• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

webcam/ servelliance camera

eyemaster

Question

I am having problems with vandalism/damage at my land. I want to put up a camera or survelliance system. Does anyone have any suggestions?

7 answers to this question

I have been thinking of doing something similar to this for a different problem. I know of a guy that bought a game trail camera for this purpose, but I would think if the bad guys found it, they would take it. I know there are surveilance cameras on the market for less than $1000 (even close to $100), but you need a way of recording the video. I suppose there are companies that sell a total package, but I was wondering if a guy could recycle some computers to use for the storage device If there were nothing on the system except windows and a recording software, I would imagine one could get quite a few hours on a decent harddrive.

Has anybody done this.... recycle an old computer to be used for video purposes?

I had an issue at my house last year. I bought a set of 4 cameras with IR, they are wireless, and I have a recorder. I can record 3 weeks at good resolution and color, and they can be set as motion control by the software.

Best part is if somebody takes the cameras, they still get recorded and so all their actions.

I believe it cost me around $ 600 alltogether

You can buy a trail camera but get one with IR, not the flash and hide it very well.

where did you get the system at? How clear is it? How far does the average camera go? I need something that will go approx 250-300 feet. Is there a store in the Metro area that I can go to for these systems, or did you buy yours on line?

Thanks

I bought everything online, actually on Ebay. They were separate units (cameras and receiver, then recorder).

They do a great job up to 100 ft if you have to recognize somebody's face, then they get a little fuzzy.

There are some cheap options for ya.

First, I bought a set of IR cameras from Wal-fart, which comes with long wire and a monitor with inputs and RCA outputs. They also come with nice stickers to place on your front door window and other windows around your house to warn people about the surveillance cameras. I have camera feed's running to a secret control area, hooked up to a digital recorder and have a motion activated sensor from Menards, that powers up every thing when something comes by motion senor. Basically, when I leave house over night or on Vacation, I turn the digital recording system. Other than that, I leave camera system on all the time, to be able to look at front door or when motion system sounds. With digital recorder, camera’s and sensors, it came up to around $200. The motion device from Menards also sounds a large beep when activated, which is nice because of another feature I added. I bought one of the multi hub VHS modulators and ran the camera RCA’s out feed to this and then it splits video feed to the big screen in living room and my wall mount TV in master bedroom. You just need to run long RCA cables to rooms. The camera system has a setting to switch from each camera, so when beep sounds, I go to video input 2 on either my living room TV or bedroom TV and watch what is triggering the motion sensor. I added a third camera this spring so I now cover South (front), Northeast corner and Northwest corner. These are the areas of my house, which I want to watch. The camera systems at Wal-fart can be upgraded with more cameras.

At Wal-fart, they also have some upgraded camera systems since I purchased mine. Better IR, motion built in and wireless. You will pay some more, but not much.

The last option I have for you is Radio Shack. For around a $100 bucks, they have a 4 or 5 pack of dummy cameras and a bunch of stickers. Just install mount them and put stickers up. Make sure to place them up high and out in plan site and this will work great for detouring would be thieves.

I placed all my cameras out in plan view. When someone walks to my front door, they read sign/sticker and look around to find a camera pointing right at them from about 16’ in the air. I think this has helped my live a “crime violation” free last 3 years. Throw in the gun range I have (I all ways like to fire off rounds), motion sensors lighting and window sensor alarms, I think I have most all of the corners marked.

Now if you want to get high tech, they have web cams out there that work threw the phone line and satellite. They will give a remote feed to the location you are at (any where in the world, as long as you have power, computer or phone line. This costs some bucks and you would need to have access to a computer. My boss uses this type of system to monitor the temp in his cabin and the cabin it self up north. It also alerts him by phone (cell), when the temp drops below a certain point. Fun stuff!

Good luck!!!

Excellent system Shack,

You and other people have mentioned a digital recorder. Could you explain exactly what that is? I am thinking it is a DVD recorder deck with HDD capabilities that is a cross between a TiVo system and a VCR recorder. If that is the case, how do you recycle the footage on the drive when it is full? Or... is a digital recorder something that is made exactly for this purpose. I want something that is constantly recording and erasing old footage to make room for the new, unless I stop it to view something. Or... does your motion sensor keep the recorded footage to a manageable level?

Thanks for sharing such a cool system.

At this point, I do not want to divulge my secrete, but it could consists of a DVD-RW CD or computer and software. If you contact a good rep at Radio Shack and do some internet searching, you will find out how to do this.

Good luck!!