• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I think I'm going to brave the cold this weekend. It's either hardcore or really dumb.

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep hammering the panfish or go after bigger prey ('eyes and slimers). I've been having great luck with the perch, crappies, and gills on duck. I'm thinking about hitting Frances, Elysian, or Tetonka. I haven't been out on those lakes yet, except Frances without any luck. If anyone wants to meet up let me know. My electronics are shot and I'm relying on a small auger right now, so that part is kinda rough for fishing. Any suggestions would be appreciated, if they work out I'll share the info. I think I'm going to be going out early tomorrow, like 7ish, so if anyone wants to meet up, let me know.

Let me know how you do. I'll check back from time to time in between beers and channel surfing. \:\/

To, your not going fishing this weekend? whats up with that? Are you scared of a little frost bite? grin.gif Or is it the hypothermia that bothers you? grin.gif

I my self am gonna crank the heat in the fish house and hope that I don't get any flags outside! \:\/

Since 12-19-07, I've fished 22 - 24 days (something like that). A break is in order.

keep in mind that no matter the ice thickness ice is never safe ^& no matter how heavily traveled if you go through I woyuld like to say it was nice noing ya but I would never get the chance.... so be careful if you go and good luck !!! I am undecided if i'm going yet!!!

Definition of cold: when you spit and it bounces off the snow.

Wasn't a bad morning caught 6 crappies, 2 sunnies, and a teeny perch. I got out to the lake (Duck, been good for panfish so I couldn't argue with previous success) about 7:30 and started fishing about 8. I was in 20+ feet of water and a foot off the bottom and they were hitting on wax worms and crappie minnows. I tried moving the bait up and down in the water and a few crappies where 5-10 feet off the bottom. They seemed to move up about 9:30 and around ten they shut off for the most part. I did some light jigging and let the bait set for a few minutes and that worked pretty well: I even pulled a sunny up on a minnow. I was comfortable with the heater and proper clothing, didn't even wear my jacket. The holes froze up around the edges a little and the slip bobbers froze but other than that -15º was no problem.

I braved Friday and Saturday. We got a few sunnies and crappies, but it was pretty slow. Did get 1 5lb northern that gave a good battle.

I went out for the better part of Saturday. We hit a few crappies and sunnies on Roberds in the morning and early afternoon. Tried Mazaska for awhile in the afternoon and early evening, found a few small 'eyes and a couple of crappies. Noting to be really proud of, it might have been chilly but it was still a good day on the lake.

Yeah, the fishing wasn't great, but at least they were biting. I just wanted bragging rights to say I fished the coldest day of the year! grin.gif

Fished thurs-sun ended up with 9 eyes 12-19 inches 5 of the 9 came thurs night sat and sun it was slow

I moved the house to the north side of the lake Otter u and I talked about lots of fish but they didnt want to eat im going to hit it again tomorrow I think

Beautiful.

Keep an open day in late February or March for a trip back to Sarah...

Sarah would be fun to hit again I will be up on red feb 27 28 29 and march 1st and 2nd anytime after that I would be up for a trip back there

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.