• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gas Cap on old Jiffy Auger leaks

PaulB

Question

Ok, I know there is a vent hole on it, question is, can I get a new cap with out the hole and it will still work? Guess I should have asked at the shop when I got the new filter and gas line. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Hey PaulB,

You need the vent in the cap so there isn't a vacuum in the fuel system. When I forget to open mine, the auger starts running poorly. As soon as I open it - back to normal.

I just picked up new caps for my augers with Tecuseh engines because the old ones were leaking so bad. Not a drop spilled from either auger on a few trips and being jostled quite a bit.

The new ones are ALOT nicer than the old ones, but cost me $10 apiece. Happy to have them though.

You clould make work but you would have to open and close the gas cap which is a real pain.

Like wanderer said get the New black $10 gas cap and be done with it.

I thought I'd read something about a different cap in previous posts, but couldn't remember. I'm curious, how is the new cap different from my old one? I'm certainly willing to spend the $10 so I don't have to worry about the leaks. Can't lay it down right now if the tank is fairly full without worrying about the darn thing dripping.

Yeah, I was the one asking where to get one.

The old caps, at least on mine, were just like tin with the rubber flat washer between the vent screw and cap. The new ones are basically the same tin but have black plastic molded around it with what seems like a better seal on the vent.

The old flat seals squished out and cracked because we all overtighten them. The new ones seem to have the seal (o-ring?)molded into the cap as well so they aren't victims of us. ;\)

At least thats my perception since I haven't really examined them. I just know they work, and much better.

They seem to be available almost everywhere. I got mine at Sportsmans.

Mine has a plastic cap, but I swear the vent is just a hole. Never had any leaking around the cap thru the threads or anything, but a steady drip thru that hole anytime you lay the auger down with more than a 1/3 tank of gas. Well, I'll see what they have - maybe they have 'em at Fleet Farm. But I think I'll be taking this fishing weekend off. -7 and 15 mph winds at Osakis? No thanks.

I need a new cap too. I've got the plastic cap but the o-ring seal is stretched out and doesn't sit flat inside the cap. Sometimes it leaks, sometimes it doesn't....just have to keep taking it off and on until you get lucky. Just found that out last weekend when it was dripping down the fender of my ATV. mad.gif