• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo?

Breakline from shallow to deap, after that 20' mark I start drilling holes until I mark some fish. Not too far from everyone but not in with them either. All the eyes i've caught this year have been late morning which doesn't sound too common. Your right though Dawg there are ALOT of breaklines out there that no one seems to fish....

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jigginjim

• fishersofmen

• davesfriend

• Kyle Sandberg

Originally Posted By: K Dawg
fom, are you fishing sturcture or are you out in no mans land? There are a lot of breaklines out there that no one seems to fish. Thanks.

There's a lot to that statement... and they are not on any map I've ever seen, paper or digital. There's a lot more to Buffalo Lake than the five or so major pieces of structure everyone fishes to death. The only way to find them is to cover a lot of open water slowly on calm days paying attention to your sonar, they are subtle, but do have fish holding power.

new to the site.going to jump rite in with recent trip to buffalo lastnite went out around 4pm-10pm caught about 20-30 crappies 8-9" and my neighbor caught 1-24" walleye about8pm in 20'. the bite start fast and died just as fast. most crappies caught on glow spoons heads,waxes,whole minnow. walleye on gold spoon with whole minnow.

Welcome to the forums. I am glad to hear that you had fish. Buffalo is one of my favorites. I need to get out there this summer with the boat and mark it more though. I had the same thing. They come on strong and then gone.. O-well. I still love it!! Once again, welcome

There must have been 400 people on that lake tonight. I guess everyone thinks they will catch alot of fish....as for me I will be out Monday morning when there is 10 people on the lake. Just figure my odds will be better. But then again I don't work in the winter either, unless it snows. \:D

Buffalo is like Mille Lacs I think. During the weekends with all the noies and pressure, the lake shuts down. If we get the right weather condtions the best time would be a weds or thursday. I personally have had better luck on those days.

KDawg...i agree. people really flood it on the wkends and it does affect patterns. anyone else noticing how the overall fishing IQ drops significantly on the wkends too? was out tonight...anyone else see that group of about 5 cars racing around in circles like idiots around 6:30 on the southwest side of the Hole? Grrrr.

There is always 10X's more trash out there too. Maybe we need to start politely informing the weekenders of proper ettiquette? Which would ALSO include not posting up w/in spitting distance of people when they are trying to get AWAY from the crowds? lol

Sorry this wasn't intended to be a [PoorWordUsage]-n-moan post...just frustrated w/ some who don't take time to stop and think. On a positive note, the bite is still hot in my opinion. Just have to search for spots away from the big groups. Nice crappies tonight!!

I was out there, and felt nervous everytime those punks came flying by about 50 yds from my thruck and portable. You can just feel the rush of compression every time they fly by and hit the rough spots. I guess I don't see why the Buffalo police don't make a stand and do something, they could put an end to it and make some money. I thought I spotted an older white Jeep kicking butt by. Then on my way home I passed an older white Jeep going through Buffalo, some young cool breeze with stocking cap pulled half way over his eyes.

Was out last night, and again had 20-30 crappies, mainly small stuff that got thrown back. I think I might try and look for another lake that produces some bigger fish. I do like the bite out there, even if they are not keepers all the time.

Buffalo PD will probably not do alot out on the lake,unless there is an emergency situation called in to 911.The Wright County Sheriff's Dept. are the cops who you need to talk to.They are the law enforcement that do the lake patrol throughout the county,including Buffalo Lake, in the summer and winter with deputies from their recreation enforcement division.If the sheriff's office gets numerous complaints about a particular lake, they will respond to deal with the ongoing problem(s).How do I know this? I was a reserve deputy with Wright County for 3 years.Calling 911 also enables the dispatchers to get a hold of the local MN DNR conservation officer as well.It really goes without saying, but it is too late to consider calling 911 after a guy gets hit on the lake by these out of control idiots.Call it in when you see morons starting to act up.The cops can't be everywhere all the time,can't enforce the law, and try to ensure public safety on the lake if they don't know what is going on.If you see something going on call 911.It is that simple.

Craig34,

Do you suppose the lake is a magnet for some of these folks due to all of the specific posts on this website on where to fish on the lake, depth, bait, lures, etc? Anyone in the metro area can log on to this site and get all of the specific information needed. Mille Lacs is one thing - it's a big lake, but the information that seems to be posted on this site is quite specific for a small lake. If that's what everyone wants - fine, but be prepared to put up with large crowds and a fair number of folks that do their scouting via the internet.

Buffalo lake has always gotten hit hard in the winter. Long before this site started.

Sometimes people in here will tell you the hot bite is,

walleyes on shiners or pimple with fatheads.

I went late Friday nite about 9pm to 1am. got nothing. Didn't even want to get close to that pile of houses. I've had good luck also during the week and tried a few Friday nights, but that was the last it's to crazy and full of idiots on the weekends. Every time I go out I come back in with a pail of peoples garbage. Propane cans and McDonalds [PoorWordUsage] mostly.

Yep I went out this morning and that lake is absolutely trashed from the weekend warriors. Pathetic. The sad thing is its not just a few, its many.

I've been to Buffalo about 15 trips this year but yesterday was the first time for a weekend trip. When I'm out during the weekdays it is nice and quite. But after yesterday all I can say is ---WOW! I got setup about 3:30pm and I made sure to set up a good deal away from any crowds. It was pretty much nonstop auger action from the time I got there until 7pm.

As far as garbage maybe it would be a good idea for some of us to put a few big garbage cans with bags out in the cities and someone can haul it to the bin at Sturges. Sad that it would have to come to that. I seriously believe some people think the ice magically disapears and so does the garbage that sits on top of it in the spring.

On another note, fishing is still decent. I managed to pick up 25 crappies by myself. Let all of them go but some were decent 10"ers - most around 8" though.

Originally Posted By: jigginjim
Buffalo lake has always gotten hit hard in the winter. Long before this site started.

Yep. Its the same thing evey year. The ice over the big hole looks like a nuclear blast zone right now, it is disgusting, fish somewhere else. And the ****-for-brains ppl are a perennial favorite, too. Like the guy 10:30pm Saturday night towing his wheelhouse at 40 MPH across the lake, and it was getting 3 feet of air behind him. No joke, man.

By the sounds of things buffalo is getting more and more polluted by airheads by the day. If there was only something that could be done about it...

I agree. Those of us who understand what the word "conservation" means will just have to pick up the slack. But is that really anything new? I'm happy to do my part on behalf of those few idiots so that people that truely value the outdoors can continue to do so. As far as specific info on the site...I don't think there is anything wrong w/ helping each other out a little. Not everyone has 5 days a week to scout lakes. So a small helpful hint here and there is nice so others can get out and enjoy the sport. But I do agree that there has to be some work done. Part of the fun is trying to find them and learn what does and doesn't work. Just remember, we were all introduced to this sport at sometime or another and we enjoy it to the fullest. Maybe those helpful hints get someone like us out to the lakes and they can get that same thrill.

I don't know if it is because of the weather or what but that bite was bad yesterday. Sunday I went out and caught 25 crappies and yesterday 1. Hardly marked any fish. The perch were biting though.

From the looks of it,the heavy fishing pressure of the past couple of days is taking a toll on the mood/activity of the fish.With thick ice,meaning less light and possibly oxygen,plus the noise of traffic above, the fish might be in a funk that could last for a couple of days.Fish the off peak hours, away from the crowds,and noise.Secondary structure, including shallower areas, will probably hold more active fish.No guarantees, but it could put the odds in a guys favor to catch more fish on a negative bite.

My son and I went out last nite south of the 8ft hump and away from the crowds and caught a few crappies.Kept 3 and threw 3 back,whiffed prolly 5.Was a nice nite tho,surprised to see how quiet it was out there after reading some of the posts here.Didn't hear hardly any augers going or whole lotta ppl driving round,then again we distanced ourselves from the crowd.

I began my morning on clearwater. put in a few hours drilling some holes in various places and scored three fish. SLOW, so left for option B.....B for Buffalo.

Moved on to Buffalo where it seem'd extremely quiet considering the Perm houses. No one out there.

We drove by an event taking place and am unsure what was going on. So, this a question. what was the purpose of the team of people cutting ice with the chain saw and the tri pod hoisting the ice to the surface.? Retrival ?

We fished Buffalo for an hour but saw nothing. Headed to Bebee where the beginnings of a contest was taking place out from the access.

The best crappies spot 20 + years ago was vacant of any fisherman. Noted the housing boom in the NW bay. headed over there and instantly began catching small sunnies and crappies.

I fished both lakes 25 years back. Crappies were larger back then. Except Clearwater still puts out 12 inch plus fish.

Was home by noon. 130 mile round trip. No fish meal this weekend.

in the truck @ 6 am. Drilled 1st hole on Clearwater @ 7:20.

off clearwater @ 9Am.

Buffalo about 9:40. fish until about 10:30. over to Bebee and there till 11:30.

mabey 3 hrs of not catching much. still went fishing. Had to return home to celibrate 30 years of being Married......... and of going fishing every saturday for 30 years as well.

Springerguy

I do agree with limiting any specifics to any small lake when posting.

I have been fishing Buffalo Lake for almost 30 years and this is by far the most pressure the lake has ever seen.

A few more years, it will be back to normal, quiet and fished out!

If anyone would like to get good posts going for the lake...Lets start by pushing for a minimum size limit for walleyes.

We should also contact the DNR in Montrose and push for a minimum 14" or 15" size on walleyes. I don't think the Natural Reproduction is accuring, so we must rely on stocking of the lake.

Every year the DNR keeps putting in the walleyes and they get caught and in the bucket before they hit 12".

This summer people had them in fish baskets over the side of the boat because they were too small for stringers!

There was a good population of 11-12" fish this year........

Was!

BigR, I need to get me one of those!!!!!