• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The Extravaganza is a go!

It's official, the sheriff's dept O.K.'d it today, go to icefishing.org to see the latest press release. 17 inches of ice.

Walleyedan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• walleyedan

• Sportland_Bait

• mrklean

• brainerdwalleye

So where can I meet you Saturday? Walleydan, Other then on the ice . What location?

how about if you want to drill holes??

when and where do we have to meet at what time??

what do we get??

If you want to drill holes, go to the jaycees web site and follow the links to volunteer. You have to prearrange that you will be out there, they keep the names and if you are not on the list the chances are good that you won't be able to help and get ticket. Ihave done it in years past and it is a good time. See you out there.

I will be on the ice Saturday and we will have the Arctic Armor fish house loaded with jackets, bibs, gloves, hats, pre-rigged tip-ups and rods and reels. And some McDonalds Meats jerky and sticks. You'll find us!

See ya there Rooster,

Walleye

I have been doing some searching. those 'pout where do they hang out. Is 40 to 50 feet to deep?

Depending on the time of day typically. I would say from noon to three, they will be in 60'. Glow and go!

Walleyedan

Thanks again for the tidbits Dan! Hope to catch up with ya on

the lake next weekend.

ROOSTER

A quick note that may effect some regarding vehicles on the lake during the Extravaganza. The sheriff stated yesterday to us (the Jaycees)that the Hole in the Day Bay access will be 100 percent closed. This means trucks, cars, snowmobiles, ATV's etc as of 10:00pm on Friday, the 25th. Other Access such as Grandview and Koobs(sp?) Will be monitored by Nisswa/Cass County/Lakeshore departments. They said they will not allow vehicle traffic off of these but defined that as trucks & cars. Sounded like ATV's would be OK but if it gets crazy, they will close them completely. A big concern is the possibility of new ice heaves with as fast as the ice is growing. They could pop up anywhere real fast, so be careful out there. My suggestion, Use the parking & shuttles. It's actually pretty efficient and you don't have to worry about how to get your prize off the ice. This year, the prizes are being distributed at Fleet Fram follwoing the contest and Sunday till 1:00. Good luck everyone!

dan, it was. all i said was s&w was open 24 hrs & the school choir was selling brats & hot chocolate. didnt think i was stepping on any toes.

I liked the monopolizer comment, that was good. If I'm hungry, maybe I'll do a brat and a bag of minnows. I won't eat the minnows. Even though we are no longer operating out of S&W, I still will say that nobody will compete with their bait or hours, nobody.

Walleyedan

thanks dan. did you say you wont eat minnows or you havent eaten minnows? ever, come on you can tell..

Oh, I've eaten them. But not just on your ordinary everyday, day. But then again the extravaganza isn't just your ordinary day.....we'll see. Probably just a brat though.

Walleyedan

Hi Dan, I'd have to say our minnows are some of the best but I am a little biased. I think both shops in the area do a great job. I have to give the girls credit down there they really put in their time. You never know someday we might merge. In this business the changes just keep happening, I have a good 30 years left to see the differences. Good luck at the contest. Are you going to be fishing this year or selling suits? My guess is a 5.22 lb walleye- Golden shiner.

Jason Erlandson

Yeah, I would say you are a little biased, but it's your job and your shop you better believe in what you've got. I realize the hours it takes to run a bait shop, that is why I'm not running one. It's a tough business. I have caught fish on the minnows in your Dad's shop and I have caught fish from minnows at "The Hot Spot", but my point is that when a fisherman needs bait at 5:00 a.m., S&W is open with what you need as far as bait. It's hard to find that anywhere (unless you are at a 24 hour gas station). You are right on, as far as the ever-changing business that we are in. I am pretty sure that NONE of us know how long we have in our own particular business' (or our lives in general), but I think "a day at a time" might be my approach. For now, I better get my furnace fixed or I might not make it another hour. I will be fishing when the gun goes off, but selling some things before hand. Thanks for your guess, the winning prize package is a lifetime supply of S&W minnows (just kidding!!).

Stay warm and keep selling,

Walleyedan

Yeah, At one time we ran those crazy hours. It was really draining. When anglers started tracking us down at home to come in and weigh a fish at 1 am thats when we said enough is enough. We had to balance our business and our family life. I have three nephews and our own son growing up in the next few years. If they want to work into the business we will probably expand some how, we'll see what happens. Good luck with the furnace, bad timing for problems with heat. Hope the contest goes good for you and your family. I'll try to figure out what I'll do with all those minnows(ha ha). Have a good one.

Jason Erlandson

MrKlean, we offer free contour maps of the contest area here at the shop. They are pretty popular. Stop in and pick one up anytime we have them sitting on the front counter.

Jason Erlandson

Tickets are available up until the start of the contest.

Jason Erlandson

Good luck to all at the Jaycees Ice fishing Contest. As a Jaycees from the Twin Cities I am missing this great contest. in my 14 years as a Jaycees I have help with many things. But duties calls as I am my youngest daughters basketball coach.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL.

MINNKOTA