• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I M thinkn Owasso tonight

South_Metro_Slayer

Originally Posted By: anyfishaldo
Most disapointing was I got started later than planned (2 year old gets up on Sat. but you can't get him up on Monday)

Isn't that the truth grin.gif

We went out on Friday night and had a good time the crappies where biting. I think we had around 20 in the shack all under 6 inches. Does this lake have any crappies bigger than that? I have fished it a dozen times this year and never gotton one larger than about 7 inches. They where hungry Friday night, they hit a 3 inch fat head and the fish was may be 5 inches. Glow demoms and moon glow jigs worked. They liked all colors too. Good luck out there heading to Red this weekend hope they are biting.

i know a couple of guys that were up on Red the last month. if the fishing is anything for you what it was like for them, you will be catching walleyes, a northern or two and maybe a couple of crappies. they said the crappies were tough to come by. best of luck up there.

The lake is full of stunted see through crappies. Yes you can catch bigger fish but you have to go away from the zoo out from the beach! Good Luck, ole

I was out last Friday and Saturday evenings, caught small crappies but that was it. Will try again later this week, hopefully this time I can find some 'eyes.

havent been fishin owasso myself waitin till late ice now, ive been concentrating on heading out of the city to fish lately the city is to hit or miss for me it seems like late ice and early ice r the best on the city lakes i think

• 2 weeks later...

I was out today in 30' of water. We caught a bunch (20-30, I'm not much for counting after 10 fish) of crappies with the biggest being 10". All fish released. No walleyes but it was entertaining with the crappie bite. Fun night on the lake. Looking to get out again in the next few days.

I fished Owasso for the second time in my life last afternoon/night. I understand that it is known as a crappie lake.

Well, my wife and I caught just about everything but crappies. In total, we iced about a dozen perch, a handful of which were really nice and fat. Has anybody else caught perch in this lake? She also caught five sunnies and I caught a plump 15-inch walleye. It was a great time, but I'm wondering where to go for crappies. We fished the north end of the lake, fairly close to the access. I couldn't believe how dark the water was also.

If anybody can point me in the direction of the crappies, it would be much appreciated. Just moved to Roseville in July and so far we love it. Thanks.

THEY ARE USUALLY OVER DEEP AREAS BUT THEY ARE ALL SMALL AND YOU COULD FISH ALL WINTER AND NEVER GET CLOSE TO A 10" FISH.

LOOK FOR DEEP WATER AREAS AND MOVE AROUND UNTIL YOU FIND THEM. USUALLY I CAN GET THE KIDS INTO THEM OFF THE LANDING TOWARDS EVENINGS LATE IN FEBRUARY OR EARLY MARCH.

Was out last night in aroinf 27 feet, caught about 20+ crappies but all where 8 inches or less and most fish had a hard time reaching 6. All on crappie minnows and again not a single eye, do the eyes stay away from the crappies on this lake? I thiught we would find a couple mixed in fishing the bottom. They like gold and white and green and white. The glow vs not was about 50/50

Just walk straight out from the access about halfway into the northern bay & start punching holes. I've only been out there in late Feb & March. Anytime after 2-3PM in 20' of water or more, there have been hordes of little crappies. Punch a few holes & if you have a Vex it will eventually light up like Times Square with bitty crappies. I tried it once in the morning & didn't catch squat - not enough to prove anything, but time of day might be important out there is well.

Maximum12,

Have you ever fished the northwest side of the lake? It looks like there are more houses on that side. If so, how does that compare to the deep water near the access?

Just looking at a map - the northwest side looks pretty deep too. In fact, the area close to the ramp and the northwest side look like the only deep spots on the lake.

Maybe I haven't gotten on a good crappie bite in a while, but I'm pumped - even if they are small. I'm going out this weekend and I'll let everyone know how I did. I'm also secretly hoping for another walleye. Let's just say I was pretty pumped to be catching a walter only 3 miles from the house.

FLW, I have fished the northwest side of the lake in summer for bass, but never for crappies or on the ice, so can't help you there. But since it's also pretty deep & on the other side of the flats in the middle of the lake, I presume it would hold crappies as well.

From what I've heard, the crappies turn on about this time of year & go well into March. I've been out there the last three months o' March in a row & as long as I was there in late afternoon, had no problem finding crappies - it's where I take the kids to catch fish. Once you find them you'll know, often the bottom 3-8' of the Vex are solid fish. And they're not shy.

After real fish season closes, I'll be making the annual pilgrimage up to Owasso. It is fun - for an hour or two - just to be able to pull fish out non-stop with the little ones. Hopefully they'll have already started their feeding binge for you this weekend.

Was out again last night and had a good time, about 20-30 fish between the three of us and lots of fun, may be a little bit of ice hole too. The fish are all about 5 inches again with two at 8 inches. So not what I would call keepers, but fun to pull out of the ice. Please be carefull and do not speed real them up the hole, we where fishing around 30 feet and had to keep a couple of the little guys because their air blatters inflate from the pressure change. Good luck out there!

I had that happen out there once. Those are some funky craps, almost could see through em. Had a 40" muskie grab a crappie on the way up and just slowly sunk with it. Spit it out and when i brought the crappie up it looked like it went through a meat grinder. Real cool seein that musky about 2 feet below my hole

Hi guys,

Just wanted to give my report from Sunday. Got on the ice at around 3:30 p.m. after the Gophers b-ball victory over Penn State. We set up in 25 feet of water near the access. The weather was beautiful and we were marking fish, but they weren't exactly aggressive.

In total, I caught four crappies on a buckshot with a crappie minnow. Two were nearly 8 inches and two were dinks. The wife got skunked and wasn't happy.

We marked fish pretty consistently until about 6 p.m. After that, it became a dead sea. The fish would come in waves. You'd see the flasher light up with activity for 10 minutes and then it would go quiet for 5 minutes and so on.

I wonder why these crappies wouldn't commit? There were definitely crappies, they were suspending about 6 feet off the bottom in 19 feet of water. Any suggestions as to how to make these crappies bite better?

Do they always turn off at 6:30 or so? When we took down the portable we noticed we were the last ones on the lake. Maybe everybody else knows the bite dies at 6. I appreciate any feedback.

its not really a time per say but relates to when the sun sets. i have seen the bite die off an hour after the sun sets on nearly every trip. maybe they turn back on late, but i havent dont know. since i have gotten older and my bed time has gotten earlier i usually dont stay out there too often. i am thinking that i will be out there this weekend just to test out a few ideas that i had.

time to start thinking about mille lacs and some big perch from now until i cant walk out there anymore. its the best time to be out there. the crowds have all left and there are the occasional walleyes that bite on small fatheads to keep it interesting. and yes, i know the season is closed but a guy cant stop them from biting.

I was out again on Sunday night and plan on heading out everynight untill the house has to come off. Theh bite was later than normall starting around 7:30 pm and we left at around 9 and they where still biting like mad, I had a hard time keeping two lines down. There was a lot of negative bites, I would say over half and if you where not watching closly you would miss a lot of them. On the spring bobber it might move a 1/8 to 1/4 inch and you had to set the hook or you missed it. Lots of fish but nothing over 6 inches again. Good luck out there.