• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading out of Warroad

For my b-day present my wife rented a hotel up in Warroad for the both of us and then we are going out to do some fishing through the weekend. We did this a few years back and accessed the lake down a road I think was named Ballard Rd? Anybody familiar with that area that may confirm my memory? We did really well that day and I would like to go out of the same location this time.

Thanks

I know that springsteel resort has a road plowed all the way out to the south tip and i think they plowed all the way out to the 5 mile from what i have heard. Otherwise there is a trail road right off the landing in town that will take u either out to the 5 or to the swift ditch, south shore area as well.

I'd guess you mean Babblers road...it's about 18 miles from Warroad though?

FYI....The Springsteel Resort crew does not plow a road to 5mile.

fiskyknut

Yeah Fisky, I think Babblers road is right. It was a ways from the hotel. There was a guy at the beginning of the ice road and he said he had it flowed about 7 miles out.

Yepper goes out all the way out to 16 mile reef.

Good luck and happy birthday!

Thanks for the well wishes. Might be a lot but could you maybe give me some directions to the road out of Warroad?

mattkimk,

Take HWY 11 East towards Baudette about 3miles, and take left on CTY RD 12. Take 12 and go east for 10 miles give or take a couple. You will come to a Tee at CTY 17 (Rocky Point Road), take left on 17 and follow it as follows. You will go north 2 miles on 17, then 1 mile east, then 2 miles north and about 3/4 mile east, then about 2 miles more north again and you will be at Bablers. Take it easy on the curves, they can be slick at times. Good luck and hope you don't get lost with my directions.

later,

toddb

Hmmm thats news to me and I have'nt seen folks driving out from thatta way. Last time I spoke with Jim he had no plans to plow out there, that was a week and a half back though. I have'nt noticed any Springsteel huts out there on 5mile myself and their huts kinda stick out like a sore thumb with those bright paint jobs! Perhaps they've drug a few out there in the past 2 days though?

Hmmm I'll try and get ahold of Jim or Mike and get the skinny.

Just spoke with Mike on phone they do have a plow track out to there but no rental huts out there as of today. First time they've plowed out to the 5mile in years....farout!

fiskyknut

hey fisky long time no talk, hows it going?? the road to five mile is just north of the rock pile.

Ya longtime Daniel, you gots to pop in more often eh!!

Good to know they are plowing in case of big snow....For now I've been making my way out there on a free track though as long as it holds up!

Things are good....Furnace working and no pipes a freezin! Fishings been consistent fair to good, I'm eating lots of Perch and sending Walleye and Sauger fillets to my folks fairly regular too! and I've only had 1 on ice calamity so far this year just this past Thursday! Saturday saw a near calamity! Gonna get out a coupla times this week and the with weather finally looking to warm up all is good!

Regards.....fiskyknut

Yea Mike has been doing most of the plowing out there this year, and in my opinion it's the best roads they have had out there in years.

hey fisky shot me a email or give me a call sometime we could head out on the big pond one day . im usually out there 2 to 3 days a week out in the south tip area.. youll have to tell me about those calamitys...

Agreed Deano....Pretty much all of Muskeg froze up nicely this year and for sure the Springsteel roads are darn good. I made my westerly migration early this year just on account of the good ice conditions. Nice to have a winter without that major active breaker 1-2 miles out of Warroad as we see so often!

I'll do that Dan...Looking like Tues, Wed, and Thur for me....Barring calamities that is!!!

well i guess this week is off on thursday im packing up and pulling the shack to URL for 4 days of slab hunting..... myabe next week if im not sick of fishing by then... lol does that ever happen??