• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Hammer Handle

Saw a MONSTER this last weekend

Hammer Handle

Was in a friends fish house spearing, when a huge northern comes in. I assume it was 15+ pounds. And, that is on the light side....

Now, I have speared for many years and do take some nice fish (typically under 10 pounds which is my personal cap)...but I didn't have the heart to take one this big. So, we just watched it. It missed my live sucker several times (I jerked it out of the way) and then left.

15 minutes later...WHAM!...it was on my line (no hook). It took a lot of line out and I slowly began pulling it back. Well, it hung on so strong I pulled it right into my spearing hole. I reached down and grabbed it and lifted it into the house.

But, at the last second it went crazy and I dropped it back into the hole. Fish was gone!

Man, I wish I would have gotten a picture. To catch (or nearly catch) a large northern with no hook or spear would have been cool!

I have caught smaller northerns this way, but not such a big one. Has anyone else?? It is fun to catch ones too small to spear if they "latch on" like this. Tough, but can be done.

shamalex72

Cool story. I have never had that happen.

Dabignorski

just this last weekend me and browning gold were out and we were both not exactly paying full attention to the hole and right as i looked back down i seen an atleast 10 plus pounder come in about mach 10 and latch onto our live sucker we both kinda sat in shock and figured it was gone but the string was getting tugged pretty good i started to lightly pull the northern back in it stayed latched on to it and i got it up to the top of the ice and got only about 10 inches of the tail in the hole and the line broke or was cut it was pretty cool to see that happen though!!

Bowfin

I spear a lake with a 24"-36" inch slot limit and have to be conservative so as not to spear a fish over 24 inces. Twice I had "slot" fish latch onto my live decoy and I pulled them up - grabbed the fish and pried the minnow out of their mouth. One fish measured in at 23.5 inches so I kept it. Guess I can say I caught it with my hands no hook or spear - is that legal?

LABS4ME

And spearing continues to get a bad rap as the reason all the big trophy pike are gone from lakes... \:\)

Proof positive that spearers ARE THEEE selective harvesters of fisherman!!! Great job guys and great stories to boot!

Good Luck!

Ken

openorice

I couldn't agree more, nice job guys! I would be real interested in hearing how many big fish were taken this year by poeple on this forum. If you have speared a 10 lb + please respond.

bassNspear

lab, you bring up a great point. Its not about going out and getting the biggest one all the time. Its about going out and seeing fish over and over again, and maybe spearing a few here and there. But being able to get out and watch the fish in the lake is what hooked me way back.

Awesome story guys. Glad to see you have fun.

Stiff

Agreed! Nice Job Guys. I love hearing about guys who let the big ones go. If the scenario allowed - how cool would it be to get some pics of those big fish in the Hole?

I don't get a chance to see many big fish - mainly because of the waters that I fish. The top end for me has been 29 1/2" this year.

Hammer Handle

I tried to take a picture of the fish in the hole with my phone/camera, but didn't get a chance.

I get more excited seeing that big fish trying to maul my minnow than I do seeing a 12 point buck walking to my deer stand.

slim1

I have had the little ones latch on before but not a big one. Cool to see I bet. I think you learn so much more from spearing kind of like bow hunting is.

glenn57

cool stories. did the fish have any extra lures hanging from his lips. we call them ol jingle lips. you know so many lures hanging from there mouth that they jingle as they swim thru the water.