• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

This is my first year of trying this tourney out. We have been going to the Gull lake one for 5-6 years, and are sick of it. My main question is, Is the parking area near the point of access on the lake? I cant tell from the website. Just wondering how far a guy's gotta hoof it after finding a spot to park. \:D Thanks

Depends on how early you get there to as how far you have to walk. They also have school buses that will shuttle you to and from the ice. From the ice to the event you can jump on a hay wagon!

i will be attending this also, bout how many people usually show up for this?

For the holes is it first come first to choose their holes? or are all holes assigned? It sounds like we can get there and have access to the tourny anytime after 8am.

First come first serve, hopefully it isn't as cold this year. Get out there early to have your pick, then try to stay warm until it starts.

I went last year with 5 friends and none of us even got a bite for the whole 3 hours:( Also they drilled all the holes the night before so when you get there every hole is frozen over anywhere from 4-6 inches of ice.They make you chisel out your own hole too:( not fun!It was so cold that the whole time fishing your constantly scooping ice from your hole.I say bring a large chisel and goodluck!I'm not going back.

Originally Posted By: wlmrs
I went last year with 5 friends and none of us even got a bite for the whole 3 hours:( Also they drilled all the holes the night before so when you get there every hole is frozen over anywhere from 4-6 inches of ice.They make you chisel out your own hole too:( not fun!It was so cold that the whole time fishing your constantly scooping ice from your hole.I say bring a large chisel and goodluck!I'm not going back.

I can't wait

Last year attracted about 3500 participants. Weather can be a key factor. If it's in the 20's or better with no wind, you may expect close to 4000. Holes will be drilled starting at Noon the day before, so yes, bring a good chisel. Parking is not too far, and there is good shuttle service to the lake, and from shore to the site. It is a great event that is very well organized and a lot of fun to attend. Remember there are also raffle tickets available if you can't make it to participate on the ice.

good luck and good fishing!

Most people are willing to let you use their chisel once they're done, just don't drop it down the hole. A coffee can with some hot coals next to your hole keep them from skimming over. Otherwise an insulated tip-up with a shiner is a good choice, just to kick back and enjoy.

I've fished it 4 years and haven't gotten a bite. Most years right before shut down the big winners come in. Good luck

I've done it twice. Its quite the experience! everyones got to do it at least once, Its a lot more fun with friends, key factor is the weather. I dont think I will go back, never got a bite

pretty much luck on these kind of things isn't it? i mean 3500 people fishing a what 100yard x 100 yard square. I am assuming it would be better to be along the perimeter rather than in the middle, but maybe it doens't matter with that many angler.s

All of the above statements have been dead on you do have to reopen your holes and how much fun you have is very dependent on the weather and your IQ if its cold dress warm and you will have fun its kinda a no brainer. BUT lets not forget this event is not soley for the purpose of going an catching a fish and winning a prize, IT IS FOR A GOOD CAUSE if you want a prize just go buy one it will be cheaper in the long run. Lets not forget the reason we all get together out there, its a charity event!

Well...i don't think it is cheaper to buy an F-150 than it is to pay the $35 fee, lol.

But i get what you are saying. I am going there to win a prize and if not then no big deal, it will be fun no matter what.

Thanks for the replies, I've been out of town all week. My group is looking forward to the event as the Brainerd one is getting out of control \:o so we decided to do one a little smaller. Another question, are there a few food booths on the lake to get something warm in the belly? I am also wondering what the raffle ticket cost is, doesn't seem to say on the site. Thanks and good luck!

Yes they have food booths on the lake, there is usually kids running around from the HighSchool selling pizza as well. The raffle tickets were $5 each last year if I remember correctly, I would assume tehy will stay the same. The only thing wrong with assuming is you know what the word stands for whistle.gif, and the price will change cry.gif

Raffle tickets are still $5. I already have mine and got the "Simpson's Guarantee" with my purchase:

You are guaranteed to win.

PS: Disclaimer...Guarantee is not a guarantee.

-Hossienda

• 3 weeks later...

Not to mention the @!#@!** wind chill. They are calling for winds to 25 gusting to 45mph. have fished it for 5yrs now and am thinking I might just have to miss this one, but on the other hand if a lot of people don't go it will be easier to win a prize whistle.gif Who knows, might have to stick it out even though. definitly get in on the raffle tickets for sure.

Well since I already have the ticket I'm going. Everyone else may as well just stay home!! Better odds that way. Probably just gonna have to use a tip up and try to stay warm.

Hey Nick,

Mike does not have any more available. However you can stop by Christopherson's on Friday and pick some up. The Sertoma guys will be selling them there that afternoon.

-Hossienda

With highs in the single digits below zero, a stiff breeze blowing from the NW at 15-20 mph, you better bring the auger. The last time we fished this contest, we had the same weather conditions and you couldn't find a hole with less than 6" ice covering it. Minnesota nice or not, don't expect somebody to just hand over their chisel because you asked nicely. Have fun, dress warm and defend your castle!

You can't bring augers, it's in the rules. Chisel is your only option. Coffee can and charcoal is coming with for sure this year.

Nope augers are def out of the question I sent this e-mail to the tourney and got this response.

Sorry but hand augers are not allowed either. We have discussed this in the past and decided to keep it this way to prevent people from drilling and using a completely new hole.

Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:06 AM

To: [email protected]

Subject: use of auger

This will be my 1st time at this tourney, I noticed that we cannot use an auger to bust out the holes. I am just curious if you would reconsider the use of a hand auger if we get a cold snap like we did this past weekend? From 3am Saturday to 11am Saturday my holes froze down with 8” of ice! Just want to know if I should even try to bring my hand auger to just go with a chisel?

Thanks

I am def going to go but I am also thinking that I may as well just leave my heater at home and go with charcoal and a coffee can as others have mentioned.

Don’t they know that when it gets that cold at night the hole freezes in not only on the top but in from the sides as well? When using a chisel it’s easier to start from scratch, that’s what we’ve had to do the past few years. If you start to chop out an existing hole you break water about 6” down and then you either fish out of a hole the size of a pop can or you try to clean out the sides and splash water all over pant legs. Sure the chopping is fine for a group of guys going out there, one hole a guy doesn’t hurt. How about a Dad and a couple kids? Absolutely pointless! I understand it’s a fund raiser but if the people running the event can’t cater to the fisherman any better than this, count me out and the 12 people I’ve gone with for the past 4 years. They need to get their act together or I’m afraid they’re going to start losing a lot more of the participants.

I heard it only takes an hour or two to drill the holes, so why don’t they drill them in the morning before the thing starts?

I'm not trying to be negative, I just think they need to hear that people are upset.

Na, it won't deter people, it will just weed out the weak! Get a 52" chisel bar and bust the darn hole out. If you and 12 other people don't go because of this count my odds of winning a prize as going up.

I do agree that the holes should be drilled the morning of, but maybe it is tradition to have people chiseling out their own holes. I personally am looking forward to busting out an ice hole when I get there in -2 temps. It makes me feel a little more Minnesotan.

Last year was very cold, lots of ice to chisel through, I never seen one person whine (PigEyed) about it. We even chisled out 4 holes for two ladies in their 60's.

It's part of the deal, if you don't like it, stay on the porch puppy!!!

Fisherman have a choice to come to this event. What about the others that have to work the event or the vendors that are trying to sell their product. Or the people that are traveling in horrible conditions to get to the event. I understand the cold weather, but when you have a blizzard warning and wind chills around -45 doesn't seem like another option might be best for all.

Don't think of only of yourselves.

Would you be willing to lose a toe, finger or a ear for a fishing tourney? Yes it is for charity, but what about holding a indoor raffle with people that purchased a ticket. You have about the same chance at winning the truck.

I'm not trying to put anyone down, but just asking to think of others when a decision is made.

Have fun and be safe!