• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• WE CREATE LONG TERM, MEANINGFUL RELATIONSHIPS IN HERE ... PLEASE JOIN US.

You know what we all love...

RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE
    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
waska

minnewaska lakes association

waska

Is there anyone that is member of this association?

I just had a couple questions about it.

pulsar_nx

I could be wrong but I think that the bait shop owner in Starbuck is part of it.

beer batter

You could post your question to the forum. I'm not part if the association but I know many people that are.

waska

I was wondering if the DNR and the Minnewaska Lakes Association are working together to stock fry and fingerlings or are they working separately?

As many of you know the MLA posts their signs at all accesses and asks that anglers release all walleyes under 15".

Im curious what their strategy is. To my knowledge the lake has good spawning success. Shouldn't the MLA be requesting that all walleyes, say, 19" and over be released to improve natural spawning. I know most anglers comply with the MLA but those are the anglers that are keeping walleyes up to 24" and possibly larger?

waska

how does I become a member of the MLA?

TJ25

I just came a member of the MLA, in December, you jst go to Minnewaska Bait and Tackle in Starbuck and pay, I think is was $33 or something close to the it's not much. For becoming a memeber, they have a banquiet once a year, you get a sticker that gives you access to the Priest Points access(it is just a access for winter fishing) and your money goes to stocking the lake with Walleye fingerling. The Lake Assocsication and the DNR do not work together in the restocking it is a totally different thing. And to answer you other question, I dont have a answer, I have know clue why they want you to throw back 15" and smaller, maybe for muskie bait??? \:\)

I dont know it is kinda a cool thing helping out the lake so hopefully i answered what you needed to know. Minnewaska Bait and Tackle, Starbuck, MN. The owner is a real nice guy just ask him anything else you need to know and good luck. I have been doing pretty well out there for only being my first year on the lake. I got into some 1 pound crappies and a couple nice walleyes. Had a bass break my rod out there the other day man it was fun hand-over-handing it in man, those things put up a fight through the ice never caught a bass through ice before this year and now have caught about 4 of them. I love Lake Minnewaska!

waskawood

I don't think that the natural reproduction is all that good.

beer batter

Originally Posted By: waskawood
I don't think that the natural reproduction is all that good.

I've heard the same, which is hard to believe on a lake that size. There's plenty of rock, gravel shorelines where you'd think the walleyes would be able to spawn. I don't know what else is required, but there's certainly enough big females out there to do something. I've caught and released many fish over 20 inches this winter hoping that it's all a myth. I wouldn't want to eat a 24 inch walleye anyway.

Is it possible that natural reproduction rumors are from times prior to the lake association stocking efforts when the walleye counts weren't so high?

kobear

The lake report refers to the numbers not being this high since the 80's which predates the lake association stocking. It also says the population tracks the natural reproduction peaking when it's good and falling when it isn't. I've heard that Dean Beck made the comment that each keeper walleye caught generated by stocking costs about $10 in inputs, wouldn't it be cheaper just to mail each member some purchased fillets? I was suprised to find out that eurasian milfoil is in Minnewaska.

waska

Im up to 12 walleyes 21"-28" thus far, my best big fish year on waska ever. No crappies. Last year was the year of the crappie

I have to believe that there is some decent natural spawning occurring, why would the DNR and MLA even really bother if they didn't believe those fish were going to eventually spawn? The rate isn't as good as lakes in the north due to bottom structures.

Minnewaska is a bass lake. Cold hard truth. I hate everything about bass fishing but it is what it is.