• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cedar ( Scott County )

Anybody have any report info on Cedar in Scott County lately? \:\) Going out tomorrow.

I was out there today! some small crappies and some sunnies but thats about all i didnt stay for the night bite but ill be there tomorrow!

Thanks walleyeslayer18/ I was out on Sat. too and all I got was dink crappies and sunnies, sunnies were boarder line. Out at 10:00am stayed until 10:00pm or so and could have caught dinky crappies all night long, they were like a bunch of little Piranhas. I heard their was a winter kill recently on the walleyes and ect. Sure was nice weather

There was also a summer kill this year with lots and lots of nice walleyes washing up on shore due to the heat and lake of rain. Remember it's not a deep lake 13-14' max

yea and in addition to that there were some tiger muskies washed up on shore also due to the really warm summer... its too bad but i think thats why not a lot of people are fishing it.

I ended up with some small sunnies and small crappies and a few perch but no keepers so we will see if that keeps up.

Originally Posted By: AceintheHole
There was also a summer kill this year with lots and lots of nice walleyes washing up on shore due to the heat and lake of rain. Remember it's not a deep lake 13-14' max

Originally Posted By: walleyeslayer18
yea and in addition to that there were some tiger muskies washed up on shore also due to the really warm summer... its too bad but i think thats why not a lot of people are fishing it.

I ended up with some small sunnies and small crappies and a few perch but no keepers so we will see if that keeps up.

THAT IS TOO BAD!! all them dead fish, maybe they should dredge a deeper hole in that lake if they want to spend the $$$ to stock it.

It will rebound might take a few years but it will come back. Just have to give it a break for a while

i caught a HUGE perch in there a couple winters ago...i heard lately the perch numbers have fell off.

Wonder if turning the areators on last summer would have helped? Fished Cedar for 15 years and the fishing hasn't been great since 3-4 years ago when the sunnies were nice. One of the big Minnesota fishing magazines called it one of the best panfish lakes in the South Metro, the lake got hit hard. Most summers some crappies perish from the summer kill but this is a first for the eyes and muskies that I've heard of. Several years ago the lake had a full winter kill but since the areators have been used haven't heard of any fish dieing in the winter months.

The lake is very fertil and is stocked yearly with eye's and I think every other year with muskies. My Dads live a couple miles from the lake for 20 years now and haved fished it a lot.

Best eye's have been 7,8.5, and a 9 pounder but we snapped off on eye's that would have gone 10+ pounds. The best action for eye's is early ice before trucks drive on late at night with all the lights off. Heard of eye's in there being caught up to 12 pounds. The year of the winter kill tons of huge eye's washed up on the south shore.

Seeing a few more houses out there lately but not like in the years past. It looks like there all on Carls!

Originally Posted By: Kodiak
i caught a HUGE perch in there a couple winters ago...i heard lately the perch numbers have fell off.

Pretty sure when the DNR did netting survys out there a few years ago a 16.5 inch perch showed up in the nets.

Perch used to be stocked in the lake for the eye's and muskies to eat but don't think they stock them anymore. About 5-8 years ago you could catch decent perch out there. The biggest one I caught in three years on the ice was around 11 inches. The best spot was out in the "deep spot" off the point.

About 8 years ago the crappies were nice and you could limit out in the winter in a few hours, last time I've seen nice crappies in there.

Agreed. I live by cedar and used to be the only lake I fished. Ever since 3 or 4 years ago it hasn't been the same. Fished it this year and its all 5 inch sunnies and crappies that you can see through. Used to be nice sunnies and crappies but they got hit hard. They bite too good out there and I think if it rebounds the same thing is going to happen. The winterkills are tough also. Maybe they are overpopulated and are short of food? I don't know, but I sure hope this lake rebounds and is as good as it used to be.

Joe,

What concerns me is there should be some nice panfish by now. Most lakes take 3 years for the fish to be niced sized and so far in Cedar there all still too small. My thought was all the nice sun fish 3-4 years ago got caught out but most spawned making all the little ones which by now should be decent. It's like there stunted which makes no sense on such a fertil lake.

On the other hand fished Spring last weekend and caught a bunch of crappies and sunnies all too small to keep.

It seems word spreads incredibly quickly once there is a good bite on Cedar. I remember 3 or 4 years ago, there must have been over 500 houses on the lake.

Fished Cedar last spring and did farely good with keeper crappies and bluegills. I think that besides the winter and summer kills, The fishing pressure has increased dramatically. Just like on a lot of the metro area lakes. Which is unfortunate. And The smaller fish should be good size by now like some others have said. Its too bad too here about the muskie and walleyes on shore.:( I think that we should help get the word out, and give the lake a bit of a break.

Doug,

The fish are definitely stunted or something. The crappies out there are pathetic, you can see through them. The sunnies have grown a little, but are still going to take a while before they get as big as they used to be. I'm hoping when/if they do, people dont keep so many of those slab sunnies. Spring Lake is a different story, but lots of small fish there too. Even just 2 years ago we caught some dandy sunfish and crappies out there. Fished it this year and just a bunch of little ones. Whatever the case, I hope these two lakes come back because they happen to be the two closest lakes to where I live.

There are a few nice fish still to be caught. As far as I can remember them small Crappies have been 4 to 6 inches that was about 3yrs ago. I also saw this past Summer kill there were plenty that were still of the same small size? The Walleyes were quietly gaining very good numbers in the past 4yrs but 07's Summmer kill pretty much did them in. I was also shocked to hear that the aerator wasn't really operated either that Summer. But there was questions to as if it would've helped or not due to the hot dry weather.

Looks like another 3 to 4 years down the road again...

Bummer to hear about the kill, I used to fish Cedar a lot back in the 80's and we always did great on the panfish. Great numbers and good size. We'd occasionally get some nice walleyes too.

Last time I fished it was after college and I couldn't believe how much the lake had changed. The weeds were everywhere. Found myself pulling over constantly to get weeds out of the prop. Hopefully it bounces back.