• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Buffalo?

I have not seen any posts on buffalo lately. I am going out there Satuday the 12th. Any one having any bites out there?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jigginjim

• fishersofmen

• davesfriend

• Kyle Sandberg

I had really good luck on Tuesday, the 8th on the east end of the hole in 20 FOW. Caught a limit of 11-12" crappies. Had to sort through them, lot of smaller stuff. Had caught about 30-35 just to get a decent sized limit. Walleye bite was really good to, too small for me to keep.

That sounds like alot of fun though. Even the small ones are fun to catch. Thanks for the info.

I've caught a fair amount of crappie out of there this year, but have not seen anything 11-12". Lots of 9-10" and of course a lot of them are even smaller.

Good for you to plop on top of some 11-12"ers.

Are they driving on Buffalo now? I can take the wheeler, but that means 2 trips from Albertville. One for the wheeler, one for the wheelhouse.

There are driving pretty much evreywhere on Buffalo. If your gonna take a wheelhouse out, no problem driving it out. I would go out of the South access if your going the "hole" area. I have been driving my full size out for a while now on 15-18 inches of ice. I see a few wheelhouses pulled by trucks being moved around when I am out there, so I would say no problem.

So I should be o.k. out there in a VW? I figure it would be easier than putting the wheeler on the trailer hooking up to the truck, unloading the wheeler, you know...

Alot of 9-10" crappies this year, I've pulled in dozens fishing in 22 FOW. Try to stay away from the crowds a little bit at least. Common sense should tell people when your in the middle of a city its gonna limit your catch (typically). Eyes have slowed down a little for me this week. I've always done better in the morning vs. evening on this lake.

yeah you should be good to go in a vehicle. Even a vw. There isn't much for snow on the lake, just a little bumpy ice from the ruts, but you should have no problem. If I see anyone stuck on Saturday, I'll help 'em out. just follow the road that is there, and avoid the nasty looking ruts. No problem. Good luck.

p.s. Don't drive over 15 mph. It causes the ice to bounce, and it just makes a lot of noise for other guys. Its safe enough though.

I fished for 2 hours last night and got my limit of crappies all 9"-10" and a few smaller ones and one 13" walleye. 19FOW away from the crowd by the court house. I have had good luck for crappies in the evening. I have onlyfished the morning one time and I did allright lots of action but no size.

Was out last Sunday out from the South access sitting on the ice just east of the crowd. 3 small crappies in 5 hours. We're heading out today and hopefully will have better luck. We'll have a portable and be driving a dark blue Dakota w/ a topper. Stop and say hi.

9-10" crappies, throw them back. That is why we don't see anything larger in these lakes. I will only keep them if they are over 11".

there is nothing wrong with keeping a 10 inch crappie, I actuallty throw back crappies bigger then 12 inches because those are the better females. Bottom line is dont rag on someone for keeping alittle smaller fish.

frogtster, I couldn't agree with you more. It is better for the lake to keep a limit of 9" crappies than to keep a limit of 12". The crappies are out there and for the guys willing to clean them, fishing is good and go out there and have some fun.

josterbauer, If a you only kept the larger fish, you would really be removing the heart of the gene pool. Sure keep a few larger fish. I have seen lakes where guys would only like the bigger fish. Soonyou have alake with only small panfish. I have caught more 5-6" crappies this, then any other year.Sorry but I'll keep some of those smaller fish just pickling. MMM good.

Izzy what time were you catching them sunset or after?? I can get them all morning till noon but only a few at night. And yeah i"ll take all the 10 inch craps I can get. Im not worried about emptying the lake. Besides these few winter months when guys are catching a few how many are being pulled out? I don't see a whole lot of people fishing crappies in the summer. Dont have a degree in science but I don't think throwing back the 10"s and keeping the 11"s is going to make the lake explode with monster crappies.....

I've seen it on lakes up north, everyone hears that the crappies are biting, and they keep all the small stuff along with the large, and the dnr reports show that they almost make the lake extinct with crappies. It takes years for it to recover. I'm not saying only keep the large stuff, just don't go out and keep a limit of 9-10" everytime just because you can.

josterbauer if you need some help catching some craps all you have to do is ask??? (kidding)

Last night I needed all the help I could get. Only caught 10, (didn't keep any) and really had to work for them. The snow really messed up the bite. The last few times been out, had around 30 fish each time, only kept 6. I've been fishing Buffalo for about 15 years. I just wish we could catch the eyes that we used to back then. I really like the site, and keep the posts coming. Anyone out tonight?

I went out at 5 pm and I was watching the SCSU game before the first period was over. I used a #8 glow jig with a small crappie minnow. I have noticed the last few times I was out that the smaller the minnow the better.I usually set it up at 16 FOW and will raise it up a foot or 2 and holdit for 10-15 seconds then I let it fall. I also don't go in the group of houses, I venture off towards the west.

I was out last evening, caught in the 30's kept a limit of 9 to 11 inch. I enjoy eating a meal now and then and 10 inch crappies are good in the winter. Monday night did the same thing only threw all back as I had a meal of perch from Mille Lacs (Saturday) to fry and I do not eat frozen fish if I can avoid it. The Genz bug and Eurolarvae have been doing it, only caught a few on minnow heads and Lindy Flyer.

Took a buddy out yestereday afternoon and had a great bite for a good 3 hours from 5-8pm. We both limited on crappies and threw many back. Only one decent walleye at 14".

I had my house set up in the morning and we came back in the afternoon and were surrounded. Funny thing is almost everyone was leaving right in the middle of the best bite. It was non stop for an hour!

I've been hitting them from 9-noon pretty consistently. The crappie bite has been strong this year. Caught a nice walleye sat. morn probably around 17", got it up through the hole and at my feet at my other bobber shot down so I grabbed that rod and yep....yanked that eye right back down the hole and tore my lucky crap lure off my second rod (walley shot over and tangled in my other line) think I shed a tear. I swear that walleye was laughing on its way back down. Peace.

How deep you guys fishing? I was fishing by the sunkin island on the far west side. Set-up in 3 different spots in 2 1/2 hours not a single bite. Fished 18 to 15ft used both waxies and minnows. I decide to move to a new area. Had 7 crappies in 45 minutes.

Was out yesterday from 2-8pm in 26 fow on the north edge of the hole. managed 4 keepers and 6 total. Went out again tonight from 5-10 and managed 1 keeper and 4 total. all little. noticed a lot of people have moved on from the hole. numbers really thinned out today. looks like i keep just missing em. never ceases to amaze me the difference 50 feet can make from one hole to the other. Good excuse to get out more!

We fished the south west side of the hole from 4:00 to 7:00 last night. Started marking fish about 4:30 and they were solid on the screen for 2 hours. Caught lots of 7 to 9 inch craps. nothing bigger. Bite was as light as I have ever had. A spring bobber, which I didn't have would have been a fine choice. That was the third night in the same area in the last two weeks. The first two times I was in about 20 feet. Last night 25. had a little better luck, size wise in shallower.

Good Luck!

Shallow Runner

Had alot of fun sat. morning. Bite was strong from 9am till noon or so. Alot of crappies no eyes. Mostly yellow power worms and waxies. It is fuuny how no matter how hard you try to get away somebody will always drill a hole behind you car.. What's up with that? Middle of no-where, right behind my car. C-mon people. Do what you want others to do to you please....

Unfortunately thats most peoples way of looking for fish. Park 50 ft beside you and start drilling. It happens to me every time I go out, even being away from everyone. But it is what it is...

I try not to get unstable about it. 50 feet would have been nice, but I could spit and hit this guy. I know the whole public property thing and all that, but c-mon. Please people respect others.

I try not to get unstable about it. 50 feet would have been nice, but I could spit and hit this guy. I know the whole public property thing and all that, but c-mon. Please people respect others.