• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Introduction.. & Ochotto Lake / Pelican Lake near Avon

AvonAngler

Hello...

I'm brand new to the forums here and wanted to say how great it is to have a place for local folks to share!

I moved to Avon in April of 2007 as my wife wanted to move back home and start a business in Avon. Before being in MN I spent most of my life in Oregon. Needless to say, its much different kind of fishing that I'm used to. This last summer I bought a boat and fished four days a week on Lower Spunk behind my house. I had some success for bass and northerns and have learned a bunch about fishing in the summer here.

So now I just got a start on most of my ice fishing equipment and have been out twice now on Lower Spunk. Both outtings only produced one OK sized northern.

Introductions aside, I wanted to ask if anyone here knows anything about Ochotto Lake or Pelican Lake. I'm getting ready to try a different lake out this afternoon and over the next week and wondered if anyone could share and points about either of these lakes?

Thanks!

Bryan

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Welcome to Fishing Minnesota and the St Cloud area!

I haven't fished either of the two lakes you mentioned. Upper and lower spunck are good panfish and northern lakes. Upper has also has a good population of walleyes. They can be tough to pattern at times though. Lots of good lakes in the area. Either pick up the area lakemap book or check out prospective lake on the DNR lakefinder site for an idea of what fishing on each lake.

Good Luck!

Welcome to the area.

Ochotto like lower spunk will put out a fair number of northerns pretty much anywhere you can find a weedline or 10-20 feet of water. Once in a while you can pull out a few nice crappies but it's either they bite well or they don't bite at all. As far as Pelican goes, never fished it but good luck.

Welcome to the Avon area.

I'm also from Avon and new to this forum. I have lived in the area my whole life. As for ice fishing Lower Spunk the best action is on the south end (you will see all the houses). I have caught crappies, sunnies and a few pike on every trip out. You will have to pick through them but I have kids and qty more than quality is what I'm looking for when out with the kids. Plan red hook and minnow for the crappies and pike. Glow hooks in green or red have done good in the dark. Small green colored panfish jig tipped with a wax worm for the sunnies. Bets thing about Lower is you can catch all three in the same area.

As for Pelican I have had best luck on the east side. Fish for sunnies near the weedline and fish for the crappies out deeper. I have had the best luck in the 25ft range just before dark. Glow hooks seem to work best. Lots of pike in the lake and you should be able to find them along any weedline.

Ochotto I have only fished a few times for crappies. The best place I have found for the crappies is east of the access in the middle of the lake.

Hope this will help a little and good luck!

Where is the access on lower spunk? Also what are the ice conditions are they driving out there? Could you point me in the direction of some weedlines, ive never fished it before? Thanks

Access is on the south shore on CR-54 on the RH side if you are going west.

Not sure of the ice conditions but have noticed a few have driven out in the last week. If you do decide to drive out just keep in mind that a creek runs into Lower to the east of the access.

You can find some nice weedlines right out from the access if the weeds are still there. Look for some old spearing holes and you will know you are close and work out from there. I have had the best luck fishing on the outside of everyone else.

If I get out this week I will let you know on the conditions.

Good Luck!

If you get sick of the spunks and pelican you can always try Two Rivers too. Little more of a pain because they have the access on the West side (near albany) but its got some good walleyes and pike in it. Crappies have always been good but lately have been real small.

Thanks for the welcome and for the tips everyone! My newness to the ice showed this last weekend as I spent saturday out on Lower Spunk in the middle of all the other houses out there and not a thing! I then spent sunday roaming around on Ochotto and again not a thing! I fished both these lakes in the summer and have done well....I just have not got the knack for the ice yet! I will keep trying and think my bait/jig presentation needs some help.

If anyone in Avon is going out this next weekend and would not mind some company, let me know.....I'm definitly ready to learn from someone with more experience on the ice than I have!

As for the question of driving on Lower Spunk...right from the access to the house farm you can see a road where people have been driving out there. Saturday there were several full size trucks out there. I guess even though I've seen them out there, I'd still be too chicken to drive out there myself as the sounds of the ice cracking and popping scare the [PoorWordUsage] out of me at this point.

I was out on lower today for awhile then went to upper. Stayed to the left of the houses found a few schools but couldnt get them to bite, they were very picky got one, then not a thing on upper, marked a few towards night but no takers. Anyone else have the same problems, lots of lookers but no takers?

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I really had to work the fish I caught last night. Ended up catching several but they were just stacked underneath me. The bite got better just before I had to leave.