• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I will be fishing it... hopefully i will walk away with something, at least a give away. should be a fun time

TO - are you doing any raffles or give aways at the tournament.

i wouldnt mind going but at 30.00 pre entry and 40.00 dollars the day of it is a little too steep for me

Information about the tournament is available on MSU's website under "Events". The tournament is titled "The Big Bobber".

well i broke down and bought 2 tickets for my son and i!!!!!!!!!!!!! i figured what the hay its only money \:\)

Anybody else Going? Just bought my ticket. Better hurry if you still want to get one for $30.00

Jim

I will be there. The prizes are spread out from biggest ($2500 cash) to the 100th biggest ($1000 cash). If you fish and think you can catch one in the top 100 then your $30 is worth it. I just bought my ticket at the BOBBER SHOP in Mankato. I thought I heard of a 3 day guided trip to Rainy Lake for 2, fish traps, augers, vexilars, etc. Very nice prizes. I am excited. Fish that weigh the same are going to be placed based on time of entry getting the higher place. One prize per entry, one hole per ticket. If you catch a 15 ounce fish and then 20 mins later catch a 1.5 lb fish and you weight that fish, then that will take your position and the smaller fish will be dumped. Fun with the places always changing. You CAN NOT fish inside any sort of shelter. All fishermen have to fish outside on the ice. All buckets, equipment, etc will be inspected before entry to the designated area. All holes will be pre drilled. You cant enter the area with out a ticket. There will be 100+ MSU athletes on the ice monitoring the event. I also saw that lie detector tests may have to be taken if there is any suspition to cheating. With over 100 athletes monitoring and other people all over the ice, every fish actually caught will not go un noticed, every one around the angler catching a fish will notice. If you plan on trying to cheat your tournament is at Hiniker pond. Have fun I will.

Also there will be food and drink served on the ice!!!

Im fishing in the tournament sun. I was out there sun and got the general area. Off the boat ramp at the resort is a tent and the guy at the resort said the fishing area will probably be to the left of the tent. fished for about 90 min and caught 1 nice bluegill, hope I get one that size next sun. Im heading to brainerd fri. for the extravaganza sat., looking forward to both days on the ice.

How did you all do? It was a spectacular day to be on the ice.

The tourny was alot of fun. For those of you the wern't there. Their was only 96 fish caught. Most of the fish were caught right away within the first 45 min. A 1.36lb bass took home the big money. As for my, Tried about everything. Marked 2 fish all day. My one and only .26 lb sunnie caught at 2:54, was good enough for 76th.

Great event and a big Congrates to MSU Atletics and all the sponsers involved. Things really seemed to run smooth. Looking forward to it again in the future.

I was there as well and caught one sunnie that weighed in at .28 lbs in the first half hour which got me 61st ....It was fun, wish more fish would have been caught though...

I was on the lake Sunday, but not part of the contest. Is it just me or has Washington really slowed down this year? We did ok on sunnies early ice, and especially in past years. Now it seems like they are harder to come by. Whats the deal?

i had one bite right away but off it came when reeling it in marked fish thoughout the day but had no takers had fun though

• 2 weeks later...

Why were there prizes left over from the Big Bobber Ice fishing tourney? Someone that did not participate gave me a couple hundred dollar gift cards, that he said were "left over" from the contest. I would have figured that everything donated would have been given away to participants.

Dustin

ok,....I was given 2 $100 gift cards to ballard's resort,....the tickets say Maverick Big Bobber on them. They are from this year. The guy that gave them to me does not fish,... He has property on the lake, and said they were left-overs that were given to them.

oh ok those were not left over prizes they were paper gift cards that came with the welcome bag of goodies that were givin to everyone that entered so yeah they probably had some of those left over but yeah they were not official prizes

I see,...that makes sense. At least it wasn't something that got ripped off, and was being passed around. :-)

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st
    • leech~~
      As I get older it's really not just about sending bullets down range.  Some of it's just the workmanship of the gun and the wow factor. The other two guns I have really wanted which I'll never have now because of their price, is a 8mm Jap Nambu and 9mm German Luger.   Just thought they always looked cool!  
    • jim curlee
      I had a guy hit me with a lightly used 1969 BAR, he wanted $1650 with an older Leupold scope. More than I think they are worth, I made an offer, he declined end of story.   You know if you look at the old brochures, a grade II BAR sold for $250 in the late 60s, $1650 would be a good return on your investment.    Why would anybody want a 50 year old gun, they are heavy, have wood stocks, and blued metal.  I guess mainly to keep their gun safes glued to the floor. lol   You can probably buy a stainless rifle that you never have to clean, with a synthetic stock you never have to refinish, is as light as a feather, and for half as much money, perfect.   I'm too old for a youth gun, although I've shrunk enough that it would probably fit. lol   No Ruger 10/44s.   Jim      

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.