• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hillman's road update

kelly-p

Another section of big road has been added. At 5.1 miles out on the main road this one angles off to the NW. It goes across to the north shore into 12 feet of water just west of Rocky Point. Now there are 2 roads angling NW. One at 5.1 miles and one at 6 miles. This should give us real good coverage of the northern part of the lake.

Sure wish we had you guys plowing our roads down here, something would get done rather than waiting for spring to come. If somebody complains about road access fees, do you think they'd be willing to get their own plow truck and start cutting roads on that sheet. I bet some of them pay to have there own driveways plowed. I just hope everyone knows how valueble you guys are to us. THANKYOU for everything you do !!!!!!!!!!

An apology to those folks who were awaken at 3 AM by a couple of idiots trying to push through the unplowed snow. Not the smartest thing we've ever done. \:D

The job the Hillman road people do is the reason I drive 230 miles to fish URL instead of 45 to Mille Lacs. You always feel like you have options. Mille Lacs it like here is the usual place go fish. Was fun watching them plow it open yesterday. Didn't dare try get a picture like Jonny P did. My pickup ain't much but its all I got.

Drove into Hudecs and no activity.

Hey Kelly what's the fishing like on the north side of the lake? Is it generally the same quality as straight out of Hillmans? More crappie than walleye?

The past few days have been more nothing then nothing. Bad bite. \:\( The northside has less stucture and dropoffs then the south or east side. Kinda laid back but calmer weather, walleyes to 12 feet of water, walleyes and crappies beyond that. I think a lot of it goes back to the homestead days. The Swedes took the south side of the lake while the German/Bohunks took the north side.

kelly-p,

my skid house was almost exactly 5.1 miles out...

do you know if this new road goes real close to a blue house, with white door/trim and a satellite dish mounted on the corner??

I had planned on moving it anyway, but now I'm worried about new plow banks??

Thanks again to you and jonny for the help last March!!

wksparrow

I will check in the morning buy I'm sure your house is OK. I didn't run the road close to any houses but picked the most wide open route through the houses. You're right about the road bank tho. I put the bank on the south/west side of the road and in hours it had broken through the ice and sank. Now we are worried that when it warms up and makes pressure ridges that it will form a ridge along that road. \:\(

The way we have placed the road banks nobody is caught behind any.

The 2 man does have a 4 burner stove with oven.

Checked your house today, everything is fine. \:\) The people using it seem like really nice people. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

As long as you stay on the roads, your fine with using a car. So far it doesn't sound like there are very many ridges out there. If you want to go off roading, you'll need a 4x4

With the banks I don't think you will get your car off the road. If you park off a spur and walk you should be ok I would think as long as you don't block the road.

Johnny-seems like the crappies are tougher than finding a 720 score from Factual data!!!!

Coming up on Friday 1/31. Have 4x4 truck but want to get off the roads alittle and venture out with the portbale. Can the trucks get through the snow off of the plowed roads or do I need to bring the 4-wheeler?

I appreciate the info. from anyone who has been on the lake recently. Doesn't look like any new snow in the forcast either.

You can get around some in 4x4... watch the drifts, back up in your own tracks if you start to chatter, pick some old tracks to follow or just venture out on some un-used/little used roads...

Buy some Blizzaks... I finally broke down and bought a set... UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Good Luck!

Ken