• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Roadkill

tunrevir

Just got a call today from my wifes uncle in white bear and got a road killed(shot by PD) doe from his back yard. My question to you all is how many have you been treated to the feast of a roadkill? Innards seemed intact for the most part and the shoulders looked okay as well as the haunches. I got the permit and it is hanging right now. I'd imagine there will be a certain amount of meat that isn't salvageable but for the most part am looking foreward to cleaning it up. I already promised the uncle some prime cuts and the suasage meat. Just curious if any of you have had any luck with something like this as far as salvageable meat.

Tunrevir~

you won't really know til you get it skinned! then you will be able to see how much damage there is. i have had them where only a front shoulder was wasted,had to cut one in half, or had to throw most of it away. del

Like Del said.. skin it...

take what you feel safe taking. I have recieved a few road kills, often times you will loose some meat to bad bruising. But others it isnt any worse than your shot...

Skin it, and remove anything that doesnt "look good" to you.. and enjoy the rest!

Like the others said, the only way to tell is to get the skin off. Look for deep bruising, urine, and guts. Most likely the backstraps, neck and at least the non-contact side should be ok, probably not for steaks, but you can always grind it up.

I have butchered many roadkill. Same as any shot deer, just remove the damaged part of the deer.

I've never done it myself, but my brother hit one and it turned out almost all the meat was good because he hit it in the head/neck area. I agree though, the only way to tell is hang it and skin it.

Well, the good news is that after skinning the deer there were 3 good quarters as it must have gotten hit in the head neack and partial front quarter. No broken bones but bruising was evident on one front quarter. I'll finish cutting and packing it up today and hopefully have some fresh loins out in the shack today. Thanks for your input guys!

Tunrevir~

I'm out on Forest Lake and will be doing some backstraps as well. Just follow your nose!

Tunrevir~

Thanks for the offer but, that approx 80 miles away and I cannot smell that good.

Enjoy the straps.