• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jigginjim

• fishersofmen

• davesfriend

• fishinalot

When you fish Buffalo or any heavy pressured lake like that.... a little tip.

Warm weather or not, always use your portable so people don't see you pull up your fish and NEVER lay your fish on the ice!!

People will hone right in and drill holes 20' away.

I learned that a long time ago.

I would never go that close to anyone, but it seems like 80% of the guys out there will!!

hows the ice out there guys? i stay in buffalo with a relative part time on mondays tuesdays and thursdays to save on fuel cause i work in plymouth :o. i would like to wait till i can drive out to fish the lake but i drive a crew cab long box f-350 and would like to wait till there is close to 20 inches for the truck, also any advice on crappies, i hate fishing in groups and it seems that there is a group were ever it looks good on the map. what should i guy look for to catch fish away from the towns, feel free to shoot me an e-mail at [email protected], thanks for any help guys

Watch out in the middle of the lake. As of yesterday there is still a large portion out there that has alot of water/slush under the snow. Some spots only 7" of ice! Your best to stay on the groomed trails with that big truck.

Anyone been catching any 'gills out there? I was setup on the edge of the hole last night fishin crops on a lite bite with waxies and low and behold and 9" gill came through the hole. I don't fish the lake much but found that to be a nice surprise.

I have been out alot this year, and finding that between the sundown bite, and the hot 10-11 o'clock bite for eyes and crapps, I get a good mix of smaller crapps, and nice bluegills. I thought I must have found a little stage ground, their here all night, and gone when an eye comes around...then back again. I have fished near that spot (30-50 yds) and same thing. Nice to catch 'em between eyes. Not bad size either. Fat lil guys!

Was out again this morning, the crappies have gotten smaller. Dont know if the bigger ones have moved shallower or deeper. Pulled in 3 nice eyes though, have just started to learn jigging this year. When I feel that bite should I just let it take it or should I set it right away?? A few times I would feel it [PoorWordUsage] quick and then nothing...if they are hungry enough will they just grab on?? Thanks for any help.

With eyes I have always been told to let him take it for a little bit. I have noticed with crappies though the fast you can pull the better chance you have.

It changes. Last weekend I had to give them line or I would pull the minnow out of their mouths after a kick or two. The weekend before I had to hit it right away or I'd miss em. I'm not sure what they will want this weekend but if the pressure stays stable I think they will be more aggressive and you will have to hit em quick.

Hey fish, If your jigging, set it now. They'll feel that jig or lure, and spit it. If you use a small enough jig with a big enough bait, they may not, but I rarely miss one, and I set it like...yesterday. \:\) Definetly seems to work (using a dead stick or float w/ hook + minnow) to let them take it. They turn with it, and then take it in better after a few seconds...as seen on t.v.(camera). Lots of luck to ya all. Eyes you got still gettin shallow in the a.m. before sun-up? Thinkin bout Sat.night, but maybe early Sunday a.m. too. Pulled over 50 crapps last Sat. night on south end, and had about 20 that where keepers of 10+. Kept 6, cuz I am only feedin me and my girl. Bit late, bigger ones came in around 9 pm. Thanks for the info on eyes,and stay warm!

I caught the eyes in 23 FOW between 9-10 in the morning. Buckshot rattler with a minnow head. All the eyes i've caught this year have been well after sun rise. Everyone says go at night but I don't catch anything of size at night, if anything at all.

I am heading up about noon tomorrow. I have never fished teh lake but the map seems to indicate two spots that seem of interest. Do most access the lake near town or do they use the NE access shown on the DNR map? Anyone else out tommorrow? My buddies bailed so I am a lone ranger and Mille Lacs ice needs another week.

Most people use the NW access. I was out tonight and that one seems to be OK. Just take you time. The weather really shut these fish down. I was marking a lot of them they just wouldn't bite. Used fatheads, crappies, spoons (both big and small), anything I could throw at them. Nothing. Pretty sure I was marking crappies but who knows? anyfish, if you go out tomorrow, be sure to bring waxies or some other small bug. These fish didn't want anything to do with a minnow. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Was out tonight and did alright with the crappies, enough 11" +'s for dinner, but no eyes wich was my main target. Get away from the crowds! i had to move 3 times though in which i did not enjoy...

Wally, what did you catch them on. I was marking a ton of fish, non of them would bite. Thanks.

I don't know how long it takes to send but I don't have it yet. Thanks anyway. \:\)

Well, decided to brave the cold and it actually paid off. I was suprised at how aggressive the bite was tonight. Hot bite after dark and until about 10pm. Fished near the hole and managed about 30 crappies...all were returned to the depths to be caught again. Some w/ some decent size too. But the overall Avg. was about 9".

KDAWG

Was about to head out yesterday but detoured to West Rush Lake. Buffalo will be my spot for a college gathering later this month. Thanks for your help!

Unless things pickup on Buffalo I would have the gathering on another lake! The fishing was better a few weeks ago.

If you do go out, I would stick to the south end of the lake. It has not had the pressure and that has been the better bite lately.

Good Luck!

Is the walleye bite gone still? I walked into cabela's to get some bait heading out to beebe for the crappies about 3 weeks ago and the board says BUFFALO: great walleye bite, 10-12' FOW blah blah blah, and the guy tells me everyone heard about the bite so they go there. Are people still hittin it hard as before?? I want to get out there, I've fished there since i was a little kid, but i don't like goin out due to all the pressure on the fish!

I got 3 last time I went out a few days ago. I always go away from the pressure. I never go in with the crowds...20-25 FOW.

fom, are you fishing sturcture or are you out in no mans land? There are a lot of breaklines out there that no one seems to fish. Thanks.