• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have been fishing the same spot for years now and always had good luck (in 7 fow). But this year the lake I'm fishing is down and the fishing has been terrible. It is only about 5.5 to 6 fow. I have caught trophy walleyes, northers, and bass in the past but nothing this year. Could the lake being down a foot to a foot in a half cause this much pain or change??? Or am I just not as lucky as I have been in the past??? I know I can move to deeper water but I'm wondering if maybe someone has any input on my situation. Will bigger fish hang out in that shallow of water this time of year??? or am I wasting my time???

You bet it causes havoc on the normal areas people catch fish. The water being down is causing them to find new areas. We need a wet spring in a bad way.

I noticed the same thing on a "shallow" favorite spot of mine.

I did notice that the weeds that were usually there turned brown and into mush this year. Maybe the early snowfall had more of an effect on the light getting to the weeds? Shallow fishing can be alot of fun so I'll keep looking for a new spot!

With the water levels being lower it allows for weed growth to grow out deeper and thicker with the more space allowed for growth. Then when the weeds start dying in the winter, it deplets more oxygen than last year. Being shallower it may have had an earlier effect on the oxygen on your spot and causing the fish to move deeper/somewehre else.