• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I've watched a lot of sunnies suck in the bait and then spit it out. So I thought i just need to set the hook faster, but most of the time that doesn't work either. Anyone have any advice on this? Also do you use a split shot above your light jigs or not?

This is a tough one to answer. Some guys will keep telling you to go smaller, no split shot, etc. Granted 80% of the time that will work but there have been times where I've done the opposite and gone bigger and it has worked wonders. It all depends on what lake your on, what the fish are feeding on, you know all that stuff. At least you found the fish! Just keep plugging away man!

I've noticed spikes (euro larvae) have helped in this situation this year. Not neccessarily cuz of size (they seem to be liking alot of them on the hook) maybe they taste differant. Just something to try if you haven't yet.

Sometimes, when I could get them to swim UP to the bait - it helped to get them strike a little more aggressively. But when they are neutral or negative, it can be tough.

Like the old stripper once said "Shake it until they can't TAKE it."

Definitely no split shot. Downsizing usually works well for me and if the that doesn't get them going try some Dr. Juice panfish attractant it really does work. I know it doesn't smell like vanilla or cherries but the fish like it.

I agree with the spikes. I accidentally got wax worms and they would suck them off the hook but I could still feel them hit. I try to keep rising up even if only a quarter inch per couple seconds(very slow)just to keep the tip sensitive and some fine concentration and you should feel em. I would definately get spikes cause they will suck them in with the hook rather then sucking the weak skinned waxie right off. Did this and worked immediately!!

I'd say just keep getting them to follow your bait up. More often than not if i can entice them up from where they were they get more aggressive and take the bait. Globs of spikes and waxies have been working for me.

i have the oppisite problem, i always seem to get on top of school of stunted sunnies, very small jig wax worm, and a split shot 7inches above the jig and i cant keep them off my line, the kids love i dont because im the one always digging the jigs out of them because the always swallow them

Play around with keeping your plastics and/or wax worms, spikes or eurolarvae in a mixture of cherry Kool-Aid or Jell-O or vanilla extract, a touch of water and the saw dust the live bait came in. If its plastics you're playing around with, exclude the saw dust.

This is great advice and gives a lot of different things to try. What do you guys do if your jigging and one comes in. Do you keep jigging or dead stick it? Also when you put on multiple waxies or spikes any special way to hook them?

To

Dito, on the cherry ;)I have a bottle of cherry worm oil and although it is not my favorite for bass , the gills love it!

Thats a great tip TO i may have to try that with some plastics. im assuming that it would leave them with a little red/pink tint?

If I can see one come in I usually keep doing what I was doing to bring them in it has obviously gotten their attention for one reason or another. Im not sure I have ever used multiple waxies but when im using spikes I usually try to thread one on and get some juice out of it and leave one dangling off the end to give the jig an almost swimming/wiggling/flicking motion.

I usually keep jigging and lift the presentation at the same time. If the fish does not repsond to that type of approach, I'll just wait 'em out. As for hooking multiple waxies, etc, I just make sure I thread each one on close to the "head" and then all bets are off from there. I also like to pinch off a portion of each waxie, etc to get more scent out in the water and have more "feelers" out dangling from the hook.

I saw you put on a live demonstration with it a few years back at a Get-Together and that's what got my wheels spinning.

It seems to either make a noticable differance, to the good and at times to the bad I only have about a 1/8 inch left in a one oz. bottle but my portable smells real good !!!

Ever try anice oil ? The nice thing about it is that it turns somewhat solid below about 50 deg. I just warm the bottle in my hands to get a little liquid for dipping. I noticed it work very well one time with multiple people fishing in a shack. They would go to the bait that smelled different I think.

Oh the women are going to start to wonder when we all start raiding the kitchen for the Jello and koolaid.

Never tried it but I have played around with putting chunks of anice soap in my tackle boxes.

I've tried strawberry, lime, lemon and watermelon but cherry seems to work the best. Also, if you're looking for a little more "tack" onto the bait or plastics, use a drop of Karo syrup in with your mixture.

I go to a different approach from what others have mentioned when it comes to light biting bluegills. When the bluegills are biting light, I go to a drop technique. The less aggressive the bite, the slower the drop. I will raise the jig 1 to 2 feet from the target range that I am fishing and drop the jig into the fish. The only way to detect the light biters is by watch the line. When the line goes slack, set the hook.

Works well on crappies as well.