• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

pictures of fly boxes

Andrew Erickson

lets see everyones boxes! >heres mine,probably not as impressive as some of you other guys but its a start

actually i got those from my dads friend who ties them.He surprised me with all of those

Nice box rincrat. Thanks for sharing. I need to find someone who will fill my flybox ;\)

I don't have any recent pictures of my boxes. I'll have to take a few photos after I'm done tying a little more and post them here.

Not a whole lot for me to show right now. The end of the Brule season doesn't leave a lot of time to tie and I went right down to the wire. I need to start tying hard again after the bash this weekend. Then I'll post a few pics.

I haven't begun refilling my boxes yet, I just started and only tied about three dozen carp flies last week. I picked up a bunch of materials last week, so I should be ready to rock and roll, especially after I put in an order for some 4x strong nymph hooks.

here are some of my fly boxes, there are still a few more that are unaccounted for in my basement, like my crawfish box, wooly buggers, and other smallmouth flies...

carp flies

carpfliesqh8.jpg

dries

driesmy4.jpg

nymphs

nymphspl8.jpg

streamers

streamerboxee6.jpg

clousers, zonkers, divers and half chickens

bigfliesfv8.jpg

nice boxes. Maybe ill get off my tail and take some pictures. I got them all laid out so i can fill the empty spots.

For the most I tie jig and jigflies for panfish. I do tie some flies to use on a drop shot rig.

I really like the Rose creek fly boxes.

IceFishing08011600x450.jpg

IceFishing08010600x450.jpg

IceFishing08009600x450.jpg

Do you mold your own heads? There's some cool ones in there. Can i put an order in grin.gif.

Originally Posted By: Catfishunter
Do you mold your own heads? There's some cool ones in there. Can i put an order in grin.gif.

Yes I do cast my own heads, sorry I do not sell them.

Keeping my fishing friends supplied keeps me busy enough. :-)

All the heads that I use are available from dealers and suppliers.

The picture is a year old, but took delivery today of:

100Gamakatsu SL11-3H size 4

2 Pseudo hair - white and barred tan

2 maribou - tan and olive

2 body pearl

2 Danville's 3-0

6 Teeny flats leaders

1 2X Seaguar Fluoro

Flies-1.jpg

Nice how many diverse fly boxes there are out there. Says a lot.

Craig

You have to tell me what lake in Northome, MN has bones and permit grin.gif Nice looking looking boxes

I took an interesting route into this fly fishing thing. First, a co-worker showed me the clouser minnow. I tied clousers until I couldn't see anything more in fresh water I could do with them.

So watching TV one day, I decided to tie bonefish flies. After I had about 50, I went bonefishing. That was 7 years ago. It's now a pilgrimage.

All down hill since. Fortunately, hair and feathers are cheap or free. But dang - rods and reels - air fare - guides - Uff Duh. But a 4 pound bone on a second run, PRICELESS.

Craig

Quote:
But a 4 pound bone on a second run, PRICELESS.

Ain't that the truth! Where do you go? I've been to Mexico once and the Keys a couple times. I didn't believe the guy I was with when he told me to hold on, it took me about a second to realize what he meant! Man those fish are strong.

Nice looking needlefish too!

Craig's Flat's Fishng Experience:

1. Marathon, FL Keys. Guide - won't say who. Maybe just a bad day. Rip off. If I want to pay that kind of money to be told what an idiot I am, I'll stay home. Plenty of idiot right here.

2. Bimini, Bahamas. Guides - Bonefish Rudy and Action Jackson. Maybe a little close to the Keys. Because even though I caught Bonefish on bait, I felt my guides were a little hard on me. Of course, I still knew little of what I was doing. But there's no turning back now!!!

3. Green Turtle Key, Abaco, Bahamas - Guide - Captain Rick Sawyer. Excellent. First bone on a fly, and excellent teacher. If I run into Rick in a bar tomorrow, we'll be fast friends. And he'll remember the times we had.

4. Grand Bahama - Grand Bahama Bonefishing - Guide - Theo. Excellent. Boated so many bones on my own flies - unbelievable. Wife and kid like the island and night life too.

5. Grand Bahama - Grand Bahama Bonefishing - Guide - Kenny. Better than ever. Caught Baracuda too. Almost a better fighter than the bones.

6. Exuma - Bahamas. Exuma Bonefish - Guide - Reno Rolle. Awesome. Ultra high tides rule out the usual Exuma white sand wading, but caught several of my biggest bones ever from a Boston Whaler. Reno is a star.

7. This year - Grand Bahama - Grand Bahama Bonefishing. Who knows. But it will be good.

Craig

good luck Craig. I'll bet you'll have a blast and some great stories to tell us all when you get back!

Here's my new 20 man Gotcha Army:

GotchaArmy.jpg

Two nights work. This is the bread and butter Bahamas Bonefish fly. I've used hundreds and lost abut a two dozen of them, and These are the finest I've ever seen. Really!

I'll be tying several other concoctions, got hundreds from past years, but I betcha most bonefish I catch this year come on these. Period.

Craig

Nice looking flys. Are you headed to the salt soon? My mother retired to the Yucatan in Puerto Morelos. I remember taping a flashlight to a frog spear and wading the flats at night (near Punta Allen) for octopus! We could walk so far out into the blackness and it never seemed to get past knee deep. That was over 15 years ago and all the land is spoken for, so no more just driving till you hit beach. My brother has had some tremendous flats fishing near her home. I have tied tons of flats and salt patterns in anticipation for fishing there, but just havn't made the time yet.

I love the hook point up style flys for freshwater too. I've tied a few crazy charlie styles and have great luck on local lakes. One of my favorite carp flys is a bonefish biter....epoxy head shrimp looking thing. I've taken early season crappie on gotchas like the pearl ones you tied.

Ever try the Surf Candy patterns? I made some a while back as a way to try out other baitfish flys along with the clousers. If you don't mind working with epoxy they make a real cool fly. I think for stripers originally, but ought to catch fish anywhere.

Ummmm - Could you post a picture of your Mom? ;\);\);\)

Wow. You need to make time. Should be permit and bones galore in that area. If you're thinking of making a visit, don't forget your old friend Craig!

I too have had great luck fishing bone flies for local fish. Perch love small Crazy Charlies. And I've caught walleye, crappies, northern, heck you name it. It seems like fish are attracted to similar things wether salt or fresh.

I don't do epoxy. But I've thought about hot glue - apparently you can work it much the same but quicker. I'm keeping that one maybe for next year.

This year I'm doing Gotcha's, Charlies, Flats Shrimp, Pink Puffs, and Flats Rabbits. Sad truth is I need to have a garage sale for all the flies I never use. But the new ones just get better and better!

Craig

PS - Don't forget that picture of your Mom! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Tonight's little diversion is.....

Bunnys.jpg

Flats Bunny's. I've never tied or fished these before, but sinfully easy. Just thread, bunny strips, eyes and a little flash. Oh yeah, and a hook.

I'm thinking they'll be good on beach side flats, where there's a lot of moving water/waves. We get into this type stuff on days off, cruising around in a Jeep. Pretty fun.

Craig

Craig,

My fiance and I may be taking our honeymoon in bonefish country. Let me know what the cost for about 10 of those babies. Nice looking flies.

MM

If your fiance doesn't mind, maybe I could bunk on a roll-away?

That way, you could just use what you wanted out of my box!

Usually if you have a couple of refusals, a guide will offer you something out of his pocket. I've never accepted. If I didn't tie it, I'm not using it. Somehow it's better that way.

I don't think I want to get into the sales business. Thing is they are sort of like my children. I know every little imperfection. Each is an individual. They can never let me down. But they could surely let you down, and I don't want to be responsible for that!

Craig

I hear you man...just thought I'd throw it out there... I have the fly fishing "bug" but haven't started tying yet...I know that's the next thing...

It's cold and windy. Might as well twist up a few more.

Picture.jpg

These are sort of hybrids. Things my mind put together from years past on Grand Bahama.

I ran out of black dumbbell eyes. But remembered an old trick - the Birchwood-Casey gun bluing pen! Makes silver eyes blacker than store bought. Works on bead chain too!

Craig

Nice boxes guys. This sure has been perfect weather for spending some time at the vise. Another couple days, the bass boxes should be replenished. Few more weighted olive buggers and some clousers and the Big stuff is done. Gives me a month on so to concentrate on the trout flies, hope the fingers are ready. Keep the photos coming!

BassSubsurface.jpg

BassPoppers.jpg

onthejob2

The 3 crayfish in the upper left of the first picture look great. Do you have a pattern for them? I have been looking around for a good pattern and have yet to find one I like.

Great looking flies!