• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

taking boat across country

mtrue68

Question

We are moving from Minnesota to the Portland OR area sometime between middle of February and the end of March. We would like to bring our boat out there and I’m wondering if there are other options other than just towing it out there. It's an ’85 18’ Champion fish-n-ski bass boat and our tow vehicle is a S-10 blazer that gets about 10-12 mpg towing the boat. The biggest issue in towing it would be crossing the mountains and the cost of gas.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

4 answers to this question

I know when my sister in law moved back from Buffalo, NY to Stillwater they had enough space in the semi after loading all their belongings to fit a full size truck.

If by chance your going that route, you might want to order the biggest semi truck possible and have it moved inside the semi trailer - it didn't cost them anything extra, their employer picked up the moving tab..

good luck, LB

Considering your boat will fit within the 102" dimension of a semi-trailer, that is the option I would look at.

Moving companies (Van Lines) ship cars, motorcycles, and boats all the time. Your trailer will be secured in the van with ratchet straps and it will not move anywhere.

You could contact any of the moving companies (United, Allied, Mayflower, NorthAmerican) and see what they could do for you.

For a rate check, I would contact NovCo in Elk River. The owner of the company was my neighbor when I was growing up. I used to hunt his parents land.

8 times out of 10, if you have purchased a new boat in MN, it came to that dealer on a NovCo truck. They haul boats only.

I would contact them and see if they run out that way. I know they run the entire country and they have hauled used/private boats before. I have even seen them storing boats at their place, I assume waiting to move out, when they go that direction.

Good Luck..

There is a web site that will put you in contact with transporters of all kind and they will actually place bids on your boat.

Usually they have great prices since it's people already going the same direction or collecting loads for a trip.

I used it several times and it's very useful and economical.