• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

st.cloud bait stores ha ha ha..

talltines

stopped by tackle box and by the bait den. Glad to be a milacs and brainard area fisherman. don't even know where to start, bait selection, bait quality, tackle selection, very sub-par I would have to say. Bait den counted one at a time my dozen shiners, 12 shiners. They were the river run ones too, not the arkansas,or goldens. when I got to bj's on clearwater lake 10 of the 12 were floating belly up in my oxygen bag NICE. Got some arkansas from bj's god haelth but small. S&W bait in brainard/nisswa and lundeens onamia top notch bait.

Sorry to hear that, thats why you gotta go to scheels to get bait, very cheap and it will last very happy with what i have gotten there, when scheels says a dozen shinners its a bakers dozen and then some.

mrklean, I read that on here a few weeks ago. I didn't think to go there. Do they carry golden,or arkansas shiners? I really don't fish confidently with them river run shiners[skinny and look like a carp/shiner] If I'm through town for fishing again this year I will go to Scheels. Thanx for the advise.

I guess i dont know the differences between the shinners but the ones i got from them earlier this year were pretty good sized and lasted

huge difference between the river runs versus the goldens and arkansas. River run shiners are the rough fish of the three. The difference between the arks. and goldens is pretty much color, the goldens are golden and the arks. are silver. I prefer to use the goldens, but I have no problems with the arks. if that is all that is available. Time on the water has lead me to this opinion. Buddies I fish with feel the same.

I think you should do more research. There are no Arks in Scheels

or the Bait Den.All this bait comes from the same wholesaler and

are wild caught Mn shinners Not Arks. Dist.from the same bait system.Arks are not legal in Mn.But you guys make for some intresting reading.

Thanks for the correction, i really had no idea what they were, i just guessed off of what he said.

jimbo, since you should be schooled on this subject. Can you tell me what you would call the good looking shiners with the smaller more uniform scales that resemble the goldin shiners? I have been told they are called arkansas. If they are illegal, when did this take place? River run, goldens,and arkansas are the three names I have been told. I used these same names for shiners at bait stores for years, never was corrected I guess. But my opinion holds in regardes to selection, quantity, and quality. So that was you who counted out my twelve river run shiners that didn't last a twenty minute jont to clearwater lake.

Hey have you been out to clearlake recently? Hows the fishing been I havent had a chance to get out there but I plan to soon.

according to my sources, shiners are hard to come by this year...scheels is likely able to get around that issue because of their influence and ability to pay a premium price to keep their customers happy (who on a yearly basis make a lot more than just bait purchases)

it is no secret the Bait Den is chincy with what they give you. It will hurt them in the long run.

I wish that the minnow people would show the employees how to serve bait, i cant count how many times the person working would actually count a dozen minnows for 5 bucks, these employees need to be enlighten on how to scoop minnows. Just my 2 cents. Prince's bait on 169 is by far the best bait shop i have ever seen.

mrklean, no need to thank jimbo for the correction on the shiner thing. Jimbo needs to go back to bait store ownership school. The three shiners I was talking about are exactly as I stated. The golden, arkansas, and the silver(river run). The silver being the slender rough looking one, used for northern fishing. Golden and arkansas are better for walleye fishing. So does scheels have the arkansas? Jimbo, I did my research so you are corrected for correcting me. Time for you to learn a little bit about what you are trying to sell. For all the competition you have in the area and being a new owner of a bait store you will not last with the info you give and the chincy hand counting out 12 shiners COME ON.

haha i have no clue what they have, im stayin out of this one now haha all i know is i was pretty pleased with what i got, granted it is very hard to keep shinners a live with out some type of bucket aerator

i had some shiners in my bucket for three weeks, pretty surprised. they were in there with a ton of fatheads also. kept em in my vehicle until it would skim up then bring em inside overnight to warm up a bit. change the water often with very cold non-chlorinated water.

I have always had a problem keeping shinners and chubs alive very long, i keep them in cold temps my crappie and fat heads i can keep alive forever it seems never have problems with them.

The large arkansas shiners that you are talking about were made illegal to import into the state of minnesota this year as a part of the exotic species legislation to the best of my knowledge,

I have found the arkansas in various bait stores, mostly up north, but also in st.cloud area. Have no idea at this point, getting conflicting info on the new laws. I do know they are still being sold and I'm happy about that.

I've had a nice shiner in my aquarium since Jan. 07. It's only a 10 gallon and I have a few tetras besides. He's about 6" long now and over an inch tall. I had him and 3 others left over after an outing and tossed them in there. The others died during the summer but he thrived on. Plannin on using him this Monday....

Anyone ever get bait from the twin pines gas station/store on HWY 10 in rice? This is the closest place I know to my house with live bait and I was curious about the place. No one has commented on it -- any thoughts?

Have a good one!

have only picked up a couple things of euro larvae there and was happy with the quantity, quality and price!

i used to get bait there all the time when i lived in st cloud they usually give ya way more minnows then you could use a dozen was like 2 or 3 it seemed ususally its just one of the girls workin that help ya and they dont even want to touch um he he

Shiners are in great abundance up on LOW. They are so thick this year that they are keeping some parts of the river open as of 3 weeks ago.

I apologize for getting off subject but I really like the signiture, Sartell Angler. I would go knowing there wasn't a single duck left in the state if I could go with the hound.

Not to start another argument or maybe I read something wrong but I did a web search on ARKANSAS SHINERS and from what I gathered from a few DNR type websites is that the GOLDEN and ARKANSAS shiner are the same minnow scientific name is Notemigonus crysoleucas. So I don't believe the Arkansas shiner is illegal most people in Minnesota know it as a golden shiner. Do a search for yourself if you don't believe just my .02.

Originally Posted By: fishgutz77
I apologize for getting off subject but I really like the signiture, Sartell Angler. I would go knowing there wasn't a single duck left in the state if I could go with the hound.

thanks fishgutz--if you're a duck hunter and haven't read Gordon MacQuarrie's "Stories of the Old Duck Hunter" trilogy you are missing out! Am re-reading it again and it is really the next best thing to actually being out in the blind.