• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Early Opener or no open Walleye

Walleye season should not open in some non-reproductive lakes????

Read yesterday a very interesting article in Outdoor news where Dick Sternberg stated that some lakes that show no natural walleye reproduction should not open for the walleye season .

According to a statement in paper almost 100% of the lakes in southern Minnesota are stocked

The reason being is that most lakes in southern half of state no longer show natural walleye spawn and or reproduction.

The lakes now are warmer in summer and miss the cooler temps and other things that are in natures pattern.

In northern Minnesota this article also cautions against a week earlier walleye opener as spawn may not be complete.

Wow was I surprised to hear that most lakes in the southern half of our state show the inability to have any walleye population hold its own.

Dick Sternberg was just honored by Outdoor Life as one of the outdoors 25 most respected persons of lifetime.this honor was for his lifetime work as a fisheries biologist.Last Sunday morning I also watched a show that had him searching the arctic lakes for Lake Trout rumored to be in the 10 foot 400 pound catagory.They carefully documented his use of special lures [3 foot soft and hard baits with cameras attached]to go looking for these monsters.This is in a lake that has 40 to 50 pound lakers.

He is also the guy that got the accelerated stocking programs going here and is the person said to be souley responsible for saving Leech lake from its walleye disaster a decade ago.If you were at the walleye program he was hired by Green Lake Property Owners at Spicer last year you would quickly see that he profiled Green same as Leech and basicaly ran us thru their program but put

Green lake on its title ,with the addition of our chara weed.

So do we close season all year long on some southern Mn lakes and do we have to believe that walleye cant survive without totally being stocked,or what is the future and expense rate for the walleye????

I am afraid that at some point cost is going to overcome need.

That eventually we will have to travel north just to fish this creature or add private funding to keep it as a game option.Fishing fees already are not supporting the DNRS cash flow as they take constantly from hunting liscense fees to keep our fish programs going and for some reason they now want the 2 to fund themselves.This doesnt even consider they also have a forestry and state parks system.

Lots of things are going to have to be discussed soon to keep our fisheries at a safe level.

Is the DNR going to do a money shift and not fund fisheries?

Please read the column in last weeks Outdoor news

What does it hurt by closing it for a coupla months? Guys who have just one hobby are left to rotate on their thumbs, or chase panfish? I'm all about the fishing experience, and eating fish dinner after fish dinner is not what it is about. I suspect that I am not the only one who feels that way. I'm all for lowering limits for the good of the fishing in this state. I'd fish just as much as I do now if I WASN'T ALLOWED TO KEEP A SINGLE FISH! Not saying I want that to happen because I do love fried fish, but you get my point.

The DNR needs to keep hunting and fishing revenues separate on their balance sheet--not fair to dump all the money into one activity when habitat loss for hunting, bird rearing, etc at this state is of such concern.

Prime you watchin the History channel?? MonsterQuest?? I saw it twice now its called monsterfish Sternberg is trollin for a laker reported to be 14 foot!! If ya havent seen it try catchin it.

Sparcebag

it would have been a great film sequence if they found one.

just think if they would have hooked one

you have to put a lot of faith in the person that gave you the report of such a monster to travel up their after having all the special equipment made and planning for it .

Just like our fishing reports here and just like Red Green [i am a man so I can change]

Try convincing your wife your going up after a fish like that and than filming the trip

it was a great show

primetime several years ago we had an election fund fishing with the proceeds from the lottery? what has happened to that money? it has been put in the general fund so our politicians can put it to better use? maybe when these questions get honest answers the 3/16 would have a chance. time to put the money in the llakes in the form of fish not bait! castindad

castin dad

the idea of lottery moneys for outdoors kinda got smeared with the two officials that later committed suicide after missapropriation of funds for filming a bass tourney series and other costs involved were brought up .

General funding of moneys is not good for some things ,but it makes easy work as it seems for the outdoors the idea that the loottery is really helping .

It is just an enhancement for making it look like something good comes out of gambling.

The 3/16th deal wont fly because it is a copy of Missouri's bill and legilators like to write new bills not copy other states working models.

They here in Minnesota simply have attempted to many times to add this[it needs a vote from us as the ammendament to FISH AND HUNT did about a decade ago.It should be for us to vote ,not for them to push aside and add arts music etc to.

Let them start selling non game viewing liscsnse instead of just having a spot on tax form that doesnt get enough funds.

Until fishing and hunting fees fund the sports persons game and not the bird watchers ,state parks,etc.we will not have enough funding.

No more general funding please.

we need to hold the state people to show us where the money is being used. lottery for the outdoors suurree ;\)