• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

need help concerning minnesota fishing

gitusumbia

Im coming up to minnesota in the middle of march to see a friend in school there. I will be there for around a week and would really love to do some fishing. I know it is not the best date wise because it is kinda between ice fishing and "opening day" or whatever name yall gave it. However it is the only time I can go up there. Its always been a dream of mine to catch a smallmouth, walleye, trout of any kinda, muskie or pike or even yellow perch..well because we dont have those in my part of Texas. I am a die hard fisherman and any information would be great. Rivers, streams, lakes, if it is fishable I will try it. And if any of you are coming down to texas to fish anytime and need help Ill tell you what I know. If I dont know it, someone at texasfishingforum.com will. Alot like your site and it has been a great help to me.

Gitsumbie, welcome to FM! I have used the site you mentioned when I went to Galveston and it was a great help.

First off what area of Minnesota will you be visiting. There are some good opportunities for Salmonoid's (various trout & salmon) on Lake Superior in my neck of the woods.

Dependant on what area you are headed to different bodies of water sometimes have different regulations that would allow you to target some of the species in which you seek. Also if you are in the Northern part of Minnesota, you still may be able to get out on some of the ice if its still in good shape.

I will be for the most part in St. Cloud. However my friend's girlfriend dad has a lake house somewhere north west of there. Once I find out what lake it is on again Ill let you know. Thanks for any help.

Before opener any walleye fishing will be not legal.

Only exception are Mississippi River pool 3 and 4

Ever been Ice fishing? You may get a major hoot out of that eh!!

If you can make it all the way up to the Lake of the Woods which sits on the US and Canada border nearer the NW corner of the state you will find open seaons and most excellent fishing for some of the fishes you mention. Lake of the Woods is a world class Pike and Walleye fishery known for both abundance of fishes as well as great big fish potential. Mid March and on is trophy Pike time on the LOTW ice sheet. Walleye big and small are snappin mid-late march till the season closes mid april. Catching Walleye on this lake is 99 percent of the time a gimme for sure thing probably unrivaled anywhere, with trophy potential rivaling anywhere. The Perch fishing is kind of overlooked by most visitors and is untapped, march is as good as it gets. This pond they grow big and fat too.

Depending on just when in March you are coming and how the late winter and spring thaw treat us you may be able to get in on the Rainy Rivers world renowned Prespawn Walleye bite via boat if that is doable.

Anyhows enjoy your trip and bring lots of warm gear as mid march can be full on MN winter bad cold still! You found the right place for info on fishing in Mn. Welcome.

Regards.....fiskyknut

St louis river/bay/whole estuary is also very good fishing. I agree with Fiskyknut. I had one of my best opener in years in 2007 up on LOTW. I used to never make it up there till about 4 or 5 years ago and it hooked me. LOTW is premiere walleye fishing and it doesnt take a real skilled fisherman to have good luck

The lake their lake house is at is called Wall Lake, near Fergus Falls. I have been ice fishing once, and caught some really nice bream doing so. I really just want a good trip, because I dont know when the next time I will be able to go back is. I might not git a chance to fish up there again for 10 or more years as far as i know. Always something I wanted to do, heard it is beautiful country, even in winter. Down here we have big fish, and salt water is really addicting if any of you ever git the chance to go wading it is awesome. I think it will be right in middle of march. I also have a fly rod, but the way i cast it seems like it is more for show then use lol.

You're right; it's one of the toughest times of year to suggest something. best bet would likely be ice fishing on a lake by fergus, or north of there. Don't know any specifics for over there, but as they have a lake house there they likely know some decent lakes. Trouble is, the ice could be goind fast by then. As suggested by Chef, the north shore can be getting good then, but it's a drive over from Fergus. No bass, waleye, northern...except in the couple specifics mentioned earlier.

I live an hour 60 mi. from St.Cloud if ya want crappie which is open that time of year,you are welcome to contact me and come on down,I know you probably get crappie in Tex,but open seasons arent till May.

Where in Tex I lived in Ammarillo,Annona east of Paris.

While fishin crapie we also catch dogfish (Grennel)walleyes & nothern.

I live in houston. Though I have no lakes right around me I have about 6 lakes within 1:30 and the gulf not too far away. Fishing up north kind of reminds me of the gulf in some ways. Sometimes you dont know how big something will be or what it will be. And you cant lip most of those teethy fish.