• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anybody heading out fishing on Monday? I was thinking of hitting up Lida. maybe F-dog can play hooky from work and go fishing? Anybody interested in joining up?

Originally Posted By: JigginIsLife
who is this invite open to??? anyone??
heck yes!

I'm just seeing what the interest level is like; if no one wants to brave the cold, then I'll stay home. But if a bunch of guys are up for it, I'd like to meet up and cover some ice.

Man sounds like fun, I'd be there but got some stuff going on. Let me know of other days and I'll check my schedule. Cliffy was saying Lida was fun, I havnt had a chance yet this winter. the Perch

all I have are the three days, saturday morning, sunday morning, and all day monday to hit it. Monday looks like the warmest of the three, that's why I picked it.

I would love to join you guys but I dont have any days off until the first week of Feb so I guess I am out. \:\(

Dead: To be honest, you probably know more hot spots on lida than I do. I could shoot you some cords. of some spots I fished a lot last winter and you give them I try. I cant promise anything.

Like I have told you in the past, I fish more on the south side of north lida...as I can get on the lake from private property. The places I spent most of my time last year are north east of the island....lots of little humps surround by deeper water. I would set up in about 12-15 fow...lots of weeds on the bottom and lots of perch....I would get the pike and eyes as they came up to feed.

Take care.

Cliffy

cliffy, you ever hook up with whitefish, redhorse, or drum (sheepshead) through the ice. I've been wanting to fish the south end near where you have fished.

Thanks for the other info, I appreciate it!

I can make it after 12pm; I have a meeting in Fargo at 10am. There are a couple FM'ers from the Crappie forum that are coming up Monday morning to fish Lida as well, I will get contact info for them JP and get it to you. I'll cc you on an email to them. You'll have to emil me so I have your address.

Hey DEAD, where are you guys planning on going on monday. I was out on Clay point again last night and there were plenty of fish but they didn't want to bite. I'd definatly be game for some fishing with people that actually know how to fish... tired of fishing by myself.

Fdog was thinking of hitting up the north end SE of the access. I was kind of hoping to explore the south end a little bit, but am up for anything. I guess it all depends on how cold it is and what the wind is like. If it is nasty out, I'm not planning on moving around a lot.

I'll probably meet up with Fdog after his meeting, likely around noon. The only thing planned so far is that he will call me when he's leaving Fargo. Otherwise things are still wide open. We could meet up at the access if you wanted.

Originally Posted By: DEADhead
cliffy, you ever hook up with whitefish, redhorse, or drum (sheepshead) through the ice. I've been wanting to fish the south end near where you have fished.

Thanks for the other info, I appreciate it!

I once caught a sheepshead during the summer months when I was much, much younger. I still have nightmares of that ugly thing!

I do see whitefish swimming around on my AV when fishing those spot I spoke about. I have heard locals call them Tullibe....I am assuming that is the same as a white fish??? I seem to catch one every winter or so on Lida..I have never targeted them....have no idea how to fish them. I catch a handful of them when I do my LOTW fishing trip each Feb/March. At least they look the same...very strong smelling and make a clicking noise....does this sound right?

tulibee and whitefish are two different species. the survey netting say there are tulibee inthe lake, but a co worker of mine who grew up on the lake claim there are whitefish in there too. I'd like to find out if they're in there. whitefish have a mouth more towards the bottom of the head, more like a sucker's. Tulibee mouth's are more liek a trouts. both species of fish are noted as having an "odor", but are delicious smoked.

you usually catch them with a flasher or spoon, with a small jig dropper (about a foot long) tipped with waxie or minnow head.

right I beleve that that is a tulibee, the whitefish has a more widened out body and like dead said a more pointed, trout like mouth.

--im thinkin of comming out there tomorow, but i wont be able to make it until later, and i got a suitcase style so im not quite as mobile as you guy are, are you thinking about moving around a lot??

A tullibee is a grown up cisco, and they basically live in deeper lakes and cooler (more northern) lakes. The only way you can tell really is by their mouths I was told, and the only real lakes in Minnesota that have whitefish are your Namakan, Kabetogama, Crane, Rainy, LOTW, border BWCA lakes, and I am not totally sure but I believe Vermillion, because whitefish need even more oxygen and cooler waters to thrive than Tullibee. Both tulibee and whitefish are like pizza or a nice juicy steak for northerns, muskie and walleyes. Hope that helps ya guys....in the recent Outdoor News, there is a good article how the whole global warming issue will effect the walleye lakes in minnesota with the warming of the waters and dieing off of tulibee and whitefish in central and southern edge of northern minnesota.

Dead, not for sure I can go tomorrow yet; I will let you know if I can. I may have to go look at some cultured stone for the fireplace, and put some financing in place for the new sled \:D I will be going to pick up Tuesday. I know Kywest was on some pannies, so maybe you two can hook up. I'll try to make it if I can.

I'm still playing it by ear tomorrow, as far as the weather is concerned. updated forecast has the high bumped from -4 to 0 for a high, but the winds now increased to 6-9 mph. If I have to fish out of the portable for the day, and there's a moderate wind and temps are still below zero by noon, I'm staying in. I'll post on here by noon if I'm going out or not. I don't feel like freezing my icicles off...

Originally Posted By: Bluegill1510
A tullibee is a grown up cisco, and they basically live in deeper lakes and cooler (more northern) lakes. The only way you can tell really is by their mouths I was told, and the only real lakes in Minnesota that have whitefish are your Namakan, Kabetogama, Crane, Rainy, LOTW, border BWCA lakes, and I am not totally sure but I believe Vermillion

A cisco is a tullibee is a lake herring. They are all the same fish, and there is no difference in name whether they are an adult or juvenile fish. Like Bluegill1510 mentioned, they are present in many lakes in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (Burntside, Vermillion, Snow Bank, etc.) and in lakes of the Upper Mississippi River drainage (for example Ball Club, Cass, Leech, and Ten Mile).

There was also some discussion made about climate change and tullibee and whitefish dieoffs in the Downer Moose sighting post from earlier in the week.

There is also a sizeable population of Whiteys in the Whitefish Chain (go figuire) down by my neck of the woods too. I saw several dandies last year on the AV while Laker fishing in January. I also know a buddy who used to spear several on Lower Whitefish too. In my opinion they are definately a notch above a tulibee in the smoker though.

Hey dead, I was out on Lida again tonight and caught some real nice crappies. Got about a dozen of them over the 11 in minimum. Had something really big too, set the hook and felt like a tree. Started reeling in and then it took off..... broke my line...:( I am planning on heading out there early tomorrow and seeing how it goes.

thanks for the update kywest. I hate when you tie into a nice one and it breaks off. I like to get at least a visual, not knowing what it was gets my imagination worked up. I don't care if I don't land the thing, at least a glimpse is good enough for me ;\)