• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

To shovel or not?

merkman

I usually shovel about 6 ft out from the hole in all directions to let more light in. Is this a good idea or not? It seems that not too many people do that?

I usually like to have snow on the ice to keep the glare down. I have found that darker is better, and seems to spook the fish less and make them easier to see.

It all depends on how much snow and the thickness of the ice. If it’s a lot of snow I would shovel some so it gets lighter. If the ice is thick it helps some to shovel. If the water is murky it helps to see a lot better. But on clear thin ice shovel just enough to bank your house. The lighter the water is it lightens things up in your house also so it might spook some fish if they see movement up above? There’s been a few times when the lake froze smooth as glass and no snow the fish were real spooky and any movement they disappeared in a flash. cry.gif

Originally Posted By: merkman
I usually shovel about 6 ft out from the hole in all directions to let more light in. Is this a good idea or not? It seems that not too many people do that?

I bank my house as tight as i can so there is no light coming in at all. Reason that i do this, is becuase i want it as dark as i possibly can have it. I believe that i am able to see better when it is complety dark around my house

i agree with bns. keep it dark. if you shovel around your fishhouse it makes it lighter in that area and creates spooky fish. i expereinced this, speared several times on lakes with no snow and just set up had REALLY spooky fish, moved to a spot/area that had cloudy ice and definietly improved on seeing moer and nicer fish. just my 2 bits worth.

I have never shoveled snow away. I always shovel it to the house. It helps me see better in clear or cloudy water.

Plus, if there is a glare through the ice, it will keep many fish away.

The lake itself will get enough light from the sun when its sunny out, that if you have the house banked up, the darkness that is in the house, will light the hole up even more when you have to sun lighting up the lake.

We shovel snow away from the side of the house where the hole is. I don't know if it helps much, but it certainly doesn't hurt.