, Santa got me an FL-8 this Christmas, maybe he will get me a power auger next year!

Yeah, I take kids out on Chisago to catch sunnies, seems like the sunnies always bite there. So it keeps the kids happy and promotes the sport.