• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Morneau signs

IFallsRon

MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota Twins first baseman Justin Morneau agreed Friday to a $7.4 million one-year contract, avoiding arbitration.

The 2006 American League MVP received a nearly $3 million raise from the $4.5 million he made last year. Morneau is eligible for free agency after the 2010 season.

Morneau hit .271 with 31 home runs and 111 RBIs last year. His power numbers nearly matched his MVP season, but his average slipped significantly from the .321 he hit in 2006. He's a career .276 hitter, with 110 home runs and 394 RBIs.

His deal leaves three Twins facing possible arbitration: right fielder Michael Cuddyer and right-handers Matt Guerrier and Juan Rincon.

Outfielder Jason Kubel reached a $1.3 million, one-year deal on Thursday.

God dangit. This is just stupid. When are they gonna wake up and realize that salaries are not going down. They needed to get him inked long term. Looks like keep waiting and signing him to one-year deals until he hits FA, at which point we'll get the old [PoorWordUsage] company line: HE'S TOO EXPENSIVE!! Let's trade him for prospects.

Sick of the Twins FO and Pohlad. I hope that stadium burns to the ground 3 days after it's built.

So Sickening!!!! mad.gif

Willy -- You are right on, My Brother.

Makes me sick.

We are the Yankee Farm System even though we get a new Stadium.

SICK

Maybe we should be called the MN Spankees.

Seriously.

I know I pick on the Yankees and Hunter went to CA and Santana will go to Mets.

But still ... Got ta Hate 'em.

they need to sign santana next and then pohlad needs to sell the team hes to cheep to sign any good players

The twins are really cheap. I think it starts at the top. Well, first off I'm glad to hear he signed a deal, but come on. Make a deal longer than one year. We're not gonna win a title by doing that. Pathetic. I think it starts at the top. We need a new owner thats willing to put some money into the team so we can get good players and keep them. Stienbrenner is doing something right over there, they seem to make it to the playoffs quite a bit.

there not sticking money into the team becuase there spending money on a new field...............period..

They didn't stick money into the team when a new feild wasn't even thought of yet. I guess the only thing we can hope for is a change after the new stadium.

thats correct. My feeling is that if they start to have horrible years, there going to have to start paying people to play again

That may start to happen next year. I don't see any team leaders and we've already lost Hunter and Santana'll probably go. I think we're gonna be lucky to get above .500 this year. Also lost Sylvia, a good number three picture and I forget who else.

Originally Posted By: K Dawg
Also lost Sylvia, a good number three picture and I forget who else.

was never really a fan of the guy. But he did help put up a few numbers for the twins in the years that he was here helping us out.

Before I rip the Twins, I'd have to ask myself, "Is this the Twins fault?" Consider this, if you were only arbitration eligible, would you sign a long term contract? First, if you are going to arbitration, you are usually trying to decide on only the next year. In arbitration, the arbitrator will decide on the owner's offer or the player's offer. No middle ground. This is the club's last chance to get the most value out of a player before he hits the inflated free agent market. This is the player's last chance to get a few extra dollars before the team's rights to him expire. If I were player x, I would not want to sign a long term contract while I was still under the influence of his original team. Why sign a three or four year deal at arbitration prices when you can freely explore your options and get more teams into the mix. Player x's postion is still weak in arbitration and even if he wins, he may still be underpaid. now, the true interest in player x will begin. Do you feel confident enough in his ablilities and durability to try to seal him up with a long term deal, or do you let him get closer to free agency and let the market help you decide whether or not you can afford him?

While I agree somewhat, it goes both ways. For some players, securing a decent 4 year contract after a good year with their club, means they'll get more $$$ than they would if they never have that kind of year again and end up on the free agent market. For the Twins, arbitration is the only way for us to secure some of our talent for a few extra years before it gets too expensive

Originally Posted By: Coach1310
For the Twins, arbitration is the only way for us to secure some of our talent for a few extra years before it gets too expensive

I do agree with you here. Might help the team out

What happens if you are that player and you get hurt? They have to think about that too. All contracts in baseball are guaranteed money.

If Morneau waits around till he enters FA to sign a long term deal, he is risking injury and the chance that he doesn't produce. Getting one big multi-year contract no matter what age you are, will set these guys and their families up for life. Year to year is risky for the player.

As far as looking at the Twins side, yes they can pay him year to year by arbitration and likely pay less while he is still eligible, but, it they lock him up a few years into FA, then they will most likely be saving money on him for those years.

I thought the Multi year Multi MILLION DOLLAR offer the Twins made to Morneau similar to the contract offered too and signed by Mauer was more then fair.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
I thought the Multi year Multi MILLION DOLLAR offer the Twins made to Morneau similar to the contract offered too and signed by Mauer was more then fair.

Did they really offer it though? When he signed it, Justin said they didn't. I know there was something in the Pioneer Press recently about Morneau rejecting that offer, but it came from Shooter.(Who knows if it's true confused.gif)

It might have been fair, but he is worth more than that and he knows it. His arbitration numbers were higher than Mauers. Why wouldn't he expect to get more in a multi-year deal?

All factors considered, the Twins would be dumb, again, to wait till the last possible moment and make a half-hearted offer to sign Morneau.

He puts people in the seats. I know he can get hurt, I understand that, but there is no risk without reward.

Would you really like to think about getting a couple of "prospects" like we are for Santana?

I know the Yankees will just sign a check and tell him to write in the number. Also Seattle, Toronto, just about any team would like a power hitting left-handed first basemen that has a good glove and can hit for average -- .275-.310.

He WILL BE GONE if we do not step up to the plate before it is too late.

• 2 weeks later...