• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Heading up to stay at my relative's place this weekend, south shore of the north end. Just wondering about ice conditions and if anyone else is having success up there. Thanks

There are sunfish to be had, but you will compete with 100+ people for them. If you get out really early you will have your best bet because most of the people don't get to the lake until 8:00 or so... I would like to add, If you are looking for walleyes, try around the point in the bigger area of the lake. We've been having some success there, not in the actual north bay. Good Luck

Thanks Donk. Knowing how cold it's supposed to be this weekend, might cut down on the fishermen a little. I may try some right in front of the cabin, see what's going on. I can always move later. About how much ice are you seeing up there?

Thanks for feed back,

I alos am thinking of running up this weekend. Could use a little help.

Are the sunnies on North end? Big I'll Bet

Any Crappies?

How thick is ice?

This would help me a ton.

I appreciate it.

Good to finally see some Osakis Posts.

The ice is really spotty, but in the narrows area I'd say it's 12-16. Trucks & big houses all over a 300-400 yard wide area.

I pulled my house off of there. I wasn't fishing panfish, but I've heard of sunfish, heard no crappie reports. Lots of small northerns from the weedlines out to almost 20'.

Anybody getting any walleyes over your way? I heard it was starting to slow down but i'm just checking in?

I was up last weekend in the COLD weather. We did pretty well considering. We holed 16 eyes keeping 10. Lost a few others at the holes. Avg was 16". Nothing over 18". Off the points on the North end, 45-50 fow.

Heading back up tomorrow to give it another go. FYI I measured 18 in of ice on Sat night and it's had to of gotten better this last week.

Heading up this weekend, having never fished this lake, and in looking at the DNR lake map it's fairly obvious the areas to target for Walleye. My question; are these areas being pounded by the Sheeple and in anyone's opinion would it be better to distance ones self from the crowds for better success?

Any info on bait shops and lake access for the north side would also be appreciated. (will be coming up 94 from Monticello area)

Don't know of any bait shops but I know directions to North end access.

Take the Osakis exit, go right. Stay straight on 27E.Go about 3 miles and take a Left on CR 37. Go about 2 miles and take a left on 141st ave immediately after the cemetary on the left hand side. Before you get to the dirt road, take a left at the public access sign.(there will be a public access signs from there).

Good luck! Was up last weekend as well with little success. Tried everything in my tackle box, 35-50 fow. Had fish move through all day long but only got a few to bite. 3 eyes and a few crappies moved through at night.

Thanks for the directions Lil Ho! Hopefully the weather change this weekend will improve the action.

With 1,400 views (and only 8 posts) the topic is of great interest to a lot of people, there has to be someone out there with some bait shop information. Or is everyone crossing their arms and closing their mouths to keep outsiders off of "their lake"?

There are two "bait shops" in town. Fisherman's Corner and The General Store. You can also find some bait at the local convenience store on the west side of town. I'm not sure about the north end of the lake. Perhaps Head of the Lakes may have bait, but I don't know.

Bob

Dub, if you turn west into town on the main drag, you can find fishermans corner (log siding small shop...) or there is also the general store-- i think they have bait still. norm at fishermans corner should have some info on the bite as well.

good luck and good fishing.

Norm sold the Corner last year. I haven't had the opportunity to spend much time chatting with the new owners so I can't speak about them.

Bob

I believe Head of the Lakes still sells bait, that's pretty much the only option on the North end. I used to buy it there occasionally, haven't in a few years. I usually buy it in town (LP) because I'm not sure if they'll be open when I decide to go fishing.

All of the places mentioned in Osakis will have bait. The two actual shops will have varying amounts of tackle. I haven't been in the Fishermen's Corner in a few years either so can't attest to the new ownership either. I believe you scoop your own minnows at the gas station.

I'm guessing the shortage of Shiners includes the Alexandria area as well right eek.gif? Thanks for all the info to this point everyone, I'm pumped to get up there and spend some quiet time on the ice!

VERY slow weekend :(!! We arrived Thursday night and immediately laid into two nice eyes above the slot. After that the only action was on 11" crappie and the Game Warden showing up to checking our licenses and catch legitimacy. Nice area, decent traffic on the lake but not much in the way of fish. Thanks all for the detail and good luck up there cool.gif!

hey out there.does anybody know if there driving out in front of holiday resort.thinking of heading up to try for some crappies.also are there any size to the perch there catching.

I'm quite sure they're driving there now, there's more than 2' of ice on pretty much the whole lake as far as I know.

I've heard some reports of some nice perch being caught, but nothing real consistent.

Was up last friday and had well over 2' of ice everywhere I drilled. I can't believe the houses out there!!

Went deep sea fishing for the first time out of Cape Canaveral (sp) on Thursday. They had Tornados go through the area on Tuesday so it wasn't great fishing. My wife & I did each catch one small red snapper & I got a really small sea bass. The guy right next to me had a 4-5' nurse shark (about 50 pounds) up to the boat, I did too for a while only because it took his bait & swam around my line basically simultaneously. He didn't want it so the mates twisted the hook out with a long gaff. Saw a lot of small snappers caught, about a 30lb. cobia, 2-3 eels, & a few other small odd looking fish. It was a lot of fun even though by their standards about as slow a day as you'll ever have. Was tempted to ask if we could head for the Flemish Cap...

Saw a couple of sea turtles way out in the ocean, that was cool too. My son saw both of them, my daughter was in the cabin both times.

Anyway you can guess that having just got back from a week in Florida I have no Osakis report.

The Kracken roller coaster at SeaWorld was really cool though. It embarrasses the Corkscrew at ValleyFair. Enjoyed the Tower of Terror at MGM as well.

Sunfish Bite on Osakis

Heading up to Osakis on Tuesday the 19th and was wondering if anyone was willing to give any info on the sunfish bite on Osakis in the north end.

Things picked up a little this past weekend with 5 eyes, 2 crappies and a rock bass landed but still pretty quiet out there. Marked tons of fish but all were pretty tight lipped, the ones that did bite were very light and non committed which resulted in many spit outs. Gave the freshwater shrimp a whirl which produced the two crappies and the rock bass.