• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

saturday's calling report

picksbigwagon

Okay, got out for the first time this year (2008) on saturday. Yes I waited until after lunchtime when the temperature hit a balmy 3 degree's. We made 5 stands total and had a lot of crows respond as well as a few red tail hawks. On our second set of the day, we were calling from a tangle of trees in a corner where 4 different fields meet. after about 5 minutes of distressed rabbit, I tried a young challenge howl. within 5 minutes, I saw a coyote coming towards me from about 1/2 mile away.

I lost that coyote as it came to a point in the woods about 400 yards away. I continue with the rabbit distress when I see a second coyote coming from the same area as the first one. I assumed the first coyote had circeld behind the hill in front of us and I was watching down wind for it to show. Well, I start watching the second coyote and it trots to the point of woods on the field edge and plops down on its' keister. I notice something next to him. it is the first coyote. My hunting partner said he saw the first one appear on that point when I started looking down wind.

So, after 10 minutes of trying to get them to close the last 400 yards of open field (I know, pipe dream but I tried to coax them across that open field) they stand up and walk back into the woods. Man the blood was pumping so much I forgot it was cold, with a 15 mph cross wind and the temp was about 5 degrees. well we made 3 more stands and saw a lot of coyote tracks but had nothing else report to the call.

The fur buyer at Weibke's in Eitzen said that he is starting to see evidence of the coyotes pairing up and mating (fur being bit on the necks, etc.) He wasn't sure how much longer he would be buying coyote pelts. SO, they are starting to pair up for a little coyote whoopee, which means that howling would be a better choice for this time. Distress will still work, but the males don't want any other coyotes moving in on his territory or his mate.

Hopefully will get out next weekend for a little hunt locally, if I do, I will report it.

Have a good week everyone.

Excellent Tom, that's a nice report, I am thinking to get out too, I've got to sight in my AR now....

guys in my group got 3 more yotes this weekend; i think they said they saw 7 yotes and 4 fox over all. they were definetely out in the open all weekend. i wish i coulda been out!

spot and stalk. pretty easy when they are in the open like they were for the boys on sunday. drop one guy off down wind; put the sneak on em, everybody else posts likely escape routes. line fences, draws, drainage ditches, etc.

20 dollar bill for me! I have heard between $10-$20 of course there are a few things to factor in