• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up to Long Lake near Glen for the weekend. Anybody have any info or general locations for some panfish/walleyes? Friend has a cabin on the north end by the access. Have fished it a couple times before in the winter and have got a few pike on tip-ups, but nothing too special. Any info would be great, will post when I get back.

I've been up there a couple of times and got a few pike, as well as a few bass. Last time I fished there was some terrible wind, had to build snow walls around the tip-ups to try to keep them from getting snowed in. Was fishing west of the deep hole. Sound familiar?

Long Lake was a former Granite Quarry back in the early 19th century. They dug down and hit water and flooded the quarry. The water is deep and very clear. I have fished it for years but have not had a lot of luck there. There are a few crappies and some sunfish and yeah you can pick up a northern or two. Every once in awhile you can even find a walleye by some miracle??

A better option for walleyes is Dam lake across the road from Long Lake. Abpout 5 years ago the DNR stocked Dam with walleyes and it is now starting to produce some nice catches. I posted about Dam back in December when someone asked me about it.

I have a friend who lives on the Dam Lake year round and as my parents have a cottage on Clear Lake at Glen I stopped by from fishing panfish on Clear. My friend said they were catching walleyes off the point on the South side of the lake near the resort there in about 25-35 FOW. Dam also has good size crappies, sunfish and decent size perch.

GO ahead and try Long if you want. Who knows you might have good luck. There is a whole in Long that is over 100 feet deep. I never understood why if it has holes like that the DNR never stocked it with Lakers? But then I never understood the DNR anyway. Good Luck! Tignt Lines.

Thanks for the info UncleKes, I'm going to be up there with Perch Lips this weekend, and I'm sure we'll hit up Dam after your info. We'll be sure to post how we did.

Thanks again!

If you like big gills the north west side in nine to twelve fow 4am till the sun hits the trees then their gone. This spot is on dam also.

Well we tried to hit up Dam on Friday night, but got there a little later than expected and didn't really have enough time to explore and find anything. We set up off the point by the resort, and just couldn't find the right spot with such big changes in the depth. Tried our luck on Saturday morning on Long Lake to no avail, and Saturday afternoon hit Lilly Lake between Dam and Long and found a couple of gills and hammer handle pike. All in all a fun trip, but nothing noteworthy in the fishing department. Thanks for the tips farmfishing and UncleKes.

Sorry you had such a miserable trip, Snoot! I would NOT give up on Dam Lake though. There are a couple of other nice places up in that area I can let you know about. Email me at [email protected] and I will let you know.

Tight lines!

UncleKes

Have spent a lot of time on long lake in the past. Even had a fish house out in front of the landing just a few years ago. There is decent tip up fishing around the landing for pike. Plenty of hammer handles to go around. Need to look around the deeper water for crappies. We used to do good out on the main part of the lake. Just need to get the mercom out at look around for schools of fish. I wouldnt even drill a hole until you can see them on the flasher.

Dam lake has plenty of crappies also. You are going to sort threw a lot of small ones. Dam is very good for pike fishing but again most are hammer handles.

Lily used to be a good pan fish lake. Most likely still is as it does not seem to see much pressure. I may be up on long lake next weekend looking for crappies.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.