• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

piddle on the floor...

Trick

I just got an 8 yr old german shorthair a few months ago & he was supposed to be fully house trained. He is a very smart & obedient fella....maybe a lil too smart! He will not pee in the house if there is someone inside with him, but if I leave & come back in a couple hours, he will have peed on the rug in front of the door. Its like he is trying to get even with me for leaving him behind! I know that putting him in his crate when I leave would fix the problem, but does anyone else have any other ideas so I dont have to do that? Its tough to try to correct him for something that you cant catch him doing. Thank you,

Trick

One of the big things to do is get the smell of his urine off the rug. This won't fix the problem, but it will help. Some dogs urinate in the same place out of habit. Getting the smell out will help solve the problem.

You can buy stuff at pet stores for this.

Thanks Boilerguy,

I did go over the area several times with a rug doctor right after I discovered it. I let him have the run of the house all night after i go to bed & he doesnt bother a bit...its just when I leave him at home for a while. I have been putting him in his crate when I leave (which he doesnt seem to mind), but I just wish there was a way to correct him so I wouldnt have to feel guilty when i have to leave the house without him for a while.

Trick

Why do you feel guilty about the crate? As long as you don't make the crate a negative place then he won't mind taking a snooze in it while you are gone. Most dogs sleep a majority of the day anyways so why not let him sleep in his crate?

This is true. The crate is a happy place.

I understand wanting to let your dog cruise around and stretch his legs, but sometimes the crate is the thing to do.

I know what you're saying. I would just feel better if I could let him roam so he can look out the windows or play with his toys or just be somewhat active. I gave him the test again today...I left for about 20 minutes & came home to find pee on the door again, so I guess from now on he will be spending some time in his crate. He is fine with being in there most of the time & naps in there on & off all day anyway. He just whines a lil bit when I first close the door which makes me feel a lil guilty, but I guess thats just the way it'll have to be. Thanks for your input TRITC.

Our 8y/o springer is always in the crate when we are not home. he is 65 lbs and would sleep on the kitchen table when we were gone and the garbage was his playground. Since crating him, all problems gone and he is ok with that. Now we have a 3 month old springer and she has learned real quick that her crate is her friend when we are sleeping and not home.

Trick

This is the best stuff for dog mistakes (Nature's Miracle Stain & Odor Remover) You can go over 20 times with carpet cleaner and the scent is still there. My Lab darn near runs through the back of the kennel when I say kennel. Of course he gets a treat. When I get home and let him out he is happy I am happy and for a walk we go...Good luck

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• jparrucci
      Very low, probably 2 feet lower than last year at ice out.
    • mbeyer
      what do they look like this spring?
    • SkunkedAgain
      I might have missed a guess, but here are the ones that I noted:   JerkinLips – March 27th, then April 7th Brianf. – March 28th Bobberwatcher – April…. MikeG3Boat – April 10th SkunkedAgain – early April, then April 21st   Definitely a tough year for guesses, as it seemed to be a no-brainer early ice out. Then it got cold and snowed again.
    • mbeyer
      MN DNR posted April 13 as Ice out date for Vermilion
    • Brianf.
      ^^^45 in the morning and 47 in the evening
    • CigarGuy
      👍. What was the water temp in Black Bay? Thanks....
    • Brianf.
      No, that wasn't me.  I drive a 621 Ranger. 
    • CigarGuy
      So, that was you in the camo lund? I'm bummed, I have to head back to the cities tomorrow for a few days, then back up for at least a few weeks. Got the dock in and fired up to get out chasing some crappies till opener!
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Lots of ice on the main basin, but it is definitely deteriorating.  Some anglers have been fishing the open water at the mouth of the Rainy River in front of the Lighthouse Gap.  The rest of the basin is still iced over. Pike enthusiasts caught some big pike earlier last week tip up fishing in pre-spawn areas adjacent to traditional spawning areas.  8 - 14' of water using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring has been the ticket.  Ice fishing for all practical purposes is done for the year. The focus for the basin moving forward will be pike transitioning into back bays to spawn,  This is open water fishing and an opportunity available as the pike season is open year round on Lake of the Woods. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. With both the ice fishing and spring fishing on the Rainy River being so good, many are looking forward to the MN Fishing Opener on Saturday, May 11th.  It should be epic. On the Rainy River...  An absolutely incredible week of walleye and sturgeon fishing on the Rain Rainy River.     Walleye anglers, as a rule, caught good numbers of fish and lots of big fish.  This spring was one for the books.   To follow that up, the sturgeon season is currently underway and although every day can be different, many boats have caught 30 - 40 sturgeon in a day!  We have heard of fish measuring into the low 70 inch range.  Lots in the 60 - 70 inch range as well.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  Open water is continuing to expand in areas with current.  The sight of open water simply is wetting the pallet of those eager for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th.   A few locals were on the ice this week, targeting pike.  Some big slimers were iced along with some muskies as well.  If you like fishing for predators, LOW is healthy!  
    • Brianf.
      Early bird gets the worm some say...   I have it on good authority that this very special angler caught no walleyes or muskies and that any panfish caught were released unharmed.        

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.